Re-Create that 450MB Recovery Partition?


  1. Posts : 250
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1903
       #1

    Re-Create that 450MB Recovery Partition?


    In a fit of over zealous tidying up after installing Win 10 on my lappie, I deleted the 450MB Recovery Partition that the upgrade from Windows 7 created at the end of the main partition.

    1) What was actually in that partition and why would I want it.

    2) If I do want it, how to re-create it ...?

    Thanks
    Dave
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 2,790
    Linux Mint 20.1 Win10Prox64
       #2

    Recovery partition is where Windows stores the WinRe.wim which allows you to create a recovery disk or get into the recovery environment to repair/Trouble shoot/Restore/Reset/Refresh etc...
    Re-Create that 450MB Recovery Partition?-.jpg
    Now that you've deleted it. Those features won't be available and you won't be able to create a USB Recovery disk.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 3,846
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       #3

    And the only way to get it back (working properly) is to re-install / clean install the windows 10 OS
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 123,578
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.708
       #4

    Use freeware program to remove 450mb partition


    After going from Win 7 to win 10 the upgrade made two extra partitions in my boot system. I only need the orginal which was 100mg (Windows 7) I found a GREAT partition utility and used the iso version booted from dvd and added
    the two partitions to my mine partition giving my main hd 900 megs more HD space. Rebooted and everything ran fine.

    Program is called MiniTool Partition Wizard ,their are 2 versions, you want only the ISO version, burn it to a cd/dvd disk then boot to it. You can get back a lot of your hard drive space if you want too, just like it was before changing to Windows 10. Again this program is Free and works real well. No need to re-install your OS if you don't want too.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 3,846
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       #5

    OldMike, how does the reset feature work for you ??

    You would now have to (if needed) completely re-install OS, re-install all drivers, and re-download all the windows updates..
    Or you could of kept that 450MB partition and Just Reset the PC
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 123,578
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.708
       #6

    Kyhi said:
    OldMike, how does the reset feature work for you ??

    You would now have to (if needed) completely re-install OS, re-install all drivers, and re-download all the windows updates..
    Or you could of kept that 450MB partition and Just Reset the PC
    That is NOT true sir!!! It was VERY easy to delete those partitions, then add them to my primary partition. Keeping my original system partition of 100mgs. I had NO problems. You have to change this partitions from the mini partition boot disk (ISO version) Did this about 10 days ago, had no problem. Worked fine.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 123,578
    Windows 11 Pro (x64) 21H2 Build 22000.708
       #7

    One more thing, I gained 900mgs of hard drive space back after removing the recovery partitions, Windows 10 made TWO on my SSD each was 450mgs!! You don't need any recovery partition on your drive, just make one on a DVD.
    Best way is to backup your system , meaning a complete backup of hard drive. (system partition too) I've done it this way for years, this is the best method I think.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 40
    Windows 10 Pro 64bits
       #8

    OldMike65 said:
    One more thing, I gained 900mgs of hard drive space back after removing the recovery partitions, Windows 10 made TWO on my SSD each was 450mgs!! You don't need any recovery partition on your drive, just make one on a DVD.
    Best way is to backup your system , meaning a complete backup of hard drive. (system partition too) I've done it this way for years, this is the best method I think.
    How exactly do you do that
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 17,278
    Windows 11 Pro
       #9

    nanakji said:
    How exactly do you do that
    This is what I like to have:
    Combination Windows 10 and Kyhi's Recovery Tools USB flash drive

    With a combination Windows 10 installation and Kyhi's recovery tools bootable USB flash drive you can do everything the recovery partition was capable of and much, much more including recovery of an image of your hard drive once you make one with Macrium Reflect.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 40
    Windows 10 Pro 64bits
       #10

    NavyLCDR said:
    This is what I like to have:
    Combination Windows 10 and Kyhi's Recovery Tools USB flash drive

    With a combination Windows 10 installation and Kyhi's recovery tools bootable USB flash drive you can do everything the recovery partition was capable of and much, much more including recovery of an image of your hard drive once you make one with Macrium Reflect.
    Thanks sir for kind answer
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums