File explorer icon size

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 151
    Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit
       #1

    File explorer icon size


    Heyo

    Is there a way to set the size of every icon in file explorer to be the same all throughout my C drive?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 17,832
    Windows 10
       #2

    Sweetsweetcorn said:
    Heyo

    Is there a way to set the size of every icon in file explorer to be the same all throughout my C drive?
    Yes, choose view, open view options/view/Apply to Folders/'Do you want all folders to match...'/click yes.

    Do this for all folders types and their sub-folders.

    File explorer icon size-000586.png
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 151
    Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Edwin said:
    Yes, choose view, open view options/view/Apply to Folders/'Do you want all folders to match...'/click yes.

    Do this for all folders types and their sub-folders.

    File explorer icon size-000586.png
    Hey

    Thanks for your response. How do I get the Folder Options window up?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 17,832
    Windows 10
       #4

    Sweetsweetcorn said:
    Hey

    Thanks for your response. How do I get the Folder Options window up?
    Options...

    File explorer icon size-nj1ufygu7vw01.png
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 812
    Windows 10 Professional x64 21H2
       #5

    Sweetsweetcorn said:
    Hey

    Thanks for your response. How do I get the Folder Options window up?
    Windows Key + E Click File \ Change Folder and Search Options \ View.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 151
    Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Edwin said:
    Options...

    File explorer icon size-nj1ufygu7vw01.png
    Aha.

    Doing this for every folder type is tedious and I might easily miss one. I do not even know how many folder types there even are and how to get them all up.

    Is there no way to just get this done for every folder type on my PC.. maybe even including when external drives are plugged in? I am fed up witht the inconsistency when I go through folders using my computer.

    Maybe there is some way to modify Windows 10 for this? I am even open to using 3rd party software.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 17,832
    Windows 10
       #7

    Sweetsweetcorn said:
    Aha.

    Doing this for every folder type is tedious and I might easily miss one. I do not even know how many folder types there even are and how to get them all up.

    Is there no way to just get this done for every folder type on my PC.. maybe even including when external drives are plugged in? I am fed up with the inconsistency when I go through folders using my computer.

    Maybe there is some way to modify Windows 10 for this? I am even open to using 3rd party software.
    You have to customize the view for each of these 5 folder types, and possibly some sub-folders...

    File explorer icon size-000593.png

    Takes me 6 minutes.

    You'll need to do the same for Recycle Bin and the odd Control Panel applet, Programs and Features for example, if you want.

    'One click fix' is always hit and miss!
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 959
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
       #8

    Large Icons


    If you want something more comprehensive than Apply to Folders (which doesn't affect SearchResults or Libraries), you can use this PowerShell. Because it modifies HKLM, it must be run from an Admin PowerShell
    console.
    Code:
    ###***-- Run from an Admin PowerShell console --***###
    
    
    $RegFile = "$Env:Temp\AllFolders-SameColumns.reg"
    $Content = @"
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00`n
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Defaults]`n
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU]`n
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]`n
    "@ # Content
    
    
    $Prepend = '[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell\'
    $Append  = @"
    ]
    "Mode"=dword:00000001
    "LogicalViewMode"=dword:00000003
    "IconSize"=dword:00000060`n`n
    "@ # $Append
    
    
    $FT      = 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes'
    $Include = 'Documents|Downloads|Generic|Home|Music|Pictures|Searches|UserFiles|UsersLibraries|Videos'
    
    
    gci $FT | Get-ItemProperty | 
       ? CanonicalName -match $Include | Select -expand PSChildName |
    ForEach{
       $Content += "$Prepend$_$Append"
    }
    $Content | Set-Content $RegFile
    Reg import $RegFile
    gps explorer | spps

    The reg values in the code above will set all folders to Details Large Icons. Use the Mode, LogicalViewMode, and IconSize values from this table for other View Modes. ( Note that IconSize values should be converted to hex before editing code. )

    Code:
    PS C:\Windows>>Import-Csv "C:\Users\keith\Sandbox\Folder View Defaults\Icon Mode LogicalVieMode Vid.csv" | ft
    
    Name        LVM Mode Vid                                    IconSize
    ----        --- ---- ---                                    --------
    Details     1   4    {137E7700-3573-11CF-AE69-08002B2E1262} 16
    Tiles       2   6    {65F125E5-7BE1-4810-BA9D-D271C8432CE3} 48
    SmIcons     3   1    {089000C0-3573-11CF-AE69-08002B2E1262} 16..31
    Icons(M-XL) 3   1    {0057D0E0-3573-11CF-AE69-08002B2E1262} 33..256
    List        4   3    {0E1FA5E0-3573-11CF-AE69-08002B2E1262} 16
    Content     5   8    {30C2C434-0889-4C8D-985D-A9F71830B0A9} 32
    Last edited by KeithM; 29 Jun 2020 at 17:44. Reason: Code mod for XL icon mode
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 151
    Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit
    Thread Starter
       #9

    KeithM said:
    If you want something more comprehensive than Apply to Folders (which doesn't affect SearchResults or Libraries), you can use this PowerShell. Because it modifies HKLM, it must be run from an Admin PowerShell
    console.
    Code:
    ###***-- Run from an Admin PowerShell console --***###
    
    $RegFile = "$Env:Temp\AllFolders-SameColumns.reg"
    $Content = @"
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00`n
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Defaults]`n
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU]`n
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]`n
    "@ # Content
    
    $Prepend = '[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell\'
    $Append  = @"
    ]
    "Mode"=dword:00000004
    "LogicalViewMode"=dword:00000001
    "IconSize"=dword:00000010`n`n
    "@ # $Append
    
    $FT      = 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes'
    $Include = 'Documents|Downloads|Generic|Home|Music|Pictures|Searches|UserFiles|UsersLibraries|Videos'
    
    gci $FT | Get-ItemProperty | 
       ? CanonicalName -match $Include | Select -expand PSChildName |
    ForEach{
       $Content += "$Prepend$_$Append"
    }
    $Content | Set-Content $RegFile
    Reg import $RegFile

    The reg values in the code above will set all folders to Details. Use the Mode, LogicalViewMode, and IconSize values from this table for other View Modes. ( Note that IconSize values should be converted to hex before editing code. )

    Code:
    PS C:\Windows>>Import-Csv "C:\Users\keith\Sandbox\Folder View Defaults\Icon Mode LogicalVieMode Vid.csv" | ft
    
    Name        LVM Mode Vid                                    IconSize
    ----        --- ---- ---                                    --------
    Details     1   4    {137E7700-3573-11CF-AE69-08002B2E1262} 16
    Tiles       2   8    {65F125E5-7BE1-4810-BA9D-D271C8432CE3} 48
    SmIcons     3   1    {089000C0-3573-11CF-AE69-08002B2E1262} 16..31
    Icons(M-XL) 3   1    {0057D0E0-3573-11CF-AE69-08002B2E1262} 33..256
    List        4   3    {0E1FA5E0-3573-11CF-AE69-08002B2E1262} 16
    Content     5   8    {30C2C434-0889-4C8D-985D-A9F71830B0A9} 32
    Sweet! I hope that will work, I will try it later.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 151
    Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit
    Thread Starter
       #10

    KeithM said:
    If you want something more comprehensive than Apply to Folders (which doesn't affect SearchResults or Libraries), you can use this PowerShell. Because it modifies HKLM, it must be run from an Admin PowerShell
    console.
    Code:
    ###***-- Run from an Admin PowerShell console --***###
    
    
    $RegFile = "$Env:Temp\AllFolders-SameColumns.reg"
    $Content = @"
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00`n
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Defaults]`n
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU]`n
    [-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags]`n
    "@ # Content
    
    
    $Prepend = '[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell\'
    $Append  = @"
    ]
    "Mode"=dword:00000001
    "LogicalViewMode"=dword:00000003
    "IconSize"=dword:00000060`n`n
    "@ # $Append
    
    
    $FT      = 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes'
    $Include = 'Documents|Downloads|Generic|Home|Music|Pictures|Searches|UserFiles|UsersLibraries|Videos'
    
    
    gci $FT | Get-ItemProperty | 
       ? CanonicalName -match $Include | Select -expand PSChildName |
    ForEach{
       $Content += "$Prepend$_$Append"
    }
    $Content | Set-Content $RegFile
    Reg import $RegFile
    gps explorer | spps

    The reg values in the code above will set all folders to Details Large Icons. Use the Mode, LogicalViewMode, and IconSize values from this table for other View Modes. ( Note that IconSize values should be converted to hex before editing code. )

    Code:
    PS C:\Windows>>Import-Csv "C:\Users\keith\Sandbox\Folder View Defaults\Icon Mode LogicalVieMode Vid.csv" | ft
    
    Name        LVM Mode Vid                                    IconSize
    ----        --- ---- ---                                    --------
    Details     1   4    {137E7700-3573-11CF-AE69-08002B2E1262} 16
    Tiles       2   6    {65F125E5-7BE1-4810-BA9D-D271C8432CE3} 48
    SmIcons     3   1    {089000C0-3573-11CF-AE69-08002B2E1262} 16..31
    Icons(M-XL) 3   1    {0057D0E0-3573-11CF-AE69-08002B2E1262} 33..256
    List        4   3    {0E1FA5E0-3573-11CF-AE69-08002B2E1262} 16
    Content     5   8    {30C2C434-0889-4C8D-985D-A9F71830B0A9} 32
    Someone please edit his code so that when I use it, everything shows up in list view?
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:20.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums