How to search for a file?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 108
    Windows 10
       #1

    How to search for a file?


    This is getting crazy. Having migrated from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I now find that I cannot search for files. I select "This PC", type "bpextract.dat" in the search box, press enter and nothing happens.

    What am I doing wrong?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1,778
    Windows 10 Pro,
       #2

    That is the way that I do it with Windows 10. Alternately you can just press the Windows button on your keyboard and start typing your file name. Either way works perfectly with Windows 10.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 108
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Rocky said:
    That is the way that I do it with Windows 10. Alternately you can just press the Windows button on your keyboard and start typing your file name. Either way works perfectly with Windows 10.
    Hmmm... I'm getting a bit fed up with all these responses saying "works perfectly with Windows 10". See http://www.swiftys.org.uk/wiz?780

    I'll withhold judgement until Microsoft UK's support has had a chance to fix some of the plethora of problems that beset me after migrating to Windows 10.

    Going back to Windows 7, and staying there until I'm in my grave is looking very tempting at the moment.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 354
    Widows 10/Linux
       #4

    I've always used https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack very powerful, ok in W10
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,778
    Windows 10 Pro,
       #5

    Swifty said:
    Hmmm... I'm getting a bit fed up with all these responses saying "works perfectly with Windows 10". See http://www.swiftys.org.uk/wiz?780

    I'll withhold judgement until Microsoft UK's support has had a chance to fix some of the plethora of problems that beset me after migrating to Windows 10.

    Going back to Windows 7, and staying there until I'm in my grave is looking very tempting at the moment.

    But did you even try it? If you did, what happened?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 5,487
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
       #6

    first I set the taskbar search to show search icon[right click on the taskbar to do that] then when I search it says search the web next to the file name I put in ,but there is a my stuff icon near the bottom I click that it finds the file ,the same file that when I went to thispc ,and searched it found nothing
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 13
    Windows 10
       #7

    Torquemada said:
    I've always used https://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack very powerful, ok in W10
    I second Agent Ransack! My go to program and its super quick!
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 13,959
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
       #8

    I prefer Everything Search for finding files by almost any piece of the name or ext.
    AgentRansack if I have to search in files for something.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 108
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    caperjack said:
    first I set the taskbar search to show search icon[right click on the taskbar to do that] then when I search it says search the web next to the file name I put in ,but there is a my stuff icon near the bottom I click that it finds the file ,the same file that when I went to thispc ,and searched it found nothing
    I tried that, and it found my files "bpextract.dat". So, just for the fun of it, I searched "This PC" as well, and that also found the files. It did, however, take about two minutes before any results appeared.

    Yesterday, it wasn't switching from the "This PC" view to the (initially) blank search results. Today, it does.

    I think that the windows search function is similar to office photocopiers... they have a chip inside that detects stress. When stress is detected, they activate the "jam paper" function.

    Yesterday, the Windows search could detect that I was very stressed (something had just changed my password, and I was facing the loss of all my EFS encrypted files) so it decided to play up.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 354
    Widows 10/Linux
       #10

    Try both of the softwares mentioned you may get a faster result. You can always uninstall 'em. But first thing, do a back up somewhere external if possible, saves a lot of tears.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums