Why does "sleep" go to "hibernate" after awile?


  1. Posts : 397
    Windows 10
       #1

    Why does "sleep" go to "hibernate" after awile?


    When I'm not done using my laptop for the day, I put it in sleep mode so it starts up faster when I turn it back on. When I do this when the laptop is plugged into an electrical outlet, this seems to work alright, but if it's not plugged in and just running on battery, it only stays in sleep mode for maybe a half hour or so, and then seems to go to hibernate. I say this because when I turn the computer back on any later than that after being in sleep on battery power, the black "DELL" screen pops up first for awhile, just as if I had hibernated the computer. Normally after being put to sleep, the lock screen comes up right away.

    Is there a setting to change so that it stays in sleep mode?
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 4,468
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
       #2
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 61,915
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
       #3

    Hello Delly,

    This is normal when you have hibernate enabled, and for what you have set in Sleep > Hibernate after in Power Options.

    To stop this, you can either disable Hibernate, or set "Hibernate after" to "Never".

    Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10

    Change Power Plan Settings in Windows 10
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 4,468
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
       #4

    Brink said:
    This is normal when you have hibernate enabled, and for what you have set in Sleep > Hibernate after in Power Options.
    So it is normal. I wasn't sure.
    Thanks, Shawn!

      My Computer


  5. Posts : 61,915
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
       #5

    Compumind said:
    So it is normal. I wasn't sure.
    Thanks, Shawn!

      My Computers


  6. Posts : 397
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Brink said:
    Hello Delly,

    This is normal when you have hibernate enabled, and for what you have set in Sleep > Hibernate after in Power Options.

    To stop this, you can either disable Hibernate, or set "Hibernate after" to "Never".

    Enable or Disable Hibernate in Windows 10

    Change Power Plan Settings in Windows 10
    Yes, it turned out to be a power plan setting. I found that it was set to hibernate while in sleep mode while operating on battery after 180 minutes, although it seems like it's been hibernating far sooner than that. The "plugged in" time to go from sleep to hibernate was 1080 minutes. I changed the battery sleep time to match. We'll see if that changes anything.

    - - - Updated - - -

    It did! I went to power plan settings and found the adjustment to make.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 61,915
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
       #7

    Great news Delly. I hope that sorts it for you.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 4,468
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
       #8

    Brink said:
    Great news Delly. I hope that sorts it for you.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:23.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums