Two different Windows 10 PCs - identical consistent lockup?


  1. Posts : 119
    Windows 10 64
       #1

    Two different Windows 10 PCs - identical consistent lockup?


    I'll keep this simple:

    I've been plagued for about two years now with lock ups on waking. Intermittent - sporasic, infrequent - not every wake, but always lurking in the background ready to pounce. The style of the freeze has varied a little, but whereas before I puzzled over it being a faulty component, I now have a 100% new PC with 100% different components and it still gives the same issue. Basically freezes immediately on wake, doesn't turn monitor on and all peripherals are frozen.

    So it isn't hardware.

    Which leaves Windows itself.

    Or an app.

    Is sleep/wake a huge known issue on Windows 10? I just didn't have these problems on 7.

    I'm not sure what I'm actually asking for here, I'm just so frustrated that this has gone on 24 months. On two completely different PCs.

    Advice please.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 35,570
    Win 10 Pro (21H2) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #2

    FWIW, I've never seen this on 2 laptops thru builds from 1511, or heard of this.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 119
    Windows 10 64
    Thread Starter
       #3

    dalchina said:
    FWIW, I've never seen this on 2 laptops thru builds from 1511, or heard of this.
    Hi Dalchina, I recall your assistance before, thank you for all your efforts.

    Yes, I seem to just be cursed!
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 25,080
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #4

    DannyG13 said:
    I seem to just be cursed!
    Like Dalchina, I haven't seen any of my laptops freeze on waking from sleep or hibernation.


    However, I do occasionally see the 'File Open' or 'File Save' dialog freeze. I have worked out that this only happens when the last open/save location was a network share, and that PC is turned off when next I use File Open or Save and therefore unavailable..


    As it happens on both your machines, this could be down to something you have set up the same way on both. Do you have any mapped network drives? Of do you sync your desktop via a Microsoft account or files in OneDrive? It may be that the freeze is while it is waiting to re-establish a network connection on resuming from sleep. WiFi in particular may be slow to wake up.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 119
    Windows 10 64
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Bree said:
    Like Dalchina, I haven't seen any of my laptops freeze on waking from sleep or hibernation.


    However, I do occasionally see the 'File Open' or 'File Save' dialog freeze. I have worked out that this only happens when the last open/save location was a network share, and that PC is turned off when next I use File Open or Save and therefore unavailable..


    As it happens on both your machines, this could be down to something you have set up the same way on both. Do you have any mapped network drives? Of do you sync your desktop via a Microsoft account or files in OneDrive? It may be that the freeze is while it is waiting to re-establish a network connection on resuming from sleep. WiFi in particular may be slow to wake up.

    Hi Bree! Yes, a configuration option or app is now the only answer. I don't have any mapped network drives, my Windows account is offline and not synced to MS, and I don't use OneDrive. WiFi is something I only just got a week ago on this new motherboard so it wasn't that.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 7,128
    Windows 10 Pro Insider
       #6

    Do you have any 3rd party apps or programs running in the background that are installed on both computers? If you do you could try disabling or uninstalling them one at a time to see if the problem stops.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 35,570
    Win 10 Pro (21H2) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #7

    Good thought about network issues- however I note that all I get is a warning popup that some network drive can't be accessed.

    Suggest you compare a clean boot (Google or see tutorial if unsure how) and then Safe Mode.

    If a clean boot => no freezes, work back from there.

    How many drives do you have in the PC? Try with just your system drive present.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 119
    Windows 10 64
    Thread Starter
       #8

    dalchina said:
    Good thought about network issues- however I note that all I get is a warning popup that some network drive can't be accessed.

    Suggest you compare a clean boot (Google or see tutorial if unsure how) and then Safe Mode.

    If a clean boot => no freezes, work back from there.

    How many drives do you have in the PC? Try with just your system drive present.

    The problem with clean boot is the rare nature of this happening. I can go weeks just fine then get an inexplicable lockup. So unfortunately creating the right conditions to replicate it is very hard.

    I have four drives, but that's void too - this happened on a different config of drives on my old PC.

    However!

    I did remember one of the reliability monitor reports gave me a holy grail many months ago, of identifying an error code. And it IDd the Nvidia drivers. So I tried February's set and they ran me stable all through till mid-May which is unheard of.

    I'd forgotten that so I've returned to that older set and will see if they restore the stability.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Winuser said:
    Do you have any 3rd party apps or programs running in the background that are installed on both computers? If you do you could try disabling or uninstalling them one at a time to see if the problem stops.
    Logical, right? Sadly, already tried that one and couldn't ID any culprit app apart from an old version of Malwarebytes. I no longer have it installed.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 119
    Windows 10 64
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Happened again.

    Googled this.

    "windows was not properly shut down" on wake - Google Search

    This is, give or take, what's happening to me.

    And by what I'm reading here, there's no cure. Windows 10 is just a horror for waking and plays badly with a lot of different configurations.

    I never had a single problem with 7. And a tonne with 10. This is a huge drawback of Windows 10.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,169
    win10 home
       #10

    Try ---powercfg /help---in the cmd window.There are numerous switches to try and could give some useful information,or not.
    Worth a go.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums