Restart/Start issues

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Professional 64
       #1

    Restart/Start issues


    Hi, I'm new but I've been around a few times and I thank you all for the invaluable help and tips.
    I just upgraded my Dell Optiplex 960 (ancient) Core 2 Duo, 8GB, to Windows 10 professional 64 (10.0.10941 build 10941) from 7 pro 64. I had to fight all the way through the install because it hung at the first restart. I finally got it installed through a little trial and error, but mainly by luck, with a cold start after initial step of install.
    Ever since, I can only get Windows to boot with a cold start, and it has to be really cold, if I turn the PC back on right away it won't boot. (Sometimes the only way is to pull the plug!)
    Actual symptoms are: hanging at the initial Windows logo with swirling dots for hours, or the PC saying that there's no boot device. Sometimes Windows seems to mess up the settings in BIOS and after I fix that it boots, but only if I shut the PC first and give it some time.
    I tried disabling Fast Boot, and I reflashed my BIOS. Any help would be appreciated.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 4,472
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
       #2

    Hi Schloz -

    Welcome To Windows 10 Forums!

    Could you please try this and let me know if it works?

    Tails - Home

    Thanks!

      My Computer


  3. Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Professional 64
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Compumind said:
    Hi Schloz -

    Welcome To Windows 10 Forums!

    Could you please try this and let me know if it works?

    Tails - Home

    Thanks!

    Try what?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 4,472
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
       #4

    Shloz said:
    Try what?
    LOL. Installing Tails on a USB flash drive, per the link provided.

      My Computer


  5. Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Professional 64
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Compumind said:
    LOL. Installing Tails on a USB flash drive, per the link provided.

    Is that your way of telling me not to bother getting Windows 10 to work on my old hardware?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 4,472
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
       #6

    Shloz said:
    Is that your way of telling me not to bother getting Windows 10 to work on my old hardware?
    No, it will help me to diagnose your problem. It's all on a USB Flash Drive.

      My Computer


  7. Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Professional 64
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Ok I'll try it. What info would you need from me once I boot from Tails?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 4,472
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
       #8

    Shloz said:
    Ok I'll try it. What info would you need from me once I boot from Tails?
    See if your computer boots normally from a cold start (enable USB boot or burn to a CD if USB boot not available.)
    If it works, than you will probably need a clean install of Windows 10, if it is not a hardware issue.

    I am assuming that you have another computer to build Tails.

      My Computer


  9. Posts : 10
    Windows 10 Professional 64
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Compumind said:
    See if your computer boots normally from a cold start (enable USB boot or burn to a CD if USB boot not available.)
    If it works, than you will probably need a clean install of Windows 10, if it is not a hardware issue.

    I just booted the Windows 10 install media from USB, that's how I installed Windows 10. Does that tell you anything? Or does it need to be Tails?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 4,472
    Windows 10 Pro x64, Various Linux Builds, Networking, Storage, Cybersecurity Specialty.
       #10

    Shloz said:
    I just booted the Windows 10 install media from USB, that's how I installed Windows 10. Does that tell you anything? Or does it need to be Tails?
    Yes, but you have a problem with Windows 10. Let's eliminate the hardware, unless you wish to go for the clean install:

    Clean Install Windows 10

    Download Windows 10 ISO File

    It's up to you. Reset your BIOS to default settings, first.

      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums