Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10
       12 Aug 2015 #1

    Windows 10 update, Nvidia Update, Automatic Repair loop


    Argh! Need help!

    Windows 10 installed and have an Nvidia grfx card which caused a problem with the driver which I managed to get round. Been using Windows 10 quite happily, until today.

    PC crashed not long after boot. Last thing I remember seeing was a notification from NVidia control panel saying new optimized settings had been downloaded for a game... a short time later the computer, which was sitting idle, encountered a critical error and rebooted.

    I am now stuck in a perpetual diagnosis/automatic repair loop. None of the safe boot options work and can't reset (keeping files) either.

    I am not a technical person and am at a loss as to what to do :-(
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    12 Aug 2015 #2

    carrumba said: View Post
    Argh! Need help!

    Windows 10 installed and have an Nvidia grfx card which caused a problem with the driver which I managed to get round. Been using Windows 10 quite happily, until today.

    PC crashed not long after boot. Last thing I remember seeing was a notification from NVidia control panel saying new optimized settings had been downloaded for a game... a short time later the computer, which was sitting idle, encountered a critical error and rebooted.

    I am now stuck in a perpetual diagnosis/automatic repair loop. None of the safe boot options work and can't reset (keeping files) either.

    I am not a technical person and am at a loss as to what to do :-(
    Heard somewhere else about this issue.....MS does auto driver updates, you can't turn them off...apparently MS get nvidia driver updates before they are available to GeForce experience ( nvidia update service ) so if MS updates, then Gforce experience doesn't recognise the update and replaces it with its own version , at which time MS sees an old driver and promptly downloads the latest driver and installs that....an almost never ending loop.....what I have done ( having heard about this potential issue ) is uninstall GeForce experience and let MS do all the nvidia updating.....don't like this, but it's something MS have forced on us all ( we should have the option to chose driver updates ) you could also go to wi does 10 settings updates I think advanced and look for update history and possibly uninstall latest nvidia update.....or leave as is and just uninstall GeForce experience .......hope that helps, at least a little.

    another person I helped with a PC that kept rebooting benefited from this.
    use a boot USB pen, created from windows media creator, with your version W10.....boot from this then after selecting language chose repair, bottom left corner then chose command prompt....and enter these one at a time...
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec.exe /fixboot
    bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
    may get you out of your reboot loop.....it also has options to go back to a restore point...reset PC etc...

    let me know how things proceed.....will help as much as I can
    Last edited by reddwarf4ever; 12 Aug 2015 at 14:13. Reason: extra info
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10
       12 Aug 2015 #3

    Cheers for the reply.

    Am going to try the USB boot method (creating at moment). I can get into all the options to boot in safe mode, recover etc but nothing works. Cannot revert...can't do anything but I'll try your instructions and see what happens.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    12 Aug 2015 #4

    carrumba said: View Post
    Cheers for the reply.

    Am going to try the USB boot method (creating at moment). I can get into all the options to boot in safe mode, recover etc but nothing works. Cannot revert...can't do anything but I'll try your instructions and see what happens.
    good luck....don't despair, we will get it fixed....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10
       12 Aug 2015 #5

    Aha..

    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec.exe /fixboot
    bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

    Managed to restore old version of windows (Windows 7) so am hoping this is going to solve things for me. Will then uninstall Geforce Experience before re-upgrading to Windows 10!

    Thanks for the help!

    ***EDIT***

    False dawn- stated my copy of Windows 7 Home Premium was not genuine - well, it ruddy well was before upgrading to Windows 10!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 1
    win 10
       12 Aug 2015 #6

    win 10 unable to reboot it's just black screen


    Hi
    sorry i'm not trying to reply to you but i don't know how to post my question.
    My question is i tried to update hard derive software for win. 10 and it's remain black screen and unable to restart.
    HP nc6320 laptop.
    regard




    carrumba said: View Post
    Argh! Need help!

    Windows 10 installed and have an Nvidia grfx card which caused a problem with the driver which I managed to get round. Been using Windows 10 quite happily, until today.

    PC crashed not long after boot. Last thing I remember seeing was a notification from NVidia control panel saying new optimized settings had been downloaded for a game... a short time later the computer, which was sitting idle, encountered a critical error and rebooted.

    I am now stuck in a perpetual diagnosis/automatic repair loop. None of the safe boot options work and can't reset (keeping files) either.

    I am not a technical person and am at a loss as to what to do :-(
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    12 Aug 2015 #7

    Gashe said: View Post
    Hi
    sorry i'm not trying to reply to you but i don't know how to post my question.
    My question is i tried to update hard derive software for win. 10 and it's remain black screen and unable to restart.
    HP nc6320 laptop.
    regard
    for attention of GASHE

    you need to create this as a separate / new post.....must click on new post.....at top left of forum screen...

    you can't hijack another post with a new question.....sorry
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    12 Aug 2015 #8

    carrumba said: View Post
    Aha..

    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec.exe /fixboot
    bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

    Managed to restore old version of windows (Windows 7) so am hoping this is going to solve things for me. Will then uninstall Geforce Experience before re-upgrading to Windows 10!

    Thanks for the help!

    ***EDIT***

    False dawn- stated my copy of Windows 7 Home Premium was not genuine - well, it ruddy well was before upgrading to Windows 10!
    do you have the product key for windows 7 ? if so if you go to computer properties I am sure it has an option to enter a new windows key......try this
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10
       13 Aug 2015 #9

    reddwarf4ever said: View Post
    do you have the product key for windows 7 ? if so if you go to computer properties I am sure it has an option to enter a new windows key......try this
    Had win 7 for years and no idea of product key - came ready installed from YoYotech... probably had the paperwork somewhere but goodness knows where! Will check the comp for stickers however it's just giving me a black screen with small writing bottom right saying "This is not a genuine copy of windows" and then "Build 7xxx" Can't remember the exact build number.

    Going to try again now I have slept on it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10
       13 Aug 2015 #10

    carrumba said: View Post
    Had win 7 for years and no idea of product key - came ready installed from YoYotech... probably had the paperwork somewhere but goodness knows where! Will check the comp for stickers however it's just giving me a black screen with small writing bottom right saying "This is not a genuine copy of windows" and then "Build 7xxx" Can't remember the exact build number.

    Going to try again now I have slept on it.
    Right... have tried to boot from USB but startup Repair is unable to fix.
    Reset PC doesn't work.
    It has an option for UEFI Firmware settings - not a clue what that is.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Automatic Repair Loop
I installed the Windows 10 Technical Preview yesterday, and at the end of the day, it froze up. I shut down the system and turned it back on this morning, finding the OS stuck in the infamous "Automatic Repair Loop." I ended up having to install a...
Performance & Maintenance
Solved Reboot Loop, cannot open Automatic Repair, can't run setup from USB
I was running the Win 10 build 10074, in the slow ring. I left it unattended for update, which included the newer build 10130. Before leaving, it was at 99% downloaded. When I returned after 30 mins, it was stuck in an endless restart loop. It...
General Support
PC reboot loop after update to Windows 10
Good morning everyone, I was using a machine with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, and it was working perfect till the day I upgraded to Windows 10. First, I had a few problems during the update, probably due to the not updated (with the last drivers)...
General Support
Windows Update / automatic driver updates?
I have potentially four machines that are eligible for a Windows 10 upgrade, based on most of what I read I was hopeful that there would be few if any problems until I read that Windows would now automatically install driver updates along with...
Drivers and Hardware
Updated to Windows 10 from 8.1, Automatic Repair loop
A client of mine recently installed Windows 10 update and his PC wont boot now. Its an HP so after POST it immediately goes to HP diagnosing the problem and loops back to Automatic Repair. Are there any options other than starting over with a...
Installation and Setup
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:59.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums