Desktop icons keep rearranging

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 2
    Win 10
       #141

    Deleting the IconCache will only work until next restart, when it will appear again.

    "Go to:
    Settings/ Personalization/Themes. Under related settings select “Desktop Icon settings” Uncheck “Allow Themes to change desktop icons” Worked for me."

    Worked for me also ... for now.

    cheers
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 70
    Windows 10 Pro, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
       #142

    Watch00 said:
    Deleting the IconCache will only work until next restart, when it will appear again.

    "Go to:
    Settings/ Personalization/Themes. Under related settings select “Desktop Icon settings” Uncheck “Allow Themes to change desktop icons” Worked for me."

    Worked for me also ... for now.

    cheers
    YES!!!!

    finally a solution that works for me too!!

    THANK YOU @Watch00.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 2
    Win 10
       #143

    GalaxyGe said:
    YES!!!!

    finally a solution that works for me too!!

    THANK YOU @Watch00.

    Yeah... 2 days that worked ... I am gonna pass out
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 27
    Windows 10 Home
       #144

    New to the thread, but not to the variations of this issue. I would recommend in this order:

    1) Download the Save/Restore icon program: MIDIOX. Install it.

    2) Arrange your icons the way you want, and then right click on the desktop and choose Save Desktop.... Reboot. The icons probably will not stay put.

    3) Move several of your icons around the desktop, then right click on desktop and choose Sort by | Date modified. Right click and choose Refresh.

    4) Right click on desktop and choose Restore Desktop. Reboot.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1
    Windows 10
       #145

    What has worked for me is getting all 3 monitors onto the same connection type, in my case, display port.

    Previously i had one on Displayport, one on HDMI and one on DVI - none of the above fixes would work until I did the above.

    Hope that helps someone as this had been driving me nuts.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 2
    windows 10
       #146

    I, too, am having the problem. I would like to have the liberty to group my desktop icons. But the masters tempt me with making me think that its working only to screw the icon positions up when I log in again. I bet that the problem would still be there even if we users could elect the Microsoft President. The discombobulators are winning!
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 1,020
    Windows 10 Pro 20H2 19042.572
       #147

    Its been 2 months now since I have left open an extra desktop and none of my Icons have moved since. I'm still running the desktop at 125%. So far so good.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       #148

    storageman said:
    Its been 2 months now since I have left open an extra desktop and none of my Icons have moved since. I'm still running the desktop at 125%. So far so good.
    Can you clarify this? What is meant by leaving an extra Desktop open?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 1,020
    Windows 10 Pro 20H2 19042.572
       #149

    JWadle said:
    Can you clarify this? What is meant by leaving an extra Desktop open?
    In windows 10 you can have multiple desktops running. You can see it in the desktop display below. Windows will remember that it exists even after a power off/on cycle. I don't use it for anything, but since I started it, my icons have remained in place. Simple.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Desktop icons keep rearranging-2016_11_02_19_22_461.png  
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 3
    Windows 10 back to 7
       #150

    I have had this same problem on several machines with Windows 10 back thru 7. It seems to be a Windows bug, in my opinion. And no, my arrangement settings aren't wrong.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums