Minimal installation of Windows 10 Pro on a non-upgradeable 32GB disk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 10
    Windows 10
       #1

    Minimal installation of Windows 10 Pro on a non-upgradeable 32GB disk


    Hello,
    I bought a used HP Stream N3060 1.60Ghz 4GB RAM with 32GB eMMC storage. The storage is non-upgradeable because it is soldered on the board.
    I have made a clean installation of Windows 10 x64 1909 (after deleting recovery partitions etc.).
    After the latest update, there is only 1.5GB / 28.5GB free disk space, even after running Disk Cleanup in administrator mode, CCleaner and removing unneeded programs like Onedrive. I only have Chrome and Zoom installed. I also removed all windows apps using this powershell command

    Code:
    Get-AppXPackage | where-object {$_.name –notlike “*store*”} | Remove-AppxPackage
    However all these steps were not enough as it seems. Any ideas (or guide) to maintain a Windows 10 installation with the lowest space possible?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 38,556
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #2

    Look for windows.old > delete



    See this link to free up space:
    Free Up Drive Space in Windows 10
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 10
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    There's no windows.old, and I've done pretty much all of the 32 steps, even the last one (except those that involve moving user folders etc. to a secondary drive, as I don't have one).

    I could rephrase my question as follows:
    What is the bare minimum but realistic space a Windows 10 Pro 1909 installation can use, and how is it done?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 38,556
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #4

    See if you can find files to delete using step #2.

    Windows 10 Now Requires 12-16 GB More Storage


    Not the ideal option but you can use older Windows versions / builds:

    Windows Download - #1 Windows ISO Download Source
    Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool
    TechBench by WZT (v4.1.1)
      My Computer

  5. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,790
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #5

    I have an 11.3" Notebook with a 32GB drive [actually less than 30GB] with the same issue. It worked good with Version 1809 and earlier but thanks to the Win10 change it now is running Linux Mint 19.x, needed only 1/3rd of the space as Win10. I replaced it with a 12.5" Notebook with a 256GB SSD with Win10 Pro.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 10
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    zbook said:
    See if you can find files to delete using step #2.

    Windows 10 Now Requires 12-16 GB More Storage


    Not the ideal option but you can use older Windows versions / builds:

    Windows Download - #1 Windows ISO Download Source
    Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool
    TechBench by WZT (v4.1.1)
    So I ran WinDirstat again. Here's how it looks like. Winsxs is 9GB but Dism.exe didn't do anything
    Minimal installation of Windows 10 Pro on a non-upgradeable 32GB disk-capture1.jpg



    Berton said:
    I have an 11.3" Notebook with a 32GB drive [actually less than 30GB] with the same issue. It worked good with Version 1809 and earlier but thanks to the Win10 change it now is running Linux Mint 19.x, needed only 1/3rd of the space as Win10. I replaced it with a 12.5" Notebook with a 256GB SSD with Win10 Pro.
    I know that Linux is the easy solution but unfortunately they need Windows for school. And as I said, this laptop is not upgradeable.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 38,556
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #7

    I'm using 1809 and 1607 on computers that have not yet been upgraded.
    So if they have lower profiles they are options.
    You must know the pro and con when using unsupported builds.
      My Computer

  8. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,790
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #8

    Looking back I think I gave the wrong impression, kept the 11" and added to the stable with 12".

    I browse the deals at TigerDirectB2B [I'm on their E-Mail list], have good buys on Renewed/Refurbished Notebooks and Desktop, my 12" was 159USD. And most carry a 1-year warranty.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 10
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    zbook said:
    I'm using 1809 and 1607 on computers that have not yet been upgraded.
    So if they have lower profiles they are options.
    You must know the pro and con when using unsupported builds.
    So is it a fact that 1809 and 1607 take less space on disk? If yes I might consider downgrading and only make the necessary security updates.

    Berton said:
    Looking back I think I gave the wrong impression, kept the 11" and added to the stable with 12".

    I browse the deals at TigerDirectB2B [I'm on their E-Mail list], have good buys on Renewed/Refurbished Notebooks and Desktop, my 12" was 159USD. And most carry a 1-year warranty.
    I don't see how this answers my question.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 38,556
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #10

    Please see the link in post #4
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:33.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums