Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Joined : Nov 2014
    Ohio
    Posts : 259
    Windows 10
       12 Aug 2015 #1

    Copy ISO file to DVD


    I have the windows 10 ISO file on my hard drive and am trying to copy it do a DVD+R. But I get a message that tells me that the DVD has to be formatted to NTFS. When I try to format I don't have a NTFS option. Isn't there a way to move the iso form my hard drive to the DVD? If not, where can I put the file so I can save it?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 30
    windows 7
       12 Aug 2015 #2

    Hi Frank,
    Not sure what is causing this NTFS (usually refers to Hard Drives) issue for you. I just right click on the ISO Icon, go down to Burn DVD (second option on my Windows 10 PC), stick a blank DVD in the drawer and click Burn. If it is a good, unused DVD, it works every time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 1,372
    Win 10 14393.51
       12 Aug 2015 #3

    Frank1 said: View Post
    I have the windows 10 ISO file on my hard drive and am trying to copy it do a DVD+R. But I get a message that tells me that the DVD has to be formatted to NTFS. When I try to format I don't have a NTFS option. Isn't there a way to move the iso form my hard drive to the DVD? If not, where can I put the file so I can save it?
    If I understand what you post, you are trying to save a copy of the .iso to a DVD, not to create the DVD of which the .iso is an image.

    I presume that your problem has something to do with file size limits for the format of the DVD. I don't recall the limits; for FAT32 it's 4GB, but it's probably different for a standard DVD format.

    Do you have any way of creating a UDF DVD? I think that'll permit a larger file to be written. I'd use Nero for that, but it's not free.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,142
    W10Prox64
       12 Aug 2015 #4

    Frank1 said: View Post
    I have the windows 10 ISO file on my hard drive and am trying to copy it do a DVD+R. But I get a message that tells me that the DVD has to be formatted to NTFS. When I try to format I don't have a NTFS option. Isn't there a way to move the iso form my hard drive to the DVD? If not, where can I put the file so I can save it?
    Hi Frank,
    As bobkn said, you can't just "copy" an ISO image to a DVD - it has to be "created". If you have an ISO of, say W10 Home x64, then that will fit on a single DVD, and you can follow dougout's instructions to right-click>burn DVD. However, if you've created an ISO which would install both W10 Home and Pro, in both 32 and 64 bit, then that won't work, because it would be too big for a regular DVD and you'd need a dual-layer DVD, of which the native Burn can't handle. In that case, you either make a new ISO with only the version/architecture you need, or use 3rd-party burning software which can handle dual layer.

    The ISO itself can be save to an external hard drive, for creating the DVD at some later time. The ISO can also be mounted from within the W8.1 OS, to do an upgrade that way.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Nov 2014
    Ohio
    Posts : 259
    Windows 10
       12 Aug 2015 #5

    Thank you, Dougout and the others who responded as you have solved my problem. It was something that I didn't understand. I was trying to do a copy/paste and from what all of you have said, I was just doing things wrong. So after reading what you said, I did a burn and that took care of it. That means that I'm a little smarter today than I was yesterday. I can't wait to tell my grandchildren.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Apr 2015
    Posts : 9,142
    W10Prox64
       12 Aug 2015 #6

    Frank1 said: View Post
    Thank you, Dougout and the others who responded as you have solved my problem. It was something that I didn't understand. I was trying to do a copy/paste and from what all of you have said, I was just doing things wrong. So after reading what you said, I did a burn and that took care of it. That means that I'm a little smarter today than I was yesterday. I can't wait to tell my grandchildren.
    Hurrah!! and, yes, I think we are all a little smarter today than we were yesterday....but the grandkids are gonna out-smart us all tomorrow!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 1,952
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       12 Aug 2015 #7

    I am not sure what software you use that asks you to format as NTFS. Normally UDF (Universal Disk Format) is used with CD/DVD. I am also not sure if you try to burn the ISO itself to a DVD or you want to create a bootable DVD so it can be used to install Windows. So I will show you both ways:
    1. Download a portable version of Ultra ISO: UltraISOPortable_9.6.5.paf.exe and save it to your desktop. Double click to run, when ask where you want to install, select desktop.
    2. Open the folder and run: UltraISOportable.
    3. Drag & Drop the ISO file as shown below. You are saving the ISO file to a DVD as Data:
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	30800
    4. If you want to burn the contents of the ISO File to a DVD then click on File->Open and select the ISO File, The contents of the ISO will display as shown. Note that it says Bootable UDF ie. You can use this DVD to boot up and install Windows:
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	241.6 KB 
ID:	30802
    5. Put a blank DVD and either use 3 or 4. Next, Tools->Burn CD/DVD image... or just Use F7
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Nov 2014
    Ohio
    Posts : 259
    Windows 10
       12 Aug 2015 #8

    topgundcp said: View Post
    I am not sure what software you use that asks you to format as NTFS. Normally UDF (Universal Disk Format) is used with CD/DVD. I am also not sure if you try to burn the ISO itself to a DVD or you want to create a bootable DVD so it can be used to install Windows. So I will show you both ways:
    1. Download a portable version of Ultra ISO: UltraISOPortable_9.6.5.paf.exe and save it to your desktop. Double click to run, when ask where you want to install, select desktop.
    2. Open the folder and run: UltraISOportable.
    3. Drag & Drop the ISO file as shown below. You are saving the ISO file to a DVD as Data:
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	30800
    4. If you want to burn the contents of the ISO File to a DVD then click on File->Open and select the ISO File, The contents of the ISO will display as shown. Note that it says Bootable UDF ie. You can use this DVD to boot up and install Windows:
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	241.6 KB 
ID:	30802
    5. Put a blank DVD and either use 3 or 4. Next, Tools->Burn CD/DVD image... or just Use F7
    Thanks, Dino--What I was trying to do was to do a copy/paste to move the iso from my hard disk to the DVD which I found out was not the proper way to do it. When I tried to do that, a message popped up. I don't remember exactly what it said but it told me that unless what I wanted to copy it to had be the NTFS format. So I then just burned it to the DVD which did the trick. I will read over what you said and make a bootable DVD.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9.    12 Aug 2015 #9

    Just use IMGBurn.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 33
    Windows 10
       12 Aug 2015 #10

    lolcocks said: View Post
    Just use IMGBurn.
    As others above note the built-in Windows 10 Image Burning Tool works 100% fine via Windows Explorer. IMGBurn is an alternative, but far from necessary. Personally I prefer not to install 3rd party apps if not needed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Unable to copy file from Excel jump list
Hi, With Win7 I used to be able to copy a recent or pinned file from any MS Office jump list by right clicking and selecting Copy from the context menu For Win 10 the menu is still there but when you r/c the file it doesn't appear to be in focus...
Software and Apps
Copy Favorites from XP to 10 / Menu Bar
Friend of mine decided he'd finally ditch his old XP tower and go to Windows 10. He got a Dell 8.1 that we upgraded to 10 Home Premium. I told him I'd get his IE8 Favorites off the old tower, so I copied them to a flash drive, and copied them...
Browsers and Email
Problem copying file to desktop - System has file Open?
I'm trying to copy a ripped movie file (iso) from my G drive to desktop. The file is 45GB. It gets to 99% then a message comes up saying the process can't complete because the System has the file open. I have nothing running and can't find anything...
General Support
How to reserve a copy from within 10 preview?
I upgraded both of my 8.1 machines to 10 about 3 months ago and have just been using them ever since. Today I reserved my 10 upgrade on my other win7 machine. It occurs to me that I have no way of reserving an upgrade to 10 when I am already...
General Support
Copy bootmgr to C:\
Some of you may remember my tutorial on this subject from the sevenforums tutorial section. I have just tested this tutorial for Windows 10TP and it works here too. You may be asked to download a later version of EasyBCD. I recommend you use that....
Installation and Setup
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:28.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums