Hibernation, Battery Questions, Sleep, etc.

  1. Jesse Williams's Avatar
    Posts : 1,724
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
       #1

    Hibernation, Battery Questions, Sleep, etc.


    As you all know, I have my new HP Laptop. If I am not around it long enough, it goes into hibernation mode. I really don't like it to hibernate because when I try to wake it up from hibernation, it won't wake up by the press of the (ENTER) button. I have to press the (POWER) button to get it to wake up and it acts as if its been shut down when it hasn't.

    Do I need to disable Hibernation? But what about the battery life? I don't want my battery life to be affected and I don't want it to die from a low battery.

    I just want it to sleep like my desktop does.

    Will it hurt if I leave it plugged in the charger all the time?

    Windows 10 Version 1909
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 32,468
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #2

    If the computer is used as a desktop replacement you can safely turn off hibernation.

    If the computer is used for travel or relies on battery life there could be data loss.

    So laptops / notebooks generally have hibernation on for the extra safety provided.

    To turn hibernation off:
    1) open administrative command prompt
    2) copy and paste: powercfg -h off
    3) shutdown /r



    Everything You Want to Know About Hiberfil.sys And Hibernation

    Pros of Hibernation

    Hibernation saves your power of the system.
    Less chance of data loss.
    If you are in hurry and can not have to time to save your current work, you can put your system on Hibernation, as it will open your system again from where you have left it.
    When you hibernate your system, it will power down like a regular shut down.
    It is very suitable for those systems which have limited power battery.
    You can set an alarm for your battery timing, if the battery is running short, the alarm will notify you and your system will go into Hibernation mode.
    If your work is opened while hibernating, your system will use no power.

    Cons of Hibernation

    The boot time of system will be little longer when you are starting your system from hibernation than from a normal boot. It is due to all open applications and files.
    Hibernation requires some space on your Hard Drive while shut down will give you a clearer start up.

    Difference between Hibernation and Sleep Mode

    Hibernation and Sleep Mode are mostly same. But when you put a system in Sleep mode, all the open and unsaved files were stored in the RAM, and the system will go into low power mode, which means system isn’t powered off completely. In Sleep mode, your system is using the little amount of battery’s power.

    While Hibernation saves all your unsaved and open programs into Hard Drive, and put your system into complete power off. It will not use any battery power. Hibernate mode is preferred as it is using zero power.
      My Computer

  3. Steve C's Avatar
    Posts : 5,288
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #3

    If your HP laptop is like mine, it goes into a deep sleep state and can only be woken by pressing the power button - this is by design and normal. I always turn off hibernation using the powercfg -h off command as above which also deletes the large hibernation file on your system drive.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 985
    X
       #4

    Like he said ... just disable hibernation.
    Hibernation wastes disk space, slows down the resume cycle ... all negatives ...
    And offers no benefits.

    So disable it, and set your power profile to automatically sleep after about an hour.
    And you're good.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 32,468
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #5

    Let's test your new computer hardware.

    Download and install HP UEFI hardware diagnostics version 7.6 (left side of this webpage)
    https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/.../pc-diags.html

    Plan to run the testing overnight.

    Power on the computer and repetitively click F2.

    Test: system > extensive > loop until error > the next day if it has made 2 or more loops > click esc > this completes the testing or you can perform component tests (many are interactive) > take pictures of the tests performed and the results > post images into the thread or post share links using one drive, drop box, or google drive


    Then in the future, if there are any problems you can use F2 booting to check the battery, drive, CPU, GPU, motherboard, etc.
      My Computer

  6. Jesse Williams's Avatar
    Posts : 1,724
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #6

    zbook said:
    Let's test your new computer hardware.

    Download and install HP UEFI hardware diagnostics version 7.6 (left side of this webpage)
    https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/.../pc-diags.html

    Plan to run the testing overnight.

    Power on the computer and repetitively click F2.

    Test: system > extensive > loop until error > the next day if it has made 2 or more loops > click esc > this completes the testing or you can perform component tests (many are interactive) > take pictures of the tests performed and the results > post images into the thread or post share links using one drive, drop box, or google drive


    Then in the future, if there are any problems you can use F2 booting to check the battery, drive, CPU, GPU, motherboard, etc.
    @zbook, I apologize for the late reply. I will do that. I do plan on upgrading to a larger 500 GB SSD and adding 16 GB or 8 GB of RAM to it as soon as I can. But this being a relatively new computer, I wouldn't expect the hardware to have any issues.

    - - - Updated - - -

    margrave55 said:
    Like he said ... just disable hibernation.
    Hibernation wastes disk space, slows down the resume cycle ... all negatives ...
    And offers no benefits.

    So disable it, and set your power profile to automatically sleep after about an hour.
    And you're good.
    @margrave55, thanks for the recommendation.

    - - - Updated - - -

    margrave55 said:
    Like he said ... just disable hibernation.
    Hibernation wastes disk space, slows down the resume cycle ... all negatives ...
    And offers no benefits.

    So disable it, and set your power profile to automatically sleep after about an hour.
    And you're good.
    @margrave55, do I need to do that for both when the computer is removed from the power source and when it's plugged in?
      My Computers


  7. Jesse Williams's Avatar
    Posts : 1,724
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #7

    @zbook, here is the link to take you to the results of the HP Hardware Diagnostics Scan. Everything passed!

    Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 32,468
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #8

    That's great.
    It should maintain the logged results.
    If there were a problem your set with the HP hardware testing firmware.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 985
    X
       #9

    Jesse Williams said:
    @margrave55, do I need to do that for both when the computer is removed from the power source and when it's plugged in?
    Auto-sleep can be setup separately for when the laptop is on battery and for when it's plugged in.

    I would set a sleep timer for when it's running on battery.
    But I would not do so for when it's plugged in.
      My Computer

  10. Jesse Williams's Avatar
    Posts : 1,724
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #10

    margrave55 said:
    Auto-sleep can be setup separately for when the laptop is on battery and for when it's plugged in.

    I would set a sleep timer for when it's running on battery.
    But I would not do so for when it's plugged in.
    @margrave55, thanks for the information. I do apologize for the late reply.
      My Computers


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:43.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums