PC locked up, sound still plays in the background but needs hard reset

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 32
    Windows 10
       #11

    Sounds more like your PC "hard crashed". (locked solid)

    Most likely, if it's what I think it is, then you need to reseat all PCI-E-based devices and make sure there's no piece of dust bridging capacitor legs. That means the video card, sound card (if not onboard) and the drive! That means, also pull out and reinsert your NVMe SSD.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 36
    Windows7/10
    Thread Starter
       #12

    joeandmarg0 said:
    If you suspect an app,have you tried the uninstall/reinstall routine.
    If that doesn't work,then uninstall and see if that has any effect.Whilst the app is uninstalled,run---sfc /scannow---and---dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth---on the off chance a file may be corrupt.
    There is a website which lists alternatives to many programmes---alternativeto.net---and might have a replacement for the suspect app
    Have you considered updating from 1809.
    Screen freezing is often caused by the Display Adapter not processing the signal within a specified time,default being 2 seconds.and is listed as Timeout Detection and Recovery,[TDR].
    Scan now is still safe for SSD's right? Haven't used a command like that since having a HDD boot drive. I'm not gonna run the latter command if it resets my settings registries etc i don't want to do a clean reinstall yet (may do it for the next update) I also thought DISM was more of a network oriented thing for offices/businesses and not personal use?

    I had previously updated to the latest but it caused me a few blue screens at the time so i reverted. I'm waiting for 2004 next week, which apparently might be pretty good for multi screen users with different refresh rates like myself. I also plan on running DDU again when i do and do a clean Nvidia driver install. Is that timeout and detection reported anywhere where i could possibly confirm said error if it happens again?
    RJARRRPCGP said:
    Sounds more like your PC "hard crashed". (locked solid)

    Most likely, if it's what I think it is, then you need to reseat all PCI-E-based devices and make sure there's no piece of dust bridging capacitor legs. That means the video card, sound card (if not onboard) and the drive! That means, also pull out and reinsert your NVMe SSD.
    Wouldn't a hard lock also loop sound though? Sound continues to function normally and i can still speak to people while its happening. My PC literally just locks up forcing the hard reset but any sound continues fine. It honestly does feel like it is GPU related, and it is a 2nd hand GPU but i had it with 2 years warranty off a friend i know who didnt use it to mine. I can reseat the GPU but i don't see why it could be my boot drive, its under one of those heat sinks and i have no reason to believe it would have become unseated.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 75
    win 10 pro 64(1909)
       #13

    @MajorFoley

    Do you have any troubleshooting threads on OCAU Forums

    If so, can you post links to troubleshooting steps suggested/tried.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 36
    Windows7/10
    Thread Starter
       #14

    paulco said:
    @MajorFoley

    Do you have any troubleshooting threads on OCAU Forums

    If so, can you post links to troubleshooting steps suggested/tried.
    Uh no. Haven't been there in ages if it was that one i went on to begin with isnt there like 3 of those OC websites.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 32
    Windows 10
       #15

    MajorFoley said:

    Wouldn't a hard lock also loop sound though? Sound continues to function normally and i can still speak to people while its happening.
    Sounds like something not as bad. But makes me wonder if there's some scumware somewhere.....
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 413
    win10 home
       #16

    sfc /scannow and dism are integral components of Win 10 and are provided to fix problems.
    sfc uses system data already on your computer,which simply means if that particular data is corrupted,then it won't fix anything.
    dism /online etc uses only data on the Microsoft site and normally works.
    I recommend you read up on those commands and others,e.g.---settings>update and security>troubleshoot---.and there are numerous tutorials on this site.
    Too much fiddling around with drivers is problematic and causes other issues,especially if the driver package is overloaded with unnecessary components.
    TDR is most often found in the "view tech details" section and can be altered in the Registry,
    hklm\system\controlset001\control\graphicsdriver
    NOT recommended.
    Why not update from 1809?
      My Computer



  7. Posts : 36
    Windows7/10
    Thread Starter
       #17

    RJARRRPCGP said:
    Sounds like something not as bad. But makes me wonder if there's some scumware somewhere.....
    Don't think that could be it but maybe, ill double check all drives, definitely nothing my C:\ but can never be too careful
    joeandmarg0 said:
    sfc /scannow and dism are integral components of Win 10 and are provided to fix problems.
    sfc uses system data already on your computer,which simply means if that particular data is corrupted,then it won't fix anything.
    dism /online etc uses only data on the Microsoft site and normally works.
    I recommend you read up on those commands and others,e.g.---settings>update and security>troubleshoot---.and there are numerous tutorials on this site.
    Too much fiddling around with drivers is problematic and causes other issues,especially if the driver package is overloaded with unnecessary components.
    TDR is most often found in the "view tech details" section and can be altered in the Registry,
    hklm\system\controlset001\control\graphicsdriver
    NOT recommended.
    Why not update from 1809?
    With the view tech details that under reliability history?
    Well with the new update around the corner probably going to go straight to that. It's one more week before its out.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 413
    win10 home
       #18

    Yes>Reliability History>view tech details.
    1909 is the latest and works well,so far.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 36
    Windows7/10
    Thread Starter
       #19

    joeandmarg0 said:
    Yes>Reliability History>view tech details.
    1909 is the latest and works well,so far.
    Just happened again at 6:54 PM AEST checking reliability history only shows windows was not properly shut down. Nothing else on that day today exectp for a successful windows update KB226702 which happened a couple of hours prior. Definitely a soft lock, could still hear sound find but everything else was non responsive. I'm going to be running that SFC command tonight.

    EDIT: Ok so apparently there are some corrupt files and was unable to fix some of them, it has the errors in a log file. Should i post or should i just do that fix? I also apparently cant open it because its open in another application yet i already closed the command line...
    Last edited by MajorFoley; 4 Days Ago at 08:07.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 413
    win10 home
       #20

    Try the ---dism /online etc-- and see if that fixes the corruption.
    If not,then I would update to 1909,especially if you have made a backup.
    The best solution is a Clean Install.
      My Computer


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:34.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums