Windows 10 Preview update to Windows 10 Official

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Preview
       #1

    Windows 10 Preview update to Windows 10 Official


    Hello guys! I've been running Windows 10 Preview for about 4 months and now that Windows 10 are officially released, I don't know how to update to them from the Preview versions. Although there is no "Build xxxxx" on the right down side of my screen I don't think that the official Windows 10 are installed on my computer. Something that is missing and is a sign for me to consider that is that when an app is open, that lightened line on the down part of the app on the taskbar does not appear, so I can't tell if an app is open or not. Any help is appreciated. Thank you for your time. (If there is indeed a problem, can I do a clean Windows 10 install without having to download an ISO or going back to Windows 8 and updating to Windows 10?)
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 59
    Windows 10
       #2

    If yours is like mine, then the last update you received is, in fact, the complete Windows 10. You can check it by right clicking on "This PC" and selecting properties. That should open a window telling you what your OS is (Mine says Windows 10) and at the bottom of the page is tells me it is activated.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 13,960
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
       #3

    Do you want to remain in the insider program and continue to test new builds as they are made available? If so then you don't have to do anything as you already have the released build. You can also do a Clean Install if you stay in the insider program.

    If you want to leave the insider program you need to reinstall a qualifying OS (7, 8 or 8.1) then upgrade to Windows 10. After that you can do a clean install if you like.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Preview
    Thread Starter
       #4

    oldtraveler said:
    If yours is like mine, then the last update you received is, in fact, the complete Windows 10. You can check it by right clicking on "This PC" and selecting properties. That should open a window telling you what your OS is (Mine says Windows 10) and at the bottom of the page is tells me it is activated.
    It indeed says Windows is activated under the "Windows Activation" tab, but I think that the case here was the Windows Update, which I had not check for a while. It had an update called "Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems" and one called "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081436)". I am installing them right now although I restarted and it seems like the first update has disappeared.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Preview
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Ztruker said:
    Do you want to remain in the insider program and continue to test new builds as they are made available? If so then you don't have to do anything as you already have the released build. You can also do a Clean Install if you stay in the insider program.

    If you want to leave the insider program you need to reinstall a qualifying OS (7, 8 or 8.1) then upgrade to Windows 10. After that you can do a clean install if you like.
    No, I do not want to stay in the insider program. I want to have Windows 10 like the people who updated to them, on 29/07, when Windows 10 were released. There is also an option in the Advanced Setting of the Windows Update tab in the Settings app, called "Stop Insider Builds". What would that do and is it what I am looking for?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 17,371
    Windows 11 Pro
       #6

    Type Winver in a command prompt. If it says build 10240 - you have the final version.

    Type slmgr /xpr in an elevated command prompt. If it says permanently activated, you have the final version and should be able to clean install if you want.

    I would think Stop Insider Builds would take you out of the Insider program.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 3,865
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       #7

    If you want to leave the insider program you need to reinstall a qualifying OS (7, 8 or 8.1) then upgrade to Windows 10. After that you can do a clean install if you like.
    If you had an activated preview release 10240 - you already have permanent windows 10 activation - no need to upgrade anything
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Preview
    Thread Starter
       #8

    NavyLCDR said:
    Type Winver in a command prompt. If it says build 10240 - you have the final version.

    Type slmgr /xpr in an elevated command prompt. If it says permanently activated, you have the final version and should be able to clean install if you want.

    I would think Stop Insider Builds would take you out of the Insider program.
    Yes it says what you said on both of the options you suggested. But how do I do the clean install? I mean, is there a way without having to download an ISO of Windows 10? If there isn't, can I get the official ISO from the trusted site of Microsoft? Thank you for your time.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Preview
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Kyhi said:
    If you had an activated preview release 10240 - you already have permanent windows 10 activation - no need to upgrade anything
    Then how can I fix that lightened bar problem? Have you got any ideas?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 3,865
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       #10

    You can download windows 10 ISO > http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench

    you can download and create windows media > http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10

    You can use the windows 10 "RESET" feature

    all of which will get you a clean installation
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:19.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums