Windows 10: Curious about Win 10 installs

  1.    11 Aug 2015 #1

    Curious about Win 10 installs


    Is there a difference between a full install of Win 10 and the free upgrade? What I'm trying to ask is, once its installed, can you tell what you have?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    11 Aug 2015 #2

    free upgrade is a full install, it gives you a version equivalent to what you are currently running

    Settings->System->About will show what version of 10 you have

    I had 8 Home version, so now I have 10 Home version
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       11 Aug 2015 #3

    milford said: View Post
    Is there a difference between a full install of Win 10 and the free upgrade? What I'm trying to ask is, once its installed, can you tell what you have?
    Hello Milford and Welcome to TenForums!

    As Paul says, you will get a full installation of the version you have now. Just to take that a little bit further:

    Once you've upgraded, and activated your new W10 OS, you will be able to "clean install" W10 on that same machine in the future, as often as needed. No keycode will be required, you just "skip" when it asks for a code, because your machine has already been upgraded.

    Just wanted to make sure you knew that.

    W10 ISO can be had from the MS Media Creation Tool. Download the architecture for your machine (32 or 64 bit), and create the ISO which can be burned to a DVD for future installations.

    To verify activation, go to All Settings, type "activation" in the search box, and select "See if Windows is Activated". This will show you the edition of Windows and the activation status. If you are not activated, please give the system some reboots to see if this resolves.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    11 Aug 2015 #4

    milford said: View Post
    Is there a difference between a full install of Win 10 and the free upgrade? What I'm trying to ask is, once its installed, can you tell what you have?
    Here's one thing to keep in mind. When you upgrade from Win8.1, for instance. Win10 will carry over features from 8.1 to 10 like Photo Viewer. If you then clean install 10 you will lose Photo Viewer .. you can get it back with a reg hack. Oh and for some reason with the upgrade bat files run fine but with a clean install they don't.

    Just an FYI.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       11 Aug 2015 #5

    That's right - thanks Jeff. Forgot about that. Here's the link to the post with the registry hack to get it back.

    Windows 10 Service Release 1 Inbound for Next Week
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    12 Aug 2015 #6

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    Here's one thing to keep in mind. When you upgrade from Win8.1, for instance. Win10 will carry over features from 8.1 to 10 like Photo Viewer. If you then clean install 10 you will lose Photo Viewer .. you can get it back with a reg hack. Oh and for some reason with the upgrade bat files run fine but with a clean install they don't.

    Just an FYI.

    Jeff

    I am doin clean install soon, can I know how to get Default Windows 7, photo viewer back in Win 10 ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    12 Aug 2015 #7

    Craige said: View Post
    I am doin clean install soon, can I know how to get Default Windows 7, photo viewer back in Win 10 ?
    Here you go
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
As you can tell, I'm new here but my avatar area looks pretty naked and I'm not familiar with the rules. If someone could lead me to the proper place, I would be very grateful. Thanks:)
Curious... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
I'm waiting to see if the new users of Windows 9 still get themselves into trouble as they did with all the other Windows OS's. :p Hopefully, {some} have learned through time, to be vigilant about security. ;)
when you upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 does it really upgrade to win 10 or does it upgrade win 7 to win 8.1 ? Reason why I ask this is because I just use BelarcAdvisor Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit, for software, hardware and...
So I remember reading somewhere (several places actually but I really don't remember where) that all Nvidia GPUs that came supporting DX11.2 (I believe Kepler and Maxwell?) would also support DX12... However, when I run DXDIAG The main page says 12...
Hi there. I've just abandoned what used to be great Linux Distro : Linux Mint. The latest (Linux Mint 17.1) as the newest flavour has ZERO customisable options, No software selectable options on the install -- and there's no Live CD either. ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:20.
Find Us