Windows 10: File Explorer keeps crashing

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1.    11 Aug 2015 #1

    File Explorer keeps crashing


    Hello guys!
    First of all, I am so sorry if this is the wrong section to post this problem in but I had a hard time locating where I should post it.

    After upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, my file explorer simply keeps crashing when navigating in folders.

    Example:
    I go to "This PC" and the window that pops up show all my drives but not how much storage they have/have left. When I try open a drive or folder the window and taskbar closes down and reopen after a few seconds.
    I haven't had this problem even a single time before I upgraded to Windows 10 but now it happens almost every time I try open a folder.

    Anyone who might got an idea on how to fix this?

    /Andy
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    11 Aug 2015 #2

    AndyLemon said: View Post
    Hello guys!

    After upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, my file explorer simply keeps crashing when navigating in folders.

    /Andy
    I'm having exactly the same problem. It has happened on all 3 computers I've upgraded from 8.1 and 7 to 10. 2 of them eventually worked out OK with extreme care, but I still haven't been able to upgrade from 8.1 Pro on my main system or keep explorer.exe working past a certain point even with a clean install. Everything worked flawlessly with 8.1, so I can't see any logical reason why it wouldn't be the same with 10. It's not supposed to be a downgrade.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    13 Aug 2015 #3

    larc919 said: View Post
    I'm having exactly the same problem. It has happened on all 3 computers I've upgraded from 8.1 and 7 to 10. 2 of them eventually worked out OK with extreme care, but I still haven't been able to upgrade from 8.1 Pro on my main system or keep explorer.exe working past a certain point even with a clean install. Everything worked flawlessly with 8.1, so I can't see any logical reason why it wouldn't be the same with 10. It's not supposed to be a downgrade.
    Really needs a fix. I reinstalled my computer and the problem happens again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    25 Aug 2015 #4

    These are DRIVER issues. Verified 100%.


    AndyLemon said: View Post
    Really needs a fix. I reinstalled my computer and the problem happens again.
    I too faced a similar problem. See here Win7 to Win10: Explorer crashes on right-click on folder/within folder/click on shortcut of new folder.

    It turned out to be graphics driver issue although I didn't see any problem in graphics. Strange? !!!

    I would request you to try uninstall + delete (important!!!) drivers and re-install latest in the following sequence:
    1. Graphics driver
    2. Audio driver
    3. WiFi driver

    Yes, even if they're working perfectly fine, please do that and check upon system reboot post each driver delete and re-install. You'll get to know which one caused the problem.

    Please say "thanks" if it solves the problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    26 Aug 2015 #5

    I found what was causing my explorer.exe crashes. There are subject folders on my desktop that I keep icons for various programs in. Making those open folders too narrow (which also narrowed File Explorer) caused a crash each time I tried to open one. Examination of the minidumps pointed to lack of sufficient space for the search box. Keeping open folders about 6 icons wide has made everything OK. This is apparently a bug in 10 since changing an open window size shouldn't cause that problem. Or, at least, narrowing past the tripping point shouldn't be allowable.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    22 Sep 2015 #6

    This is happening to me also.. is there a fix yet?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    22 Sep 2015 #7

    shivinitin said: View Post
    I too faced a similar problem. See here Win7 to Win10: Explorer crashes on right-click on folder/within folder/click on shortcut of new folder.

    It turned out to be graphics driver issue although I didn't see any problem in graphics. Strange? !!!

    I would request you to try uninstall + delete (important!!!) drivers and re-install latest in the following sequence:
    1. Graphics driver
    2. Audio driver
    3. WiFi driver

    Yes, even if they're working perfectly fine, please do that and check upon system reboot post each driver delete and re-install. You'll get to know which one caused the problem.

    Please say "thanks" if it solves the problem.

    My husband already tried deleting all the drivers and reinstalling, and it won't fix
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    30 Sep 2015 #8

    skyla said: View Post
    My husband already tried deleting all the drivers and reinstalling, and it won't fix
    I have alot of saved data on my computer as we run a business from home... has anyone come up with a way to fix this issue!!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 3,033
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       30 Sep 2015 #9

    Good chance for some here this is either due to another program on your PC or in the context menu (when right click something) it's shell extension on list put in by that third party application.

    Use CCleaner to disable all shell extension from these third party apps or use Autoruns to do this or disable startups .
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download


    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../bb963902.aspx
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    23 Nov 2015 #10

    This sounds like a manufacturer sound audio issue for some of us. I found this solution and it worked for me. I found some error in the Events Manager and this one was relevant "IDTNC64.cpl." "The root cause of the problem is that the audio software supplied by IDT and used by several PC manufacturers (Dell, HP and probably others) is not compatible with Windows 10. IDTNC64.CPL is one component of that software and the correct solution is to uninstall the IDT audio altogether. Provided you have just restarted your PC, you should be able to use a Windows Run Box (Win Key + R) before the crashes get too serious. Type 'control panel' into the run box prompt and when the Control Panel appears, use Uninstall to seek out the offending IDT program - on my PC it had an icon of a musical note with the letters IDT next to it - and Uninstall. On rebooting the PC (use Ctrl-Alt-Del to power down if necessary) and restarting, Windows will automatically detect any missing audio drivers and install appropriate ones (not from IDT). You can then check that IDTNC64.CPL is no longer present in C:\windows\system32. If you have not yet migrated from an earlier version of Windows, it is best to Uninstall the IDT software in the old operating system (again, Windows will automatically reinstall compatible drivers) before attempting the upgrade to Windows 10." After days of troubleshooting, I finally have no desktop or file explorer loop crashes! Thanks (Mikedt10 !)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Related Threads
About a minute after starting up, my desktop begins to start flashing to black and coming back in a continuous loop. The file explorer, however is completely unaffected. Is there any fix for this? Using Google I have found that this occurred back in...
A brief apology: I'm probably too old to mess with this stuff (pulling 80,) but I like to try. Please be patient with me, and ask for details if I am not stating my problem clearly. I have searched, but could not find this problem already...
Explorer.exe Crashing on Login in Performance & Maintenance
Hey everyone, I hope I'm posting in the right area. I have an HP 8460p laptop and I recently got the free upgrade to Windows 10. The opening screens look normal. However, everytime I login, Explorer.exe crashes (or just dissapears) and I am left...
Atleast that is what I think is happening. I got the OK to upgrade to win10 from win7 on my laptop.. I went through the prossess as instructed and everything seemed to be going just fine. Then when my lesktop came to life...it was good for a few...
The File menu on Explorer has some useful shortcuts 11606 . If you select / highlight a folder in File Explorer and and then pick Open Command Prompt, then the Current Directory (CD) in Cmd is the folder selected in file Explorer. You don't...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:51.
Find Us