PC Crashing multiple times a day

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 38,421
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #11

    For all steps and tests please post images into the thread:

    Take Screenshot in Windows 10

    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums
      My Computer

  2. The Pool Man's Avatar
    Posts : 791
    10
       #12

    ThunderTorii said:
    NOt sure how this thread/forum website works yet as I'm knew but it's in my specs info '32.GB DDR3' :))
    I think we can say you may have enough RAM.

    I just wanted to make sure you weren't at 8GBs.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 16
    Windows 10
       #13

    Once a year I disconnect my computers and take the side cover off, then take the computer outside and use compressed air to blow out all the dust. Even though my office isn't dusty, after 12 months quite a bit of dust come out.

    This dust can block the cooling or form tiny electrical bridges on circuit boards it seems. I've had problems completely resolve doing this.

    Otherwise if you've run Memtest to check for RAM faults, chkdsk to check for hard drive faults and a good updated virus scanner in safe mode, then reinstalling your OS might be the only way to resolve it.

    Unfortunately, it's also possible to have a Main Board failure.

    Faulty PSU can cause odd issues like this. I always keep a good spare PSU on hand to swap out for testing. Could you possibly be drawing more power than your PSU can supply?

    Good luck.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 304
    Windows 10 Home 20H2 x64
       #14

    DrivingMiss7of9 said:

    Faulty PSU can cause odd issues like this. I always keep a good spare PSU on hand to swap out for testing. Could you possibly be drawing more power than your PSU can supply?

    Good luck.
    Now, these days, I recommend nothing less than a gold-rated PSU. They normally have components that aren't failure prone. Less than gold-rated and especially bronze-rated PSUs, are more likely to have bad caps.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 19
    MS Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #15

    The Pool Man said:
    I think we can say you may have enough RAM.

    I just wanted to make sure you weren't at 8GBs.
    Haha yes definitely enough RAM lol

    - - - Updated - - -

    RJARRRPCGP said:
    Now, these days, I recommend nothing less than a gold-rated PSU. They normally have components that aren't failure prone. Less than gold-rated and especially bronze-rated PSUs, are more likely to have bad caps.
    How do i check the rating?

    - - - Updated - - -

    DrivingMiss7of9 said:
    Once a year I disconnect my computers and take the side cover off, then take the computer outside and use compressed air to blow out all the dust. Even though my office isn't dusty, after 12 months quite a bit of dust come out.

    This dust can block the cooling or form tiny electrical bridges on circuit boards it seems. I've had problems completely resolve doing this.

    Otherwise if you've run Memtest to check for RAM faults, chkdsk to check for hard drive faults and a good updated virus scanner in safe mode, then reinstalling your OS might be the only way to resolve it.

    Unfortunately, it's also possible to have a Main Board failure.

    Faulty PSU can cause odd issues like this. I always keep a good spare PSU on hand to swap out for testing. Could you possibly be drawing more power than your PSU can supply?

    Good luck.
    Ill i have some air i can try to clean things down with
    I've run a memory test and nothing back so far and will be running checdisk etc today (took a while yesterday to use HDTune to do the error scan)

    Trying to avoid reinstalling my OS but will if i have to!

    Not sure, my PSU is 750W and i believe im drawing under that but might be good for me to check that
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,234
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #16

    The Difference: Gold vs Bronze Rated Power Supplies
    The Difference: Gold vs Bronze Rated Power Supplies - Appuals.com
    Last edited by MeAndMyComputer; 18 Mar 2020 at 11:32.
      My Computer

  7. spunk's Avatar
    Posts : 2,842
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit 20H2
       #17

    Seagate is OK on Health and currently running error scan but looks like it's going to take a while
    The longer a drive takes to do an Error Scan the more bad sectors it has.
    If a computer is restarting on it's own, it is usually from Overheating, or a bad PSU. Boot into Setup (Bios) go to PC Health or some such, and check the Temperatures and the Voltages. Voltages should be .5 lesser or greater of the rail. (ie) if a rail is +5.0 Volts and the reading is 4.5 Volts that is acceptable, but if it is less then that or more then .that, like 4.3 or 5.7 then the PSU is failing. Same for the other rails.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 304
    Windows 10 Home 20H2 x64
       #18

    Also, with the Corsair CX-series, you are definitely at risk for bad caps in the PSU.

    I recommend PSUs like the Corsair TX850M and the eVGA 750 G3.

    They are more than 50 dollars, but I doubt you can get a gold for that little of amount.

    But the price isn't outrageous, such as $250 or the like. They usually are $120-ish for an 850-watter and should be somewhat less for a 750-watter, IIRC.

    My decision to get gold-rated PSUs, came at a time where it looked like PSU prices were really dropping.
    And was likely dropping, even during the infamous video card price crisis of 2018.
      My Computers

  9. Gurn Blanston's Avatar
    Posts : 324
    Win10 Pro x64
       #19

    spunk said:
    The longer a drive takes to do an Error Scan the more bad sectors it has.
    If a computer is restarting on it's own, it is usually from Overheating, or a bad PSU. Boot into Setup (Bios) go to PC Health or some such, and check the Temperatures and the Voltages. Voltages should be .5 lesser or greater of the rail. (ie) if a rail is +5.0 Volts and the reading is 4.5 Volts that is acceptable, but if it is less then that or more then .that, like 4.3 or 5.7 then the PSU is failing. Same for the other rails.
    Not to quibble, but BIOS voltages are far from accurate. Not to say that your advice isn't sound, but I have often found discrepancies between listed BIOS voltages and actually measuring the rail voltages where possible.

    I would use the BIOS voltages as an approximate guide, but using a volt-meter to measure the rail voltages is an indispensable technique for determining a bad PSU.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 19
    MS Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #20

    spunk said:
    The longer a drive takes to do an Error Scan the more bad sectors it has.
    If a computer is restarting on it's own, it is usually from Overheating, or a bad PSU. Boot into Setup (Bios) go to PC Health or some such, and check the Temperatures and the Voltages. Voltages should be .5 lesser or greater of the rail. (ie) if a rail is +5.0 Volts and the reading is 4.5 Volts that is acceptable, but if it is less then that or more then .that, like 4.3 or 5.7 then the PSU is failing. Same for the other rails.
    Everything on the HD tune has come back healthy but now going to run the other disk checks
    I will quickly try the BIOS checks too

    - - - Updated - - -

    RJARRRPCGP said:
    Also, with the Corsair CX-series, you are definitely at risk for bad caps in the PSU.

    I recommend PSUs like the Corsair TX850M and the eVGA 750 G3.

    They are more than 50 dollars, but I doubt you can get a gold for that little of amount.

    But the price isn't outrageous, such as $250 or the like. They usually are $120-ish for an 850-watter and should be somewhat less for a 750-watter, IIRC.

    My decision to get gold-rated PSUs, came at a time where it looked like PSU prices were really dropping.
    And was likely dropping, even during the infamous video card price crisis of 2018.
    When i bought the PSU it was quite expensive but it has been a while- i'm more than happy to upgrade to a better PSU if its definitely a PSU issue :)

    - - - Updated - - -

    dalchina said:
    Hi, welcome to tenforums.

    I suggest you start with basics:
    - check your disk: e.g. HDTune v2.55, Health and Error Scan tabs
    if ok run
    chkdsk c: /scan
    from an admin command or powershell prompt.

    Then if ok, similarly run
    SFC /SCANNOW

    If all ok, please perform a clean boot and see if you still have problems.

    Also perform a RAM check. (Tutorial available) (I think you've done that)

    You can try using this:
    Enable and Disable Driver Verifier in Windows 10

    Did you make any changes around the time this started?
    Are you overclocking?

    In a somewhat similar thread one user found their problems occurred because they had one particular program installed.

    Random problems may also occur if your PSU has a marginal voltage.

    Does it crash at all in Safe Mode?

    That's just for starters...
    C: and E: both have 0 bad sectors, i will now try a clean boot
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:50.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums