Disabling Fast Startup for next boot so I can boot from a DVD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 157
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
       #1

    Disabling Fast Startup for next boot so I can boot from a DVD


    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings

    Unchecking the "Turn on Fast Startup" command in the above setting path does not do it. There is supposed to be a motherboard software for enabling a normal startup the next time the computer is restarted.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 17,247
    Windows 11 Pro
       #2

    You are confusing two different terms. "Turn on Fast Startup" refers to allowing Windows 10 to do a hybrid shutdown which reduces the boot time once Windows starts to load. That has nothing to do with enabling booting from a DVD.

    You need to find the function key, or delete key, or insert key that is required to be pressed at the very first bios screen when you turn your computer on to either enter BIOS setup or change boot order. That is a function of the BIOS, not Windows. That is usually called Fastboot when referring to the BIOS pausing to allow you to change the boot order.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 561
    Windows 10 Pro/Windows 7 Ultimate
       #3

    The BIOS was only accessible from PC settings under Windows 8, I don't know if I understand how it works in Windows 10. If you can get into your BIOS you should be able to change the boot order so mounted CD's/DVD's will boot first. In Most Windows 8 machines, there was sometimes literally no way to get into the BIOS unless it was from within windows. Has this been changed in 10? Usually the BIOS screen will say "Press F2 to enter setup" etc, if not, just try pressing keys.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 17,247
    Windows 11 Pro
       #4

    XweAponX said:
    The BIOS was only accessible from PC settings under Windows 8,
    If that was true for your computer that was a hardware/manufacturer limitation, not a Windows limitation. I've never seen or heard of a computer with a BIOS that was only accessible from Windows. What make/model PC was/is it?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 561
    Windows 10 Pro/Windows 7 Ultimate
       #5

    NavyLCDR said:
    If that was true for your computer that was a hardware/manufacturer limitation, not a Windows limitation. I've never seen or heard of a computer with a BIOS that was only accessible from Windows. What make/model PC was/is it?
    I've seen a few laptops. Oh, I am sure there was some trick to getting in there, but a few systems I worked on stumped me good.

    The Ultimate failure of Windows 8.1 was that it was pretty strict with this, unless you restored legacy boot. I found this thread that might have some answers.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 157
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #6

    XweAponX said:
    The BIOS was only accessible from PC settings under Windows 8, I don't know if I understand how it works in Windows 10. If you can get into your BIOS you should be able to change the boot order so mounted CD's/DVD's will boot first. In Most Windows 8 machines, there was sometimes literally no way to get into the BIOS unless it was from within windows. Has this been changed in 10? Usually the BIOS screen will say "Press F2 to enter setup" etc, if not, just try pressing keys.
    My system boots directly to Windows and does provide me a chance to enter the bios. I have been pulling the plug out at shutdown to simulate a power failure, in which case my computer is set up to do a full boot where I can then enter the bios.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 561
    Windows 10 Pro/Windows 7 Ultimate
       #7

    socklosk said:
    My system boots directly to Windows and does provide me a chance to enter the bios. I have been pulling the plug out at shutdown to simulate a power failure, in which case my computer is set up to do a full boot where I can then enter the bios.
    Ask /u/Brink, there should be a way to restore legacy boot like we did under Windows 8/8/1. I'll have to search the board and the Windows 8 board to see if I can find the command line.

    I had a Toshiba system that was just like that, I could not get it into the BIOS, until I finally switched it to legacy boot. But the problem there is it's much slower to boot.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 703
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #8

    socklosk said:
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\System Settings

    Unchecking the "Turn on Fast Startup" command in the above setting path does not do it. There is supposed to be a motherboard software for enabling a normal startup the next time the computer is restarted.
    Are you referring to a 'fast boot' option within the bios?

    On some motherboards, if you enable fast startup in the bios, it will remove the ability for the user to access the bios at a later date. You would therefore not be able to change the boot order and therefore unable to boot from DVD. In that instance, the only solution is to manually reset the bios.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 561
    Windows 10 Pro/Windows 7 Ultimate
       #9

    WhyMe said:
    Are you referring to a 'fast boot' option within the bios?

    On some motherboards, if you enable fast startup in the bios, it will remove the ability for the user to access the bios at a later date. You would therefore not be able to change the boot order and therefore unable to boot from DVD. In that instance, the only solution is to manually reset the bios.
    Yes! This was discussed at length in the Windows 8 forums, I'll try to find any relevant posts.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 157
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #10

    WhyMe said:
    Are you referring to a 'fast boot' option within the bios?

    On some motherboards, if you enable fast startup in the bios, it will remove the ability for the user to access the bios at a later date. You would therefore not be able to change the boot order and therefore unable to boot from DVD. In that instance, the only solution is to manually reset the bios.
    Windows 10 seems to have affected my bios by allowing Windows to boot first. I'm just looking for a better method than unplugging my computer to get to the bios.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums