How to make Win10 lean & mean on older PC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 109
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1

    How to make Win10 lean & mean on older PC.


    Hi,
    Have not upgraded from Win7 yet, later this year. No experience with 8 or 8.1.

    Want my old Dell D630 to run as quickly as possible. It is my understanding that keeping the apps at a minimum may assist in that effort? Read somewhere WinX might actually use less RAM than Win7?

    So just asking ahead of time what some of the experience here might suggest doing (aside from a clean install, will definitely do that after WinX is registered) to keep this machine running lean & mean.
    I like Win7 & am not particularly interested in WinX except that it's free & may be the last Microsoft OS I will never have to pay for. Perhaps will end up liking WinX (& all the extras) but at least for this machine would like it to run as fast as possible.

    Any tips members here can provide to achieve lean, mean & clean status be much appreciated
    :)

    thanks
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 133
    Windows 10
       #2

    You call a Windows store near you and see if you can bring it in for them to help you and ask to be sure that there are no fees... http://www.bing.com/entities/search?...do&FORM=SNAPST
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 109
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #3

    letmein said:
    You call a Windows store near you and see if you can bring it in for them to help you
    So then you're telling me not to bother posting here?
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 133
    Windows 10
       #4

    dogpark said:
    So then you're telling me not to bother posting here?
    NO I'm not but please wait for other replies offering solutions. I'm just a member like you trying to offer a easy solution. Very sorry if I gave you a bad impression.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 109
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Please don't post run Disk Cleanup or Defrag, etc. Looking for WinX specific tips:
    e.g. are there apps that can be uninstalled right away as they will be of no use. If didn't make use of it in Win7, don't need in it WinX.

    Windows 10 has new potentially memory hogging features like Virtual Desktops and desktop Metro Apps
    If true can this be simplified?

    thanks
      My Computers


  6. Nus
    Posts : 242
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
       #6

    I would not even consider using Windows Store staff to streamline and optimise my machines, lol...

    OP, what specs does your laptop have? If it's got a generic, small, 5400rpm drive then you'll want to do some stuff for that, for sure.

    I streamline the crap out of my machines whether they need it or not.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 133
    Windows 10
       #7

    You can read these 2 very helpful links to prepare for the upgrade... https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...tallation.html

    and https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...ixes-list.html
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 273
    Windows 10 Pro 1709 x64
       #8

    I would search for compatible drivers first. I found out the hard way that direct in-place upgrading from 8.1 causes constant 100% (on 1 core) kernel CPU usage since the drivers aren't fully compatible with 10 despite the upgrade assistant saying that no incompatibilities.
    After clean installing, turning off Auto updates, then manually installing the latest Windows 10 drivers from each respective manufacture, Windows 10 runs much faster and has much less bugs. CPU usage is now 0-1% at idle and there are far less background tasks and apps compared to an in-place upgrade. However, since MS doesn't give a product key for Windows 10 upgrade, you need to do an in-place upgrade, then clean install and just get all your files and folders back on the Windows.old folder.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 109
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Nus said:
    OP, what specs does your laptop have? If it's got a generic, small, 5400rpm drive then you'll want to do some stuff for that, for sure.

    I streamline the crap out of my machines whether they need it or not.
    WD Black 320 GB Mobile Hard Drive: 2.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA II, 16 MB Cache

    Will update "My System Specs"

    What streamlining for WinX in particular.

    thanks
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 109
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #10

    theveterans said:
    I would search for compatible drivers first. I found out the hard way that direct in-place upgrading from 8.1 causes constant 100% (on 1 core) kernel CPU usage since the drivers aren't fully compatible with 10 despite the upgrade assistant saying that no incompatibilities.
    After clean installing, turning off Auto updates, then manually installing the latest Windows 10 drivers from each respective manufacture, Windows 10 runs much faster and has much less bugs. CPU usage is now 0-1% at idle and there are far less background tasks and apps compared to an in-place upgrade. However, since MS doesn't give a product key for Windows 10 upgrade, you need to do an in-place upgrade, then clean install and just get all your files and folders back on the Windows.old folder.
    Thanx
    Last edited by dogpark; 04 Feb 2019 at 19:46.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:17.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums