Is My Privacy Being Compromised?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Cr00zng's Avatar
    Posts : 698
    Windows 10 64-bits
       #21

    f14tomcat said:
    That I'll agree with. Wait for Windows 11, it'll be the Home version of Azure. A monitor, KB, mouse and some modem/router/thin client gizmo. Then your only privacy will be a dark closet.
    Well, that depends... Not to mention that sooner of later you'll need to come out of the closet anyway...

    - - - Updated - - -

    z3r010 said:
    I doubt it as it's utter bollocks.
    While I agree that it is bollocks...

    One cannot have privacy without security.

    In today's world of surveillance capitalism your data is the product. You have no way for escaping this data collection; all companies from Apple to Yahoo and anything between do this weather you want it or not. MS is no exception, it was just a bit late to the "party".

    The question is, just how secure your system is when all of your data can be vacuumed up?
      My Computer

  2. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,279
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #22

    Cr00zng said:
    Well, that depends... Not to mention that sooner of later you'll need to come out of the closet anyway...
    99% of what I said was very tongue-in-cheek............
      My Computers

  3. Cr00zng's Avatar
    Posts : 698
    Windows 10 64-bits
       #23

    f14tomcat said:
    99% of what I said was very tongue-in-cheek............
      My Computer

  4. thomaseg1's Avatar
    Posts : 13,332
    Windows 10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.804 & 21327.1000
       #24

    hajen said:
    Do you by any chance doubt that Mr TechnoMage from tenforums.com possesses multiple zerodays that he patches with bat-files? What's unbelievable about that?!?!?!

    Nope, I'm just curious about them .
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 15
    Windows 10 version 1909
    Thread Starter
       #25

    Wow! What a cool discussion.
      My Computer

  6. Access Denied's Avatar
    Posts : 11,027
    Win10 x64
       #26

    Privacy in Windows 10 is but a small discussion. If you own a cellphone, there should be your major worry. GPS? yep. Google Assistant, Siri? yep. The list goes on and on.

    In my opinion, unless you are doing something illegal, why even bother worrying about it. The entire world is after information on everyone. I am more of the lot which would say, just pay me and you can video record my every day movements..... I don't care lol.
      My Computer

  7. Cr00zng's Avatar
    Posts : 698
    Windows 10 64-bits
       #27

    Access Denied said:
    Privacy in Windows 10 is but a small discussion. If you own a cellphone, there should be your major worry. GPS? yep. Google Assistant, Siri? yep. The list goes on and on.

    In my opinion, unless you are doing something illegal, why even bother worrying about it. The entire world is after information on everyone. I am more of the lot which would say, just pay me and you can video record my every day movements..... I don't care lol.
    At least on iPhone, I can disable GPS, Siri, iCloud, most of the telemetry, etc. By default, when you install/activate an iPhone, iOS will ask if you'd want to enable telemetry, more like when you install Windows 10. Except Windows requires the minimum telemetry, that cannot be disabled at installation time and it's not easy afterward either, if it's possible at all.

    While I don't believe that "What happens on the iPhone, stays on the iPhone", one can get pretty close to it. And I do...

    Even if I don't do anything illegal, I am in the lot which would say, just leave me the @#$% alone...

    PS: Yes, I am aware that cellular connection can be disabled as well, but that would make the iPhone a useless, expensive paperweight.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 19
    Win 7 Pro x64 SP1, win 8.1 pro, win 10 TP
       #28

    Golden said:
    Can you justify this statement?
    I suppose it depends on who/what he defines as unsafe. My perspective of safe/unsafe extends to multiple sources. Those (outsiders) who would exploit windows systems and the Tech companies. IMO, we have as much to fear from one as the other.

    I am on Win 7 at present until:

    • I can be sure of completely disabling MS Data collection/theft
    • I can be sure that Win 10 updates won't hose my system.


    I'm at the beginning of investigating how/if Win 10 can be put into service in a secure, private manner. I get that win 10 gets Security updates, etc, so my major concern is protection from MS. Any links to that end would be appreciated.

    I know there are those who scoff at the idea of Win 10's baked-in invasive privacy issues/data collection, but I wonder if they've considered how MS plans to profit from an OS they give away. And not only give away, but maintain and update for years to come, all absolutely "free". IMO, the user is paying for Win 10. And, since it's not monetary payment...

    Additionally, being the neighborhood "tech guy", I've had opportunity to see the havoc that win 10 updates can cause, including the widespread "restoring to previous version" boot loop. The last system I took in to "clean up" turned into to completely reinstalling win 10 and all apps.
    Last edited by msalton1; 01 Feb 2020 at 11:02.
      My Computer

  9. NMI's Avatar
    NMI
    Posts : 700
    Windows 10 Pro, Version 20H2
       #29

    msalton1 said:
    I know there are those who scoff at the idea of Win 10's baked-in invasive privacy issues/data collection, but I wonder if they've considered how MS plans to profit from an OS they give away. And not only give away, but maintain and update for years to come, all absolutely "free". IMO, the user is paying for Win 10. And, since it's not monetary payment...
    Windows 10 is not free. Most people buy it with a new computer, and some from the Store for $139 or $200: Buy Windows 10

    And telemetry is not theft.
      My Computer

  10. Edwin's Avatar
    Posts : 17,203
    Windows 10
       #30

    For goodness sake...,
    If you're a decent, upstanding, law abiding citizen, what the hell are you worrying about trivial privacy issues for?
    Basically, nobody really gives a sh*t who you are, where you are, what you're doing or what color underwear you're wearin anyway!
      My Computer


 
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:44.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums