Screwball sleep issue - moving chair wakes PC with no physical contact

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

  1. Posts : 17
    windows 10 pro 64bit
       #31

    hi guys had a read through this thread and intresting problem. i came across somthing similar article on the registar but with monitors. hope its ok to post a link to it as there is a video there showing it happening. Blame of thrones: Those viral vids of PC monitors going blank when people stand up? Static electricity from chairs • The Register
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 86
    win10
    Thread Starter
       #32

    patrickk said:
    hi guys had a read through this thread and intresting problem. i came across somthing similar article on the registar but with monitors. hope its ok to post a link to it as there is a video there showing it happening. Blame of thrones: Those viral vids of PC monitors going blank when people stand up? Static electricity from chairs • The Register
    Thank you Patrickk...you can't imagine how happy your post has made me...I'm not losing what's left of my mind after all.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 17
    windows 10 pro 64bit
       #33

    Been a long time lurker so glad to have helped! I actually thought of your post when i was reading about it. hopefully you manage to get an answer to sort it out as it seems such a strange problem to have good luck!
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 31,568
    10 Home x64 (22H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #34

    xwray said:
    Thank you Patrickk...you can't imagine how happy your post has made me...I'm not losing what's left of my mind after all.
    Found this one over on Seven Forums....

    MY Computer Knows When I go to Walk Away? Solved - Page 7 - Windows 7 Help Forums
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 86
    win10
    Thread Starter
       #35

    Amazing, thanks for the update

    Although I'm no longer worried about an impending PC failure I'm still interested in running this to ground, as it were.

    It's hard for me to visualize it as just a simple static discharge problem. I believe the only way static can in and of itself affect a circuit would be via a spark discharge which could possibly induce a current in the PC or attached wiring and for it to do that the spark would probably have to be big enough see and hear.which I haven't. Something like a mini EMP, not something like the tiny blue spark you can get when you open your car door on a cold dry winter day...
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 2
    Win 10
       #36

    Hi! Did you ever found a solution for this? I have the exact same problem and, believe it or not, I have the same chair and the same PC case!!
    However, I know the issue is not just with this chair as I had the problem long before I got this chair. I also changed the mobo at one point and the problem is still there.
    Let me know, please, if you found a solution. I plan on verifying and reducing the number of ways the PC can get out of sleep and maybe I find the culprit. Do you, by any chance, have/had a big set of speakers nearby?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 86
    win10
    Thread Starter
       #37

    Don't know if I'd call it a "repair" but I determined the problem was being caused by static electricity building up on the chair as I rolled around on the carpet. If I just sat still for a few seconds the charge would dissipate enough no problem would occur. Likewise I found if I rolled slowly the problem didn't occur.

    Ultimately the problem seemed to go away and has not returned?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 840
    Windows 10 Home. 19045.3693 WinVersion 22H2
       #38

    Are you sure a re-incarnate of Rod Serling is not lurking somewhere behind the computer??
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 1,757
    Windows 10 Pro
       #39

    xwray said:
    Don't know if I'd call it a "repair" but I determined the problem was being caused by static electricity building up on the chair as I rolled around on the carpet. If I just sat still for a few seconds the charge would dissipate enough no problem would occur. Likewise I found if I rolled slowly the problem didn't occur.

    Ultimately the problem seemed to go away and has not returned?
    I had a similar problem, but that was caused by the mouse detecting motion when I rolled my chair. Floor vibrations, I guess. So I put the mouse on its side when putting the machine to sleep. Voila. No more problem.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 2,134
    Windows 11 Pro (latest update ... forever anal)
       #40

    lffoar said:
    Are you sure a re-incarnate of Rod Serling is not lurking somewhere behind the computer??
    Doo-doo doo-doo doo-doo doo-doo.

    There! Now we're both showing our age.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:34.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums