Welcome to TenForums


  1. Posts : 52
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
       #1191

    Hi Kado287-
    Thank you for the welcome. Had many adventures generating PCP, MFT and MVT. Probably the strangest was when we ran out temp space during that massive IEHMOVE portion our first sysgen of MVT and had to jury-rig the parameters for temp space allocation to make it work. Both the IBM rep and moi used a lot of SWAG to solve that one. LOL!
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 46,458
    Windows 10 Home 64bit 21H1 and insider builds
       #1192

    GCG1000 said:
    Hi Kado287-
    Thank you for the welcome. Had many adventures generating PCP, MFT and MVT. Probably the strangest was when we ran out temp space during that massive IEHMOVE portion our first sysgen of MVT and had to jury-rig the parameters the temp space parameters to make it work. Both the IBM rep and moi used a lot of SWAG to solve that one. LOL!
    Yes, most of my experience was with VSE and VM/VSE systems which were generally well behaved, but we did have a 360-40 in the late 70s that used to shut down randomly. It took IBM techs several weeks to track it down to an out of spec component. In the 80s most of our problems were with FBA disks which used to fail regularly.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 52
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
       #1193

    kado897 said:
    Yes, most of my experience was with VSE and VM/VSE systems which were generally well behaved, but we did have a 360-40 in the late 70s that used to shut down randomly. It took IBM techs several weeks to track it down to an out of spec component. In the 80s most of our problems were with FBA disks which used to fail regularly.
    Well, that brings back memories of things that happened at my datacenter at the NYSE. In the early '70's we had 2-S/370's configured with Intel memory boards that were incompatible with IBM's 80-80 memory interface and 3 out 5 times the 370's would freeze during trade reconciliations. Apparently, some idiot executive at SIAC (NYSE automation division) had gotten a "great bargain" from Intel on 370 replacement memory, without considering the technical implications ! Oh, those 'lonnnng nights'! We also had Univac and Honeywell frames in that datacenter, none of which worked very! You might say that the Stock Exchange had hired "Chucky Cheese" to do their layout and configuration work! Again LOL!
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 46,458
    Windows 10 Home 64bit 21H1 and insider builds
       #1194

    GCG1000 said:
    Well, that brings back memories of things that happened at my datacenter at the NYSE. In the early '70's we had 2-S/370's configured with Intel memory boards that were incompatible with IBM's 80-80 memory interface and 3 out 5 times the 370's would freeze during trade reconciliations. Apparently, some idiot executive at SIAC (NYSE automation division) had gotten a "great bargain" from Intel on 370 replacement memory, without considering the technical implications ! Oh, those 'lonnnng nights'! We also had Univac and Honeywell frames in that datacenter, none of which worked very! You might say that the Stock Exchange had hired "Chucky Cheese" to do their layout and configuration work! Again LOL!
    Sadly those days are long gone. Enjoy your stay at TF.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 52
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
       #1195

    Thank you.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 29,075
    Windows 10 21H1 Build 19043.1023
       #1196

    GCG1000 said:
    Retired: IT Consultant, IBM S-360 Systems Programmer( during 1960's, working with large scale System/360 mainframe integration configuring and generating OS/360 for Chemical Bank in NYC), Data Center Director in Post Trade Operations at NYSE, Technical Consultant in Public Utilities Industry. Enjoy a good belt of single-malt from time to time.
    Good afternoon and welcome to TenForums, GCG.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 52
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
       #1197

    Thank you, Wynona.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 16,278
    W10Prox64
       #1198

    Welcome to all the new members! We're glad to have you here.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 13,930
    Windows 10 Pro X64 21H1 19043.1503
       #1199

    GCG1000 said:
    Retired: IT Consultant, IBM S-360 Systems Programmer( during 1960's, working with large scale System/360 mainframe integration configuring and generating OS/360 for Chemical Bank in NYC), Data Center Director in Post Trade Operations at NYSE, Technical Consultant in Public Utilities Industry. Enjoy a good belt of single-malt from time to time.
    Welcome CGC1000. I'm a retired Beemer too. Started out on System 360/50 final test in Pok. Ended up in Austin Tx 40 years later working on OS/2 then Linux. Fun and interesting career except for the 1994/95 massacre years.

    This is a great place to hang out. Seems I learn something new almost every day, often the hard way by "trying something" just to see what happens.

    My mantra has become BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 36,278
    Windows 10 Home x64 21H2
       #1200

    Gabriele, Grebo, and GCG1000

    I had years of Speak&Spell experience :)

    A Guy
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:46.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums