Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 79
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       09 Aug 2015 #1

    Since Windows 10 not all of my RAM is usable.


    I just noticed this. I never had this problem under Windows 8.x. Checked my BIOS and everything looked good. IGPU is turned off. Setting the memory in msconfig Boot|Advanced doesn't work. I've run out of ideas. Looking for a fix.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	16 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	30002
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jul 2015
    California
    Posts : 186
    Kernel 4.x.x
       09 Aug 2015 #2

    streetwolf said: View Post
    I just noticed this. I never had this problem under Windows 8.x. Checked my BIOS and everything looked good. IGPU is turned off. Setting the memory in msconfig Boot|Advanced doesn't work. I've run out of ideas. Looking for a fix.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	16 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	30002
    That's normal. Your system reserves your low-memory for hardware.

    Make sure Memory Remapping is enable in the BIOS
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       09 Aug 2015 #3

    streetwolf said: View Post
    I just noticed this. I never had this problem under Windows 8.x. Checked my BIOS and everything looked good. IGPU is turned off. Setting the memory in msconfig Boot|Advanced doesn't work. I've run out of ideas. Looking for a fix.
    Are you using the GPU on your motherboard, or do you have a separate video card?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Aug 2015
    Spring Valley
    Posts : 558
    Windows 10 Pro/Windows 7 Ultimate
       09 Aug 2015 #4

    Doesn't Windows 10 set ram aside for Hyper-V or other Virtualization? If the amount of Ram not usable is about a gig or so, I'll wager it's been set aside for Virtualization, check your BIOS settings. I haven't seen a MB with "Vanderpool" on it for a while, but that was what Intel was calling Virtualization back when Core chips came out- Maybe 2006. 2007 or so.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 79
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       09 Aug 2015 #5

    XweAponX said: View Post
    Doesn't Windows 10 set ram aside for Hyper-V or other Virtualization? If the amount of Ram not usable is about a gig or so, I'll wager it's been set aside for Virtualization, check your BIOS settings. I haven't seen a MB with "Vanderpool" on it for a while, but that was what Intel was calling Virtualization back when Core chips came out- Maybe 2006. 2007 or so.
    I do have virtualization on in my BIOS. Always had it on. If Windows 10 now reserves actual RAM for it that's new. I had it on because I 'thought' it's needed to use VMware. I'll turn it off in a few minutes and report back.

    I don't use the IGPU I have a discrete video card.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10 Pro
       09 Aug 2015 #6

    Hydranix said: View Post
    That's normal. Your system reserves your low-memory for hardware.

    Make sure Memory Remapping is enable in the BIOS
    I also have 16 GB and they're fully usable on my system, so I'd say it's not normal.
    Last edited by Keldian; 09 Aug 2015 at 15:44.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2015
    Spring Valley
    Posts : 558
    Windows 10 Pro/Windows 7 Ultimate
       09 Aug 2015 #7

    Yah, that might be it, Also if you have any kind of Ivy Bridge Video Setup, that will use a little of your Main ram as well as your Dedicated Ram.

    Your system was setting aside about 600mb of Ram for something, Vanderpool used to set aside 1024mb, specifically for Virtualization and for "Windows XP Mode" on Windows 7 machines. Hyoer-V is the MS Virtualization, I think it only works with Intel chipsets. Other virtualization systems might not use the resources set aside in the BIOS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 79
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       09 Aug 2015 #8

    Turned off virtualization in my BIOS and that didn't help. All it did was make VMware not work. My IGPU is disabled.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Aug 2015
    Spring Valley
    Posts : 558
    Windows 10 Pro/Windows 7 Ultimate
       09 Aug 2015 #9

    Well, it's setting aside 600mb for something, you may have to go through all of your settings to find out what. Have you enabled "God Mode"? Make a new Folder on the desktop and rename it to this:

    Code:
    GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}
    Then you will be able to look in all of the nooks and crannies of Windows 10.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jul 2015
    California
    Posts : 186
    Kernel 4.x.x
       09 Aug 2015 #10

    You'll want to keep virtualization turned on.

    Hey you got the same motherboard as me. All 16GB of my ram shows up as usable.

    iGPU off
    render standby enabled
    igpu memory auto
    multimonitor disabled

    advanced > system agent configuration > memory remap feature = enabled
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums