Windows 10: Sorry to be negative!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    09 Aug 2015 #1

    Sorry to be negative!


    Did a Windows 10 installation last week - (Using Windows 7 prior to that).
    I have never been a fan of Windows 8/8.1, but I thought I would give Windows 10 a try at least.

    Although many people are raving about 10 - I cannot share their enthusiasm, so after a short time I reverted back to good old faithful and intuitive Windows 7.
    Each to their own view of course, but I wonder if anyone else has reverted back to Windows 7 as I have done?

    I would praise MS by saying that the installation to W10 went without a hitch, equally the return to W7 was painless.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    09 Aug 2015 #2

    Hi,
    What was it you didn't like or didn't work properly?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    09 Aug 2015 #3

    Skofab said: View Post
    Did a Windows 10 installation last week - (Using Windows 7 prior to that).
    I have never been a fan of Windows 8/8.1, but I thought I would give Windows 10 a try at least.

    Although many people are raving about 10 - I cannot share their enthusiasm, so after a short time I reverted back to good old faithful and intuitive Windows 7.
    Each to their own view of course, but I wonder if anyone else has reverted back to Windows 7 as I have done?

    I would praise MS by saying that the installation to W10 went without a hitch, equally the return to W7 was painless.
    You gave it a shot and that's all that matters I think and if you like 7 better than that's the OS you should use.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    09 Aug 2015 #4

    Skofab said: View Post
    I wonder if anyone else has reverted back to Windows 7 as I have done?
    yes
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    09 Aug 2015 #5

    Skofab said: View Post
    Did a Windows 10 installation last week - (Using Windows 7 prior to that).
    I have never been a fan of Windows 8/8.1, but I thought I would give Windows 10 a try at least.

    Although many people are raving about 10 - I cannot share their enthusiasm, so after a short time I reverted back to good old faithful and intuitive Windows 7.
    Each to their own view of course, but I wonder if anyone else has reverted back to Windows 7 as I have done?

    I would praise MS by saying that the installation to W10 went without a hitch, equally the return to W7 was painless.
    While you are of course well within your rights to do whatever you want, I would suggest that it's impossible to determine whether or not you like something by only giving it a "short time". You need to overcome your internal bias and resistance to change, and that can take a week or two for even very open minded people, someone that is a little more stubborn could take months.

    Not saying that using it longer will change your mind, but it's almost certain that only using it for a short time won't.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    09 Aug 2015 #6

    You're actually being kind. As an I.T. professional who's been testing it for the past week, I'd say W10 is a disaster in its current state.

    I've never had to run so many post-install fixes and tweaks on any Windows version before, just so I can take back control of my system and have it run stable. It still thinks it's being run on a tablet, it comes with a disgusting amount of crapware and tries to push its cloud services in the user's face, Windows Update is broken, and don't get me started on the privacy invasion fiasco.

    However, it does bring my hardware up to new standards (DX12 etc.), and I have to be up to speed with it for professional reasons, so I won't be reverting, but it's getting increasingly tempting to get SteamOS beta instead.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    09 Aug 2015 #7

    Keldian said: View Post
    As an I.T. professional who's been testing it for the past week
    OK, not a long time then. Not being funny but my users test for 2 or 3 years before thinking of using my software. A bit much perhaps but there we are. I'm unsure what if anything you could test in one week. They wouldn't even arrange the kick-off meeting in a week

    Keldian said: View Post
    I've never had to run so many post-install fixes and tweaks on any Windows version before, just so I can take back control of my system and have it run stable.
    What system? Your system or your users system?

    Keldian said: View Post
    However, it does bring my hardware up to new standards (DX12 etc.), and I have to be up to speed with it for professional reasons, so I won't be reverting.
    Perhaps you are a games designer or an architect. I don't know if architects need DX12 but perhaps. Certainly games would improve if anyone wrote one which was DX12 compatible.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    09 Aug 2015 #8

    halasz said: View Post
    OK, not a long time then. Not being funny but my users test for 2 or 3 years before thinking of using my software. A bit much perhaps but there we are. I'm unsure what if anything you could test in one week. They wouldn't even arrange the kick-off meeting in a week
    The amount of ignorance is off the charts here. You're saying we need to wait 2 or 3 years before our impressions about a new OS become valid? I only needed a few hours to notice is has a mind-boggling amount of issues, and it was more than enough.

    The rest of your comments are too absurd to reply to. Sorry but you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    09 Aug 2015 #9

    While generally I like Windows 10 I think they rushed too much to get it out on time. Simply too many things are not working and features are missing. Windows update in it's current state is a disaster, the lack of possibilities to customize the looks is disappointing at least plus those features that are there are not working properly (lockscreen, search...). Currently I'm holding on and hoping that they will react with updates. But if they don't fix all those bugs and shortcomings within reasonable time (meaning during the upcoming weeks) I will revert to Windows 8.1 and 10 won't be installed on my machine for at least half a year. Luckily I kept an image of my Windows 8.1 system.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 324
    Win 7 Pro/32, Win 10 Pro/64/32
       09 Aug 2015 #10

    I'm sitting here, in 95 degree FL weather, and I'm flabbergasted, That anyone on this forum, of the intellectual upper crust, would blow off their trusty and beloved Windows 7, for an untried OS such as Windows 10.

    I. on the other hand, have been Beta Testing Windows 10 on several different PC's for well over six months.
    And in that length of time, I made up my own mind that Windows 10 would NEVER take over my Main PC.
    (my recently Homemade Desktop PC) I have no illusions about W-10. It's an undisciplined little brat, to say the least.
    Maybe after another six months or so, of Beta Testing, it might have been ready for prime time, but definitely not now. It has more (security) holes than a block of Swiss Cheese.

    There are many fixes and tweaks that need to be installed during the time after the original setup, then to make it user friendly to old users, it requires the installation of the "Classic Shell", and then, and only then, will it be usable for the Old Users of the world.
    In it's 'Out of the Box' version, it's a rolling disaster.

    Since it's release, I've spent several days, just plugging up security holes, disabling redundancies and shutting off
    things, like Cortana, that almost NO desktop PC user would ever want. I don't! So I just renamed the "Cortana.Core.dll" file to "Cortana.Core.ddd" and now it doesn't load into ram memory, like it did before.
    And I'm still able to use the Win-10 start menu and Search.

    And all the time I'm fixing Win-10 on my test laptops, I'm still running Windows 8.1, Pro on my new desktop.
    I see absolutely NO reason to ever let Windows 10 upgrade my PC. I had actually reserved my FREE copy of Win-10, but I've since Cancelled that Reservation and Deleted KB3035583.

    Cheers Mates!
    TechnoMage
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02.
Find Us