Ctl Alt Delete to unlock PC loops back to Ctl Alt Delete to unlock PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Pro 10.0.18362
       #1

    Ctl Alt Delete to unlock PC loops back to Ctl Alt Delete to unlock PC


    This is on a freshly imaged laptop running Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.18362. I also had this same problem before imaging the laptop.

    I'll leave my laptop locked for the night and when I try to login in the morning, I can't. Every time I press ctl+alt+delete to bring up the password prompt, the screen starts to change like it's bringing the prompt up but then immediately flashes back to the "Press ctl+alt+delete to unlock" screen. The only way to actually log in is to hard power cycle the laptop. Then I can log in.

    I took a look the Application Event Viewer, and there are hundreds of identical errors, starting from when I locked my PC last night to when I hard rebooted the laptop. All of the errors are:

    "System Center failed to validate caller with error DC040780"
    Log Name: Application
    Source: SecurityCenter
    Event ID: 17
    Level: Error
    User: N/A
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1,806
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1348
       #2

    CurtisHx said:
    This is on a freshly imaged laptop running Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.18362. I also had this same problem before imaging the laptop.

    I'll leave my laptop locked for the night and when I try to login in the morning, I can't. Every time I press ctl+alt+delete to bring up the password prompt, the screen starts to change like it's bringing the prompt up but then immediately flashes back to the "Press ctl+alt+delete to unlock" screen. The only way to actually log in is to hard power cycle the laptop. Then I can log in.

    I took a look the Application Event Viewer, and there are hundreds of identical errors, starting from when I locked my PC last night to when I hard rebooted the laptop. All of the errors are:

    "System Center failed to validate caller with error DC040780"
    Log Name: Application
    Source: SecurityCenter
    Event ID: 17
    Level: Error
    User: N/A
    Hi Curtis, welcome to Ten forums.

    Have you tried an external keyboard yet?

    Check this thread for the Event Viewer errors.

    Security Center error "DC040780"

    I'm presenting this item as an FYI and not as a solution to your sign-in issue. I chose to defeat this unnecessary step in the login process and defeat the requirement to press Ctrl-Alt-Del before signing-in.

    Enable or Disable Secure Sign-in with Ctrl+Alt+Delete in Windows 10
    Last edited by W10 Tweaker; 06 Nov 2019 at 07:36.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 191
    Windows 10 Pro x64 latest version
       #3

    Ctl Alt Delete at login checks to verify the integrity of the windows logon screen before displaying it. If it is unable to verify the logon screen validity, it will fail.

    I first suggest disabling the option to require ctrl alt delete and then restarting. Then enable the option again and try. If the issue keeps occuring:

    Check your machine for malware and if you do not find any with malwarebytes or a trusted AV, I suggest looking for corruption of your os by using the dism command in a elevated command prompt:

    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth


    Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Pro 10.0.18362
    Thread Starter
       #4

    W10 Tweaker said:
    Hi Curtis, welcome to Ten forums.

    Have you tried an external keyboard yet?

    Check this thread for the Event Viewer errors.

    Security Center error "DC040780"

    I'm presenting this item as an FYI and not as a solution to your sign-in issue. I chose to defeat this unnecessary step in the login process and defeat the requirement to press Ctrl-Alt-Del before signing-in.

    Enable or Disable Secure Sign-in with Ctrl+Alt+Delete in Windows 10
    I've tried it with both the built in keyboard and an external keyboard.

    I also forgot to mention this is an intermittent issue. CTL ALT DELETE to unlock works most of the time. It seems like when my laptop stays locked a "long" time, like over the weekend, this issue appears.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,806
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1348
       #5

    CurtisHx said:
    I've tried it with both the built in keyboard and an external keyboard.
    I also forgot to mention this is an intermittent issue. CTL ALT DELETE to unlock works most of the time. It seems like when my laptop stays locked a "long" time, like over the weekend, this issue appears.
    Have you tried to disable the ctrl-alt-del login feature, leave it off for a day and then re-enable it?

    You could also run a couple of tests. In an elevated command prompt type sfc /scannow.

    Run SFC Command in Windows 10

    Then run dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth also in an elevated command prompt.

    Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Pro 10.0.18362
    Thread Starter
       #6

    W10 Tweaker said:
    Have you tried to disable the ctrl-alt-del login feature, leave it off for a day and then re-enable it?

    You could also run a couple of tests. In an elevated command prompt type sfc /scannow.

    Run SFC Command in Windows 10

    Then run dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth also in an elevated command prompt.

    Use DISM to Repair Windows 10 Image
    It's a corporate PC and I can't disable ctl-alt-del.

    SFC and DISM both ran without any errors.
      My Computer



  7. Posts : 56,170
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #7

    CurtisHx said:
    It's a corporate PC and I can't disable ctl-alt-del.

    SFC and DISM both ran without any errors.
    Have you contacted your IT department?
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 1,806
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1348
       #8

    CurtisHx said:
    It's a corporate PC and I can't disable ctl-alt-del.
    SFC and DISM both ran without any errors.
    When I worked for a living, the company PC was the responsibility of the LAN guy and it was frowned upon for us to mess with our own PC's. I had power-user access and could do more than most, however; I couldn't go everywhere I wanted to.

    I'm just saying this not to discourage you from proceeding but you should be aware that with limited access you may have difficulty solving this and where I worked when I crapped out my PC I'd have sneak it into the LAN guy to fix it. If my boss ever knew I was messing with it, it wouldn't be fun for me.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 1,778
    Windows 10 Pro,
       #9

    CurtisHx said:
    It's a corporate PC and I can't disable ctl-alt-del.

    SFC and DISM both ran without any errors.
    Contact your IT dept.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 4
    Windows 10 Pro 10.0.18362
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Rocky said:
    Contact your IT dept.
    Been there, done that. It's an intermittent issue and the ticket keeps getting closed because it's not reproducable on demand.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:39.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums