Windows 10 update meltdown. Please help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 3
    Windows 10
       #1

    Windows 10 update meltdown. Please help!


    A few days ago, I updated my Windows 10 Home OS to the 1903 version.
    When I logged into my computer later on, I could not find any of my files so after searching through forums on the internet, I found all my files in Windows(C:)>User>MYUSERNAME.
    I decided to transfer all my files back manually to their usual places because I didn't understand that my files would be saved to a Temporary User storage.
    Today I turned on my computer and all my files are gone and every time I try to search for them or try to find a way to recover them, this LOCATION IS NOT AVAILABLE thing comes up.
    Please help me because I don't know what to do now. Are all my files gone or is there a way I can get them back?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 35,560
    Win 10 Pro (21H2) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #2

    Do you have a backup of your files, or a recently created disk image? (The routine use of disk imaging is very often recommended on tenforums).

    Your experience - presumably of being allocated a temporary user profile- is something that occurs for a few.
    Fix You've been signed in with a temporary profile in Windows 10
    - is that what happened?


    You may be able to recover your files from Windows.old, if it still exists (typically for 10 days after upgrading).

    Example:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...folder-upgrade
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 3
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    dalchina said:
    Do you have a backup of your files, or a recently created disk image? (The routine use of disk imaging is very often recommended on tenforums).

    Your experience - presumably of being allocated a temporary user profile- is something that occurs for a few.
    Fix You've been signed in with a temporary profile in Windows 10
    - is that what happened?


    You may be able to recover your files from Windows.old, if it still exists (typically for 10 days after upgrading).

    Example:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...folder-upgrade
    I don't think I had a backup of my files but I'll check right now just to be sure. I did see a Windows.old folder though?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 720
    Win10 x64 Pro - 2 desktops, 2 laptops
       #4

    gabunnybaby101 said:
    I found all my files in Windows(C:)>User>MYUSERNAME.
    I decided to transfer all my files back manually to their usual places because I didn't understand that my files would be saved to a Temporary User storage.
    Are you saying that files that were in other directories are now in User>MYUSERNAME? That is "user", not "Users"? And that's "MYUSERNAME" rather than your user id? Or are you saying that files from other directories are now in your account data folders?
    What are those files' "usual places"?

    Had you previously changed the location of your user data folders?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 25,076
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #5

    gabunnybaby101 said:
    A few days ago, I updated my Windows 10 Home OS to the 1903 version.
    When I logged into my computer later on, I could not find any of my files so after searching through forums on the internet, I found all my files in Windows(C:)>User>MYUSERNAME.
    I decided to transfer all my files back manually to their usual places because I didn't understand that my files would be saved to a Temporary User storage.
    Today I turned on my computer and all my files are gone...
    C:\Users\MyUsername was your correct profile folder, and it seems the first time you signed in you were signed in with a temporary user profile. Unfortunately you then apparently transferred all your files to that temporary profile, which was then deleted automatically when you signed out.

    If a user signs in to their account and gets the You've been signed in with a temporary profile notification below, then that user has been signed in to a temporary profile (ex: C:\Users\TEMP ) instead of the profile from their C:\Users\<user name> profile folder. Any changes that the user makes to the temporary profile are lost after signing.
    Fix You've been signed in with a temporary profile in Windows 10

    Now you seem to be signed in with your correct user profile the files are no longer there. Your best chance of recovering them would be to stop using the PC (or you may overwrite them) and use an undelete recovery program. My personal favourite is KickAss Undelete.

    Kickass Undelete - a free, open source file recovery tool for Windows
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 39,996
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #6

    Bree,

    How do Recuva and Kickass Undelete compare?
    Are they approaching the problem in a similar or different fashion?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 25,076
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #7

    zbook said:
    Bree,

    How do Recuva and Kickass Undelete compare?
    Are they approaching the problem in a similar or different fashion?
    Very similar, in that they both allow you to recover files by copying them to another drive. Neither make changes to the drive you are trying to recover from.

    The main advantage of KickAss is that it is free and open source with no limits on how many files you can recover.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 1,604
    Win 10 home 20H2 19042.1110
       #8

    Guys, gabunnybaby101 is a new member to these forums and you're even confusing me with your different replies to this topic!!
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 1,604
    Win 10 home 20H2 19042.1110
       #9

    Can you give us more information about your Windows 10 computer? Did you upgrade from Windows 7 or 8? Look in System and supply your basic system.
    Windows 10 update meltdown. Please help!-system.png
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 11,645
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1776
       #10

    gabunnybaby101 said:
    ... I could not find any of my files ...
    I think there has been great confusion here.
    Q1 Please explain where you thought your files were.

    gabunnybaby101 said:
    ... I found all my files in Windows(C:)>User>MYUSERNAME
    Your files are normally within a folder at C:\Users\YourUserName but Windows has a habit of disguising that fact.
    - Open File explorer and open the folder C:\Users then look for a subfolder called the same as your username [or just the first 5 letters of it in some cases]
    - If you are in any doubt about what your UserName is, right-click on the Start button, select PowerShell / Command prompt and enter whoami - it will respond in the format ComputerName\UserName
    Q2 If you cannot find your folder within C:\Users then please post back with the names of all the folders that are there within C:\Users

    gabunnybaby101 said:
    ... transfer all my files back manually to their usual places
    Q3 Where did you transfer them 'back' to?

    Denis
    Last edited by Try3; 30 Oct 2019 at 22:59.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:28.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums