I can't type into Windows 10 search bar or type within start menu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1

    I can't type into Windows 10 search bar or type within start menu


    So randomly, I can no longer type into the windows 10 search and when I bring up the start menu I cannot type in it to search for apps. I've search and tried a few things but still no luck. I attempted to do a system restore to a previous point in safe mode, but I run into an error saying system restore did not complete successfully. System restore failed to extract the original copy of the directory from the restore point. 0x800745b. I have used system restore in the past with no problems, so I don't understand why this is happening along with the start menu/search bar issues. Am I looking at have to reset this PC or fresh start?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 34,917
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #2

    Hi, welcome to tenforums. There are several threads on exactly this topic: solved threads can be a good resource.

    Here's one with one specific solution which may help:
    Can't Type In Search Bar and Windows 10 Built-in Apps.

    Feel free to search for further threads using the forum's search
    can't type in search bar

    Note that re-registering Cortana is no longer a solution for this as Cortana and search have been separated in 1903.

    I don't know what your build is though, as sadly it's not a forum requirement to state it, so we have to keep asking:
    Settings, About

    Am I looking at have to reset this PC or fresh start?
    An in-place upgrade repair install (tutorial available) is a much less destructive approach to issues which are common to all user accounts.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #3

    dalchina said:
    Hi, welcome to tenforums. There are several threads on exactly this topic: solved threads can be a good resource.

    Here's one with one specific solution which may help:
    Can't Type In Search Bar and Windows 10 Built-in Apps.

    Feel free to search for further threads using the forum's search
    can't type in search bar

    Note that re-registering Cortana is no longer a solution for this as Cortana and search have been separated in 1903.

    I don't know what your build is though, as sadly it's not a forum requirement to state it, so we have to keep asking:
    Settings, About


    An in-place upgrade repair install (tutorial available) is a much less destructive approach to issues which are common to all user accounts.
    The build is 1903. So I guess I have two issues. What do you thing about the system restore error 0x800745b? I tried to do system restore in safe mode as well and still getting the error that system restore is not successful. Also, I recently have been having trouble with playing League of Legends. The game client immediately goes into some weird crash dump. However, if I switch to a different windows 10 user profile I can play the game just fine. I still have the same trouble with the start menu/search bar. Does this mean something is corrupted with my main (admin) windows profile?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 34,917
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #4

    Hi, System Restore is known to be unreliable and difficult to persuade to work if it doesn't.

    Search bar: i'd recommend you have a close look a the thread I posted.
    If that doesn't help you could try an in-place upgrade repair install as the problem is common to both accounts.

    League of Legends: You might learn more by looking at your Reliability History and find the relevant crash report. Otherwise consider what is different in what is running when logged in under each of your accounts in case there's any conflict. Beyond that, it could be something corrupt in files or folders which are part of that game particular to one user account.

    Hope that's some help..
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #5

    dalchina said:
    Hi, System Restore is known to be unreliable and difficult to persuade to work if it doesn't.

    Search bar: i'd recommend you have a close look a the thread I posted.
    If that doesn't help you could try an in-place upgrade repair install as the problem is common to both accounts.

    League of Legends: You might learn more by looking at your Reliability History and find the relevant crash report. Otherwise consider what is different in what is running when logged in under each of your accounts in case there's any conflict. Beyond that, it could be something corrupt in files or folders which are part of that game particular to one user account.

    Hope that's some help..
    Thanks, I'll definitely look at that thread. I've already tried may other solutions that have not worked. For the in-place upgrade repair, is this the thread I should refer to?

    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

    Is this basically installing a new version of Windows 10 on top of my current version of Windows 10?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 34,917
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #6

    Is this basically installing a new version of Windows 10 on top of my current version of Windows 10?
    - crudely. It's almost identical to an upgrade, but takes the system files back to the version of iso used, which must be of the same major build. Services are reset to default, some registry keys rewritten.

    Simple version:
    Download and Mount iso file
    Open new drive created
    Double click setup.exe

    As with any major change, take precautions and make sur eyou have a current Windows disk image (e.g. Macrium reflect -free)
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #7

    dalchina said:
    - crudely. It's almost identical to an upgrade, but takes the system files back to the version of iso used, which must be of the same major build. Services are reset to default, some registry keys rewritten.

    Simple version:
    Download and Mount iso file
    Open new drive created
    Double click setup.exe

    As with any major change, take precautions and make sur eyou have a current Windows disk image (e.g. Macrium reflect -free)
    Can't I just use the media creation tool to do the in-place upgrade?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 34,917
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #8

    The media creation tool does just that- creates a medium. What you do with it after that is another matter...

    So in my abbreviated instructions, Download = download and create ... say, an iso file.

    Now if you wanted e.g. 1809 rather than 1903, you couldn't use the MS media creation tool as that only gives you the current build.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #9

    dalchina said:
    The media creation tool does just that- creates a medium. What you do with it after that is another matter...

    So in my abbreviated instructions, Download = download and create ... say, an iso file.

    Now if you wanted e.g. 1809 rather than 1903, you couldn't use the MS media creation tool as that only gives you the current build.
    Sorry, I'm still a little confused because after reading the tutorial it looks like I can do the in-place upgrade thru MS media creation without a usb/DVD. Is that not accurate?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 34,917
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #10

    The media creation tool creates- example - an iso file.

    End of use of media creation tool

    You now have an iso file.

    Now you mount the iso file and run setup.exe from the new disk created by mounting it.

    That's what I tried to convey above...
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:34.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums