Windows 10: Start Menu is not working

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 558
    Windows 10 Pro/Windows 7 Ultimate
       10 Aug 2015 #21

    I installed ClassicShell just for the heck of it, and it took about 15 minutes to fully integrate into the system, during which time the entire taskbar was inaccessible. To get the the regular menu, I press shift+win.

    Has OP Installed any Start Menu enhancers like ClassicShell? Or maybe activate Cortana, that had an impact on me as well. It works fine now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    10 Aug 2015 #22

    XweAponX said: View Post
    I installed ClassicShell just for the heck of it, and it took about 15 minutes to fully integrate into the system, during which time the entire taskbar was inaccessible. To get the the regular menu, I press shift+win.

    Has OP Installed any Start Menu enhancers like ClassicShell? Or maybe activate Cortana, that had an impact on me as well. It works fine now.

    Hey XWE,


    Just installed ClassicShell but it feels a bit wierd though, not wierd in that sense. But it is a temporary solution even though the start menu works, but still on the right side the Wifi, Sound icon, battery icon and such is inaccessible (not very frustrating) since the start menu works. I wished the whole interface worked though, maybe is a script or coding miss in the new OS. When I'm pressing on the WIFI icon there just comes a "load" like it is just loading cause of bad scripture, not sure why but the whole start menu and interface worked the first day and then the second day it became bugged somehow as if it reacts to too many apps installed, possibly that it can't handle too many installed apps until it bugs itself.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Build 10240
       10 Aug 2015 #23

    Leia said: View Post
    Hi TheRealDGK,


    I have the task manager open but I can't seem to find explorer.exe in it under the "Processes" tab however under the "Information" tab I have the explorer.exe but I can't seem to find any option to restart it, there is only on the right side "Stop Activity" and when pressing that the whole interface disappears.
    Sorry about that, it was showing up in the Apps sub-menu because I had a folder open. When I don't have one open It's still in the processes tab but in the Windows Processes sub-menu. Here's a screenshot: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	393 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	30355
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    10 Aug 2015 #24

    No problems at all The wierd thing is that I have the utcsvc.exe process also at the same place as yours just that there is no Windows Explorer.exe up in the processes and I have no "restart" button on the right side, mine is "Stop Activity" which is when I press it the process ends but it doesn't restart the process. I'm not sure if you have the WIN10 Home Edition? Maybe it is different from how the activity monitor look in Win 10 Pro and Home Edt.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 558
    Windows 10 Pro/Windows 7 Ultimate
       10 Aug 2015 #25

    Leia said: View Post
    Hey XWE,


    Just installed ClassicShell but it feels a bit wierd though, not wierd in that sense. But it is a temporary solution even though the start menu works, but still on the right side the Wifi, Sound icon, battery icon and such is inaccessible (not very frustrating) since the start menu works. I wished the whole interface worked though, maybe is a script or coding miss in the new OS. When I'm pressing on the WIFI icon there just comes a "load" like it is just loading cause of bad scripture, not sure why but the whole start menu and interface worked the first day and then the second day it became bugged somehow as if it reacts to too many apps installed, possibly that it can't handle too many installed apps until it bugs itself.

    I got a question, when/if you updated to Windows 10. did you do it via the OTA update provided or did you use the disk?

    I am reading a LOT of problems here and I am just going to go out on a limb here and state that most of these problems arise from the OTA Update? Because on two systems I updated with the Windows 10 Pro disk, they both activated and they don't have any problems whatsoever, and my Fresh Install of 10 has absolutely NO issues whatsoever. The two systems were updated by In-Place Installs, and my system is a regular custom install.

    If you keep on having issues, I'd say locate an ISO image for the version you have installed and then do an In-Place Install so see if it fixes your problems. I'm going to start suggesting this for some of the other problems in here.

    OTA (Over the Air) updates are an issue with Apple iDevices, my iPhone runs crappy if I do an OTA update. But when I do a fresh restore through iTunes, it works great. So I am going to assume Windows 10 OTA updates have the same kinds of problems.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 Build 10240
       10 Aug 2015 #26

    abcd


    That's so weird lol. I have Win10 Pro. Well sorry I couldn't help you out on this one, This worked every time my start menu wouldn't work. It would show the start menu button being clicked animation but nothing would happen.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    10 Aug 2015 #27

    XWE

    I thought since I always had Windows 7 before that I wanted to tryout Windows 10 and just see how the new OS was since I wanted to also experience something new. I did the installation based on a reservation two weeks prior to the OS being released so the upgrade went through the system and not through ISO / CD/ DVD. I'm not sure if there would be any difference of the ISO and the upgrade that Windows sent out weeks ago if so I do know that most people have upgraded not from the ISO but from the desktop upgrade itself. I've also tried the Windows Updater many times with no new updates, the only updates I got from Windows Update were based on a 600mb installation. Why would the OTA upgrade be different from the ISO if it is still the same Operating System, that feels a bit wierd
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    10 Aug 2015 #28

    TheRealDgk said: View Post
    That's so weird lol. I have Win10 Pro. Well sorry I couldn't help you out on this one, This worked every time my start menu wouldn't work. It would show the start menu button being clicked animation but nothing would happen.
    No problems, it is really wierd that it looks different on your activity monitor compared to mine lol.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 558
    Windows 10 Pro/Windows 7 Ultimate
       10 Aug 2015 #29

    Leia said: View Post
    XWE

    I thought since I always had Windows 7 before that I wanted to tryout Windows 10 and just see how the new OS was since I wanted to also experience something new. I did the installation based on a reservation two weeks prior to the OS being released so the upgrade went through the system and not through ISO / CD/ DVD. I'm not sure if there would be any difference of the ISO and the upgrade that Windows sent out weeks ago if so I do know that most people have upgraded not from the ISO but from the desktop upgrade itself. I've also tried the Windows Updater many times with no new updates, the only updates I got from Windows Update were based on a 600mb installation. Why would the OTA upgrade be different from the ISO if it is still the same Operating System, that feels a bit wierd
    You should be able to find an ISO for Windows 10 on the Net, make sure it is the exact same version you got. There are many placed to get them, just google it. If you find one, just run an in-place install. You will have to re-activate possibly, but that can be dealt with via a call to MS. Or, you can find a copy of MS Toolkit that can be used to backup your license and restore it. I don't know if that's a legit thing to do, I only use it for my own licenses on my own systems, in fact I just backed up a faulty Windows 7 license and restored it after a wipe and re-install, it just puts the same key back in. But I'm hoping you can call MS and just tell them you had to do an In-Place reinstall, and they should give you a new one, call them first if you are not sure, I'd do it anyway.

    There is a huge difference between doing an OTA update and a disk based in-place install, this was an issue with windows 8.1 if I recall. It's always an issue with Apple devices like iPads and iPhones, I don't know what it is exactly, but something always goes wrong with an OTA update. So I avoid them at all costs lately.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    10 Aug 2015 #30

    XweAponX said: View Post
    I got a question, when/if you updated to Windows 10. did you do it via the OTA update provided or did you use the disk?

    I am reading a LOT of problems here and I am just going to go out on a limb here and state that most of these problems arise from the OTA Update? Because on two systems I updated with the Windows 10 Pro disk, they both activated and they don't have any problems whatsoever, and my Fresh Install of 10 has absolutely NO issues whatsoever. The two systems were updated by In-Place Installs, and my system is a regular custom install.

    If you keep on having issues, I'd say locate an ISO image for the version you have installed and then do an In-Place Install so see if it fixes your problems. I'm going to start suggesting this for some of the other problems in here.

    OTA (Over the Air) updates are an issue with Apple iDevices, my iPhone runs crappy if I do an OTA update. But when I do a fresh restore through iTunes, it works great. So I am going to assume Windows 10 OTA updates have the same kinds of problems.


    Might go back to Windows 7 or just doing a complete reset of Windows 10 have been confused if I shall do it or not, not the funniest but I think there isn't anything in my situation that could solve the interface to work again except a system restore. It is great to use the Shell though thanks for the tip, at least the Menu started to work but many of the icons nope
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Solved Start menu not working in General Support
The Windows 10 start menu has stopped working. If I click on the Start button, nothing happens. I did a repair install and that corrected the problem for a few days. The problem has returned. No start menu. All updates have been installed. Does...
Hi there For those of you who can't get the Windows Start menu in build 10074 to appear or work when you UPDATE from build 10061 it WILL work if you revert back first to build 10049 and then update. Activate windows and re-boot -- now it will...
So yesterday I was just watching some videos on youtube and then the screen flashed for a second and started everything started acting up. I restarted my computer and since then, the start menu, notifications and all apps like the xbox app and store...
My machine reboot last night, likely due to an update that got pushed out, and now I can no longer click on the start menu. Windows key does not pull it up either. Also, the volume button in the bottom right of the screen, I cannot click on that...
Start Menu is not working in General Support
(Sorry if this is in the wrong location. I couldn't post it to the bsod forums because it only wants bsod) I recently installed Windows 10. I had this problem where explore.exe kept restarting. My friend had this problem too. He told me to create a...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06.
Find Us