how to click next to view pictures in a folder?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,238
    win10 PRO on 5 PC's and Linux mint
       #1

    how to click next to view pictures in a folder?


    It used to do that, I click on a picture in a folder of pictures, the picture loads in a window, and there was a way to view the next picture or the previous picture. Not it seems to open a single picture in a windows 10 editor?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 6,919
    windows 10
       #2

    On the photo there should be arrows in the middle to forward or backwards
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,238
    win10 PRO on 5 PC's and Linux mint
    Thread Starter
       #3

    There are none, I know there used to be.
    This is what I see now, there are tons of pics in this folder.

    Clicking on picture just zooms in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails how to click next to view pictures in a folder?-car1.png  
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 24,653
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #4

    sdowney717 said:
    It used to do that, I click on a picture in a folder of pictures, the picture loads in a window, and there was a way to view the next picture or the previous picture...
    What you are describing is the old Windows Photo Viewer, the standard viewer in Windows 7.

    how to click next to view pictures in a folder?-image.png

    It's still in Windows 10, but not readily available. This tutorial can enable it for you.

    Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 1,238
    win10 PRO on 5 PC's and Linux mint
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Bree said:
    What you are describing is the old Windows Photo Viewer, the standard viewer in Windows 7.
    how to click next to view pictures in a folder?-image.png

    It's still in Windows 10, but not readily available. This tutorial can enable it for you.

    Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10
    Odd it was deactivated, did a windows update do that? I am pretty sure I remember it doing this win10,

    - - - Updated - - -

    ok, on the win10 laptop, it still shows the side next arrow. Here it shows it.
    But the win10 desktop it does not, I have not done any mod yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails how to click next to view pictures in a folder?-car2.jpg  
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 24,653
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #6

    sdowney717 said:
    Odd it was deactivated, did a windows update do that? I am pretty sure I remember it doing this win10,
    ok, on the win10 laptop, it still shows the side next arrow...
    But the win10 desktop it does not, I have not done any mod yet.

    As far as I can recall, it was updating to Windows 10 itself that removed it for virtually all image file formats. A clean install of W10 still includes Photo Viewer, but only has it associated with .tif and .tiff file types. Brink's tutorial adds the file associations back in for all other image types.

    The Photos app does have a Next and a Previous button, but they are hidden unless you hover your mouse over them. They are located half way up the right and left edges of the Photo app. It's not clear wy it doesn't appear on the Desktop's Photos app - unless, of course, you are looking at the last (or only) image in that particular folder. You only get a 'Next' if there is a 'next' photo to show.

    how to click next to view pictures in a folder?-photos-app-next-button.png
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 1,238
    win10 PRO on 5 PC's and Linux mint
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Bree said:
    As far as I can recall, it was updating to Windows 10 itself that removed it for virtually all image file formats. A clean install of W10 still includes Photo Viewer, but only has it associated with .tif and .tiff file types. Brink's tutorial adds the file associations back in for all other image types.
    But why does my laptop win10 using 'photos' show the back and forth arrows, and it is functional, while on the win10 desktop it is not?
    BTW, the Photos app does have a Next and a Previous button, but they are hidden unless you hover your mouse over them. They are located half way up the right and left edges of the Photo app.

    how to click next to view pictures in a folder?-photos-app-next-button.png
    I dont have them showing up when hovering or any such thing on the win10 desktop, but they are on the win10 laptop for the 'photos' app. I would like it to work just like it does on the win10 laptop.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 24,653
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #8

    sdowney717 said:
    I dont have them showing up when hovering or any such thing on the win10 desktop, but they are on the win10 laptop for the 'photos' app. I would like it to work just like it does on the win10 laptop.

    Do both the laptop and desktop have the same version of the Photos app? Click the ... menu, select Settings and scroll to the bottom. The current version is 2019.19071.17920.0.

    It may be that the desktop's Photos app hasn't been updated since W10 was first installed. If so, open the Store and select 'downloads and updates' from its ... menu where you can update the app.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 1,238
    win10 PRO on 5 PC's and Linux mint
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Bree said:
    Do both the laptop and desktop have the same version of the Photos app? Click the ... menu, select Settings and scroll to the bottom. The current version is 2019.19071.17920.0.
    It may be that the desktop's Photos app hasn't been updated since W10 was first installed. If so, open the Store and select 'downloads and updates' from its ... menu where you can update the app.
    Desktop is
    Microsoft Photos 2019.19071.17920.0 2019 Microsoft Corporation
    I will post laptop later, kids are using it.

    I see in the settings mouse wheel flips to next picture, but it does nothing. Mouse wheel does scroll web pages so it works.

    - - - Updated - - -

    ok, laptop version is same as desktop

    Microsoft Photos 2019.19071.17920.0 2019 Microsoft Corporation

    And it could be the desktop win10 never did let me change to next picture in the folder, I may have been remembering the laptop behavior. Is there a registry setting to enable this on the desktop?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 24,653
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #10

    sdowney717 said:
    Desktop is
    Microsoft Photos 2019.19071.17920.0 2019 Microsoft Corporation
    I will post laptop later, kids are using it.

    No need, it was the desktop that didn't have Next/Previous and you've shown that it is already on the current version. You could try repairing Photos, see this tutorial:

    Reset App in Windows 10

    how to click next to view pictures in a folder?-image.png
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums