Txt Files changing to .MP3 in windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 13
    Windows 10
       #1

    Txt Files changing to .MP3 in windows


    I have 2 .txt files that have simple serial numbers inside, when i went to open today, they are listed now as .MP3, when i attempt to open with notepad, the contents is jumbled and not readable. the files were never changed manually as the data inside was not needed for several weeks
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 2,487
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
       #2

    Hmmmmmm.........

    I just did a test.

    I have a text file with a .txt extension.

    I changed that to an .mp3 extension.

    I attempted to open that ".mp3" file in Notepad. It opened and displayed just as if it had the original .txt extension.

    Have you checked the properties of the file--for dates created and modified?

    Does anyone else have access to your PC?

    What happens if you attempt to open those 2 files in a media player, as if they were real mp3s?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 13
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    ignatzatsonic said:
    Hmmmmmm.........

    I just did a test.

    I have a text file with a .txt extension.

    I changed that to an .mp3 extension.

    I attempted to open that ".mp3" file in Notepad. It opened and displayed just as if it had the original .txt extension.

    Have you checked the properties of the file--for dates created and modified?

    Does anyone else have access to your PC?
    Hi there, No the files are stored on a seperate G:\ Drive HDD, only i have access, the only difference lately is that i upgraded my OS to win 10 from 7.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 2,487
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
       #4

    conrad9900 said:
    the contents is jumbled and not readable
    Is the file playable in an mp3 player?

    do the contents look similar to what you would see if you opened a "real" mp3 file in notepad?

    Like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Txt Files changing to .MP3 in windows-image.png   Txt Files changing to .MP3 in windows-image.png  
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 13
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    ignatzatsonic said:
    Is the file playable in an mp3 player?


    do the contents look similar to what you would see if you opened a "real" mp3 file in notepad?

    Like this:
    The file is not playable in mp3 as it was only a serial key, and yes the contents look the same as above
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 2,487
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
       #6

    Is the file size, probably in KB, still very small as you'd expect from a text file that contained only the few digits in a serial key?

    Or much larger, probably in MB, as you'd expect in an mp3?

    Do you have a file search tool to find out if there are any other files on your drive with the same name, exclusive of the extension?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 13
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    ignatzatsonic said:
    Is the file size, probably in KB, still very small as you'd expect from a text file that contained only the few digits in a serial key?

    Or much larger, probably in MB, as you'd expect in an mp3?

    Do you have a file search tool to find out if there are any other files on your drive with the same name, exclusive of the extension?
    The file is very small 1KB to be exact. it appears to have happened to 2 txt files
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 2,487
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
       #8

    Are they readable if you change the extension back to .txt manually?

    Are your preferences set to open txt files with Notepad or Word and your mp3 files in a known good media player?

    How sure are you that you hadn't even opened these files in several weeks? Leaving aside whether or not you may have accidentally changed the extension?

    Is there anything remotely unusual about the file name, before the extension?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 13
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    ignatzatsonic said:
    Are they readable if you change the extension back to .txt manually?

    preferences set to open txt files with Notepad or Word and your mp3 files in a known good media player?

    How sure are you that you hadn't even opened these files in several weeks? Leaving aside whether or not you may have accidentally changed the extension?
    I changed the name to serialnum.txt but it still shows as .MP3
    See attached: Firefox Send
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 565
    Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
       #10

    In File Explorer "View" tab do you have "File name extensions" ticked? If not then it may be that the true extension is hidden and it may be mp3. For example you might be renaming the file serialnum.txt but the hidden part may make it into serialnum.txt.mp3. Just a thought.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:52.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums