Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1.    07 Apr 2014 #31
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Posts : 168
    Windows 8.1.1 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by The Howling Wolves, post: 10953, member: 16
    Why not go back to DOS?
    What do you mean, 'Back to"?

    I never left it. I still run a lot of DOS stuff in 'DOS-Box', including Win 3.1 and Office 4.


    Wenda.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    07 Apr 2014 #32
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Posts : 168
    Windows 8.1.1 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by ksdixon, post: 10934, member: 181
    Seriously? People like Aero? It looks so dated, and I hated theat glow/glassy effect around the window border's text.
    Well, you've always had the option to turn it off if you didn't like it or your machine wasn't powerful enough to run it.

    That's all we want now, the option to turn it back on.

    That is not a big ask, nor is it an unreasonable one.

    Just why MS is being so un-cooperative on this matter is not clear. The claim that it 'uses resources' simply isn't valid, and, frankly, never was.


    Wenda.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    07 Apr 2014 #33
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Pembrokeshire, South Wales, UK
    Posts : 1,483
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 15063 Multiprocessor Free

    Probably when all's said and done they will do what they want to do and hope the consumers will come around to their way of thinking.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    07 Apr 2014 #34
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,382
    W10 Pro, W10 Home

    Microsoft has the right to develop a product in any way they choose. If the consumer doesn't buy that product, then they will have to either rethink their position, or lose market share.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    07 Apr 2014 #35
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7

    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda, post: 22657, member: 149
    What do you mean, 'Back to"?

    I never left it. I still run a lot of DOS stuff in 'DOS-Box', including Win 3.1 and Office 4.


    Wenda.
    Now that is a bit too steep for me - but interesting.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    07 Apr 2014 #36
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 1,962
    Windows 7

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJay, post: 22738, member: 114
    Microsoft has the right to develop a product in any way they choose. If the consumer doesn't buy that product, then they will have to either rethink their position, or lose market share.
    That is certainly right. Problem is that half of the world and our economy depend on their products. As a 'private' user I can chose other things. But for big companies and goverment agencies switching to the wrong OS implies huge cost and disruption.

    Assume the oil supply would be cut in half. That would have a much smaller impact on all of us than the loss of a viable MS OS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    07 Apr 2014 #37
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Posts : 743
    Host W8.0 x64 Guest W10 x86

    Quote Originally Posted by Joan Archer, post: 22731, member: 14
    Probably when all's said and done they will do what they want to do and hope the consumers will come around to their way of thinking.
    In the past the MO has been to use a standard developed by someone else. Then make changes so that the original standard bearer is no longer "compatible." When you're the 800 LB gorilla you can do bizarre stuff like that.. unfortunately.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    07 Apr 2014 #38
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,382
    W10 Pro, W10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by whs, post: 22790, member: 58
    That is certainly right. Problem is that half of the world and our economy depend on their products. As a 'private' user I can chose other things. But for big companies and goverment agencies switching to the wrong OS implies huge cost and disruption.

    Assume the oil supply would be cut in half. That would have a much smaller impact on all of us than the loss of a viable MS OS.
    Microsoft wouldn't last very long as a company, if big corporations and government agencies didn't purchase their software. My point had more to do with the development of a cross platform OS, over a more traditional desktop. Microsoft has the right to develope software they think will sell, but if the consumer doesn't buy it, then Microsoft has to change course, like they are doing with 8.1 and now the 8.1 Update, or they will lose market share.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    23 Apr 2014 #39

    Quote Originally Posted by essenbe, post: 22386, member: 51
    MS has the opportunity to turn a not so well received OS into a pretty darn good one. My cynical nature makes me believe there was a reason it happened the way it did. My biggest hope is MS is going to make 9 into a very good os. They could simply do the overwhelming majority of that very easily. Let me have aero if I want it or turn it off if I prefer, let me have a start button or let me turn it off if I choose, let me boot to the desktop or the start menu, if I prefer. It's really pretty simple. Yet, they knew that when 8 was released. I syill have to ask why. MS usually has a reason for what they do. What was this one?
    .
    +1 Very well said I agree 100% if MS would just give us a choice I think most of the Windows 8 issues would have been avoided. -WS
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    28 Apr 2014 #40
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 372
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by WindowsStar, post: 25635, member: 137
    +1 Very well said I agree 100% if MS would just give us a choice I think most of the Windows 8 issues would have been avoided. -WS
    I'd love it if they fixed it. I suspect they will.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:07.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums