Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1.    08 Aug 2015 #31
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,205
    Windows 10 IoT

    As far as I know there is nothing stopping you from reinstalling the qualifying OS back on that same PC you did the upgrade on. That being true, if its Retail, you can transfer it to another PC. You don't lose that via the free upgrade. If that's true you haven't lost ay rights you had before the upgrade. It's only the Windows 10 install via the upgrade that's locked to the PC. It's a free offer and IMHO Microsoft has every right to put restrictions on how you get it and how you use it. Don't like it don't do it. Already did it, don't like it, Roll Back to your other OS you upgraded from.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    08 Aug 2015 #32
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,205
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyhi View Post
    yes, basically saving the retail key for windows 8.1 is a mute point of transfer..
    If you want windows 10 after the one year free period..
    you'll have to purchase it anyway
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    08 Aug 2015 #33
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    I'm in the ghetto
    Posts : 705
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by zooburner;327169Microsoft have made it really clear that the upgrade is for the lifetime of that [B
    device[/B] (not license number).
    I agree

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyhi View Post
    you are correct - the keyword is device
    The problem I have is that there is no mention of 'lifetime of the device' within the EULA.
    It is the EULA that forms the legally binding contract between Microsoft and the customer.
    It is the EULA that I agreed to when I ticked the check box during the installation procedure.
    It is the EULA that states:
    "If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you." (I emboldened the most relevant section that pertains to me and my upgrade from a retail license. I do not think it is unreasonable for me to expect Microsoft to honor this contract. After all, they let people purchase Win10 for $2 on their site due a typo/admin error on their site.

    End of the day, a contract is a contract and the law makes it binding.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    08 Aug 2015 #34
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyhi View Post
    did that different PC ever have windows 10 installed ???


    There is no secret we all have the same windows 10 product keys

    Windows 10 Upgrade Activation Keys
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Windows 10 Pro VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    Windows 10 Home YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7
    Darn, I didn't realize it was the same key for everyone. However, that PC didn't have W10 installed before, so the point still stands: he can use that key to install W10 on a different mobo.

    Also, according to this page, the upgrade will never expire, so it looks like we're good anyway.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    08 Aug 2015 #35
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 413
    10 pro 64 clean install

    Quote Originally Posted by zooburner View Post
    I think this is simpler than you think, here is my understanding.

    If you upgrade from windows 7/8 retail, you get an upgrade on that machine only.

    If later you swap machines after the free upgrade period you can transfer your copy of windows 7/8 onto that new machine (as per retail license) but if you want to upgrade you will have to pay for it, just like you always would have.

    Microsoft have made it really clear that the upgrade is for the lifetime of that device (not license number).

    Z
    Exactly how I was told... BTW A Retail version doesn't have limits . Just as long its install on only one computer at one time . There no limit as to how many computers you can install it on . This is why it's much more expensive than the rest . Its always has been with retail one set up on only one comp and transferable as often as you like
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    08 Aug 2015 #36

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyMe View Post
    I agree

    The problem I have is that there is no mention of 'lifetime of the device' within the EULA.
    It is the EULA that forms the legally binding contract between Microsoft and the customer.
    It is the EULA that I agreed to when I ticked the check box during the installation procedure.
    It is the EULA that states:
    "If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you." (I emboldened the most relevant that pertains to me and my upgrade from a retail license. I do not think it is unreasonable for me to expect Microsoft to honor this contract. After all, they let people purchase Win10 for $2 on their site due a typo/admin error on their site.

    End of the day, a contract is a contract and the law makes it binding.
    This is correct. The EULA clearly states that upgrades to the retail package may be transferred to another device that you own. Exercising this right _might_ require that you contact the upgrade center and obtain a new product ID key (as was the case back in the old XP and Vista days), but you could still do it with a minimum of hassle.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    08 Aug 2015 #37
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,205
    Windows 10 IoT

    OK, so how will you do the transfer? How do you verify to Microsoft the old install is no more? The Product Code isn't going to tell them jack. How do you activate the new hardware? The common Product code is useless for that? I'm not saying you can't, just don't see any easy way to do it like in the past. Product ID I guess, but I do believe some members reported that was the same on two or more of their PC's after the upgrade. It's very similar but different on two of my PC's.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    08 Aug 2015 #38
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,145
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyMe View Post
    I agree

    The problem I have is that there is no mention of 'lifetime of the device' within the EULA.
    It is the EULA that forms the legally binding contract between Microsoft and the customer.
    It is the EULA that I agreed to when I ticked the check box during the installation procedure.
    It is the EULA that states:
    "If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you." (I emboldened the most relevant section that pertains to me and my upgrade from a retail license. I do not think it is unreasonable for me to expect Microsoft to honor this contract. After all, they let people purchase Win10 for $2 on their site due a typo/admin error on their site.

    End of the day, a contract is a contract and the law makes it binding.
    Then on July 30, 2016 you will have a case to bring against Microsoft if they fail to comply with their contractual agreements (and it would be interesting to see if there can even be a contractual agreement for something that was not paid for to begin with). I don't know how it works in your country, but in America you can't bring a legal complaint against a company for future failure to meet a contractual agreement. But, according to our 1st Amendment, you are free to....ummmm.....grumble about the future possibilities.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    08 Aug 2015 #39
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 9
    Windows

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    OK, so how will you do the transfer? How do you verify to Microsoft the old install is no more? The Product Code isn't going to tell them jack. How do you activate the new hardware? The common Product code is useless for that? I'm not saying you can't, just don't see any easy way to do it like in the past. Product ID I guess, but I do believe some members reported that was the same on two or more of their PC's after the upgrade. It's very similar but different on two of my PC's.
    That's a different problem and that is something Microsoft has to figure out. People buying a retail Windows 10 license (not using the upgrade) also will need a way to transfer their license to a different device.

    The different replies in this topic exactly highlight the problem: currently no-one knows if a Windows 7/8.1 retail license is upgraded to a Windows 10 retail license (including the right to transfer the license to a different device). All responses in this topic are based on assumptions...
    Microsoft needs to make an official statement on two problems:
    • whether a Windows 7/8.1 retail license is upgraded to a Windows 10 retail license
    • how to transfer a Windows 10 retail license to a different device


    Just my 2 cents
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    08 Aug 2015 #40
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,205
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by DonCapuco View Post
    That's a different problem and that is something Microsoft has to figure out. People buying a retail Windows 10 license (not using the upgrade) also will need a way to transfer their license to a different device.

    The different replies in this topic exactly highlight the problem: currently no-one knows if a Windows 7/8.1 retail license is upgraded to a Windows 10 retail license (including the right to transfer the license to a different device). All responses in this topic are based on assumptions...
    Microsoft needs to make an official statement on two problems:
    • whether a Windows 7/8.1 retail license is upgraded to a Windows 10 retail license
    • how to transfer a Windows 10 retail license to a different device


    Just my 2 cents
    Buying full Retail isn't an issue, you get a unique Product Code to install with. And transfer if you want. I have Retail keys I can do that with via MSDN. It's only the free upgrades that use a common key. And likely for a reason?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved windows 10 home premium retail version key required?
I downloaded and burnt the win 10 installation iso file to dvd, if I want to make it like my win 8.1 retail disc do I need to purchase a retail key, for the windows 10? If so how do I go about it? Thanks! :)
Installation and Upgrade
HOW do I transfer windows (retail license) after upgrading to Windows
According to this Microsoft Community thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-do-i-transfer-windows-retail-license-after/6ee1dfe0-8adc-4cce-a46a-748963cf56d1?rtAction=1438237655029 when we...
Windows Updates and Activation
Info on Upgrading when Win 10 Insider version is already installed
FYI. I had a triple boot system, Win 7/Win 8.1/Win 10 Preview (Insider) V10240 - all on separate drives. I tried to upgrade the 8.1 installation to Win 10 and it failed on several attempts with different errors. I physically disconnected the...
Windows Insider
Upgrading to release version from preview?
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I keep reading that the release version of W10 will update any W7 or W8 installation. What happens with a Preview version? I am running it only now, and just wonder how that update will work. Do I have to...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:04.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums