How to clean files in C:\Windows\servicing\LCU

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 7,087
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #1

    How to clean files in C:\Windows\servicing\LCU


    I found the tool TLPD in another post which finds files having a path length which is too long. Most of my offending files are in this folder:
    C:\Windows\servicing\LCU\Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~17763.678.1.7

    How do you safely clean this folder which is probably no longer needed?
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 7,257
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #2

    This article might help. It seems its left overs from updates that can be cleaned with the disk cleanup tool.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 7,087
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    swarfega said:
    This article might help. It seems its left overs from updates that can be cleaned with the disk cleanup tool.
    The disk cleanup tool doesn't remove it. I have this folder created during the past 2 weeks on all PCs.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 1,778
    Windows 10 Pro,
       #4

    Why do you want to delete it, is it bothering you?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 7,257
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #5

    Steve C said:
    The disk cleanup tool doesn't remove it. I have this folder created during the past 2 weeks on all PCs.
    Strange, I don't have it on mine.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 7,087
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Rocky said:
    Why do you want to delete it, is it bothering you?
    Just curious -this thread mentions the use of the utility TPLD to find file paths exceeding 255 characters which can cause Explorer to report incorrect folder sizes File Explorer shows wrong folder size

    I tried TPLD and that found many long path files in C:\Windows\servicing\LCU as reported here
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 56,058
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #7

    Steve C said:
    I found the tool TLPD in another post which finds files having a path length which is too long. Most of my offending files are in this folder:
    C:\Windows\servicing\LCU\Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~17763.678.1.7

    How do you safely clean this folder which is probably no longer needed?
    I simply deleted them. No harm came my way. Been doing it for a while now. Last one was from 8/30/19, ~485mb, 42000+ items.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 24,601
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #8

    swarfega said:
    Strange, I don't have it on mine.

    I have it on mine. The LCU folder seems to be a 1903 thing (edit: apparently not, the OP's seems to say 17763). it was created on the day I updated to 1903.

    Mine contains one folder named: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~18362.329.1.11

    This folder's creation date matches the installation of the cumulative update KB4512941 and the servicing stack KB4515530.

    Its Properties say that it contains 37,131 Files, 8,568 Folders and occupies 507MB. There appears to be nothing that can clean this up, Disk Clean-up or CCleaner.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 56,058
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #9

    Just delete them. It'll ask for Admin ok, say yes, and watch them go away.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 7,087
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #10

    Bree said:
    I have it on mine. The LCU folder seems to be a 1903 thing, it was created on the day I updated to 1903.

    Mine contains one folder named: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~18362.329.1.11

    This folder's creation date matches the installation of the cumulative update KB4512941 and the servicing stack KB4515530.

    Its Properties say that it contains 37,131 Files, 8,568 Folders and occupies 507MB. There appears to be nothing that can clean this up, Disk Clean-up or CCleaner.
    All my PCs have it - two on 1809 and one on 1903. I just deleted them as mentioned above - all gone.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:24.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums