Windows 10: Desktop crashes after login in Windows 10

  1.    07 Aug 2015 #1

    Desktop crashes after login in Windows 10


    Apologies if this is addressed elsewhere, but I could not find a similar thread.

    I received the notice that the windows 10 update was available for a windows 7 laptop we have. The install appeared to go fine, it did not give me any error messages on this. However now that it is completed and tried to use it we have an issue. It loads to the windows login fine, accepts your password, loads the desktop, but then after approximately 15 seconds the tiles on the quick launch bar vanishes, followed by the entire start menu and desktop. I am left with a black screen and a mouse cursor. I am able to access task manager through ctrl+alt+del, and use Run in there in order to access the various programs, but not explorer.exe like normal. This appears to not be running and if I try to run it, the task bar flashes for a few moments but then reverts to the black screen.

    I have verified that the drivers are all current (as much as I'm able to working in command prompt and device manager). I cannot access the windows 10 settings since they are windows explorer based (as far as am aware).

    I have tried booting the computer into Safe Mode but the same issue happened.

    I tried creating a new profile and using it, however the same issue happened. Since I can't access the Windows Update I can't revert back to windows 7, so any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    07 Aug 2015 #2

    WoIfStar said: View Post
    Apologies if this is addressed elsewhere, but I could not find a similar thread.

    I received the notice that the windows 10 update was available for a windows 7 laptop we have. The install appeared to go fine, it did not give me any error messages on this. However now that it is completed and tried to use it we have an issue. It loads to the windows login fine, accepts your password, loads the desktop, but then after approximately 15 seconds the tiles on the quick launch bar vanishes, followed by the entire start menu and desktop. I am left with a black screen and a mouse cursor. I am able to access task manager through ctrl+alt+del, and use Run in there in order to access the various programs, but not explorer.exe like normal. This appears to not be running and if I try to run it, the task bar flashes for a few moments but then reverts to the black screen.

    I have verified that the drivers are all current (as much as I'm able to working in command prompt and device manager). I cannot access the windows 10 settings since they are windows explorer based (as far as am aware).

    I have tried booting the computer into Safe Mode but the same issue happened.

    I tried creating a new profile and using it, however the same issue happened. Since I can't access the Windows Update I can't revert back to windows 7, so any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Laptop or Desktop problem give as much info on your system as possible,, how did you upgrade.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    07 Aug 2015 #3

    Bazz said: View Post
    Laptop or Desktop problem give as much info on your system as possible,, how did you upgrade.
    Apologies, didn't think about that. It's a laptop that was upgraded through the icon in the notification tray. I don't remember the other specs to the computer very well, since it's a friend's machine. Upgraded from Windows 7 Home Edition
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    07 Aug 2015 #4

    WoIfStar said: View Post
    Apologies, didn't think about that. It's a laptop that was upgraded through the icon in the notification tray. I don't remember the other specs to the computer very well, since it's a friend's machine. Upgraded from Windows 7 Home Edition
    Ok np to do things in the correct order you really need a bootable copy of windows 10 on a flash drive or DVD, I don't suppose you made a image of the Winndows 7 Hard drive before you started the upgrade?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    07 Aug 2015 #5

    Refresh Windows 10 Have a look at this tutorial if you have another pc to look at it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hello everyone! I'm loving the new Windows 10! But this problem is really bugging me. Whenever I right-click a file anywhere on the Desktop, the File Explorer crashes briefly and then comes right back up. This does not happen anywhere else,...
I was having similar issues on windows 7 X64, recently updated to 10, issues are still here. Computer will crash during gaming, sometimes it lasts a while or crashes pretty immediately, afterwards, attempting to start the computer will trigger many...
Read more at: Desktop PCs and the Windows desktop: Endangered species? | ZDNet AmF_izdlsvY
Just tried to change the color of windows mail app in the settings, now it just minimizes but doesn't load. Not sure how to fix this. Thanks **EDIT** So after one reboot it didn't fix it, but I just rebooted after installing hyper-v and...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58.
Find Us