Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    08 Aug 2015 #21
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 1,878
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10

    I have windows 10 on DV8P - via ISO upgrade...

    No Issues.. But others have failed the upgrade process..
    Much Better off creating a recovery drive with the factory install - Just in case of trouble..
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    08 Aug 2015 #22
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,248
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjoe View Post
    Hmm!

    Both the option to go back to W8.1 and to Reset the tablet to factory settings are still there. Looks like the message in the "Get Windows 10" thing was a mistake.

    Can you do me another favor? Go to C:\ and tell me if you see a Windows.old folder.
    Reset likely resets back to Windows 10, not 8.1. Go Back to 8.1 is the roll back function and has nothing to do with the factory restore feature. Do the roll back and your PC will be just like it was just before you did the upgrade to 10. The factory restore option the OEM installs takes the PC back to the OOBE. Do that and its just like it was the first time you turned it on. It will wipe all your files and installed programs too.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    08 Aug 2015 #23
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 234
    Windows 10, 8.1, 7, and Vista
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Reset likely resets back to Windows 10, not 8.1. Go Back to 8.1 is the roll back function and has nothing to do with the factory restore feature. Do the roll back and your PC will be just like it was just before you did the upgrade to 10. The factory restore option the OEM installs takes the PC back to the OOBE. Do that and its just like it was the first time you turned it on. It will wipe all your files and installed programs too.
    I know what both options do. My whole post was about asking if the option to reset the tablet to "OOBE" was possible after upgrading, something which the "Get Windows 10" thing says I wouldn't be able to do. But thanks to the screenshot above, it's confirmed that the option to reset the tablet still exists.


    Thanks a lot for your help everyone. I will upgrade the tablet tonight.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    08 Aug 2015 #24
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 1,878
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10

    The screen shot you posted states you will not be able to RESET back to the Factory Installation..

    Windows 10 does contain a RESET feature - BUT does not work the same way as Windows 8..

    The Windows 10 Reset Feature is a Windows Only Reset - the issue may arise with pre-loading 3rd party drivers..
    Because if they are not all included within the windows media, your touch tablet is screwed on Reset..

    Windows 10 uses a provisioning package the include the 3rd party drivers and Apps.. From which you do not have.. Thus they will not be included when you choose to Reset..

    And on my Dell Venue there are 25 > 3rd party drivers, not included within windows media..
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    08 Aug 2015 #25
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 234
    Windows 10, 8.1, 7, and Vista
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyhi View Post
    The screen shot you posted states you will not be able to RESET back to the Factory Installation..

    Windows 10 does contain a RESET feature - BUT does not work the same way as Windows 8..

    The Windows 10 Reset Feature is a Windows Only Reset - the issue may arise with pre-loading 3rd party drivers..
    Because if they are not all included within the windows media, your touch tablet is screwed on Reset..

    Windows 10 uses a provisioning package the include the 3rd party drivers and Apps.. From which you do not have.. Thus they will not be included when you choose to Reset..

    And on my Dell Venue there are 25 > 3rd party drivers, not included within windows media..
    Are you sure? I just did a reset on mine (currently on W8.1 with Bing) using W8's built in recovery via "Reset this PC" button. Everything is working fine.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    08 Aug 2015 #26
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,248
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjoe View Post
    I know what both options do. My whole post was about asking if the option to reset the tablet to "OOBE" was possible after upgrading, something which the "Get Windows 10" thing says I wouldn't be able to do. But thanks to the screenshot above, it's confirmed that the option to reset the tablet still exists.


    Thanks a lot for your help everyone. I will upgrade the tablet tonight.
    The Reset function shown in the screen shot does not Reset back to the Windows 8.1 OOBE. Not as far as I know anyway.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    08 Aug 2015 #27
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 234
    Windows 10, 8.1, 7, and Vista
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    The Reset function shown in the screen shot does not Reset back to the Windows 8.1 OOBE. Not as far as I know anyway.
    I KNOW!!!

    The "go back to W8.1" button does disappear after 1 month. We know this.

    My post was about the button that resets the tablet back to default, factory settings... Or "OOBE".
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    08 Aug 2015 #28
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjoe View Post
    Hi all.

    I went to go upgrade my Dell Venue 8 Pro 3000, and just to check compatability, I opened the "Get Windows 10" thing. I saw this message:

    I'm assuming the message is referring to the ability to downgrade back to Windows 8.1. Due to the small eMMC storage in the tablet, "Get Windows 10" is telling me I won't be able to downgrade back to W8.1. Is this true? Or is it actually telling me that I won't be able to reset the tablet back to factory settings?

    Thanks
    This is interesting. I went to Dell to see if they had instructions and found that the device is heavily discounted ($99) - I'm thinking about getting one. But that's not why I'm replying

    I'm pretty sure that you CAN upgrade to Win10 and use Win10 Recovery features - it's the factory restore feature that you lose. That's probably ok though, since a lot of it is 'bloatware'.

    If your model is NOT a Series 3000 - you can probably disregard this entire post.

    A bit more digging for the manual, led me here:
    Dell Venue 8 Pro (3845, Late 2014) Product Support | Dell US This confusing message is prominent on the support page

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DellVenue.PNG 
Views:	5 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	29462

    but the supported tablets information conflicts with that
    Computers tested for upgrade to Windows 10 -Tablets
    Tablets

    The table below lists Dell tablets that have been tested for upgrade to Windows 10. If your tablet is not listed, the hardware has not been tested and drivers have not been updated for that model, and Dell does not recommended an upgrade to Windows 10. If you wish to proceed with an upgrade to Windows 10 on an untested system, Microsoft provides information and support for upgrade through their upgrade website.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DellVenueSpt'd.PNG 
Views:	36 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	29468


    Anyway ...

    The manual is here: Venue 8 Pro 3000 Series User’s Manual (PDF)
    I didn't see anything on creating Dell Recovery media (Reset and Refresh - yes).
    I don't know what's storeed on the SD card, but you might ... might be able to create a backup image of the 20 GB drive and put it on a new SD card. Macrium Reflect can do that or maybe Windows create system image (not sure about Tablets.

    If the device is in the 3000 series (meaning you've read this far), please post a list of what's on the SD card - that would help me understand backup[ requirements. Thanks - I'm learning with you about Dell tablets.

    The help pages are here:
    Win8: http://www.dell.com/support/contents...dows-8-support

    Win10: http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN297955
    Due to the conflicting information on the Dell site, I think Dell is the best source for your answers. OEMs are supporting Win10 all the way, so you should get some great response from Dell even if their web pages are wonky.

    You can chat with them about your specific device and the tasks you need to perform (create a recovery drive,), what the messages mean (Dell won't be the contact for Win10 support???), and how to get he best upgrade experience. Ask them detailed questions (can I connect a USB drive to do a backup - how do I do that .... After I upgrade what Dell software will run [relates to the factory restore message - you can always download the Dell 'bloat', if you use it now, will it run on Win10???]).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    08 Aug 2015 #29
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 1,878
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by xmris View Post
    sure, this is what I see:

    Attachment 29471
    That screen shows/allows a ROLLBACK to your prior OS for 30 days

    Not the same option used by RESET THIS PC

    If you rollback back to windows 8 the windows 8 RESET feature will still RESET to factory settings..
    After the 30 Day rollback period - you will only get the windows 10 RESET feature
    But you should still retain the factory image partition

    So Once again I state - Create a Recovery Drive with your Factory Installation - you can then even Opt to remoce the recovery partition and gain disk space - then upgrade to windows 10 via ISO method..

    Also the screen shot OP posted is the windows 10 compatibility report
    And The Venue DOES support windows 10
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    08 Aug 2015 #30
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,248
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjoe View Post
    I KNOW!!!

    The "go back to W8.1" button does disappear after 1 month. We know this.

    My post was about the button that resets the tablet back to default, factory settings... Or "OOBE".
    OK, your other post was just a bit confusing? You said the screen shot confirms you can still do a Reset. Yes you can but that is not the reset to OOBE. I wasn't sure if you realized that is all. You will lose the ability to do the factory reset back to OOBE when you upgrade to 10. Just like the warning message says.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
"You Need The Internet For This" Error Message
I updated to Windows 10 this morning and everything has been working great aside from one issue. Cortana, the Xbox App, and a few others that require me to sign in using my Windows ID give me a message saying "You'll need the internet for this," and...
Network and Sharing
Error message: "Unable to create an installation log"
Hi all, Wondered if someone could help? I have upgraded two machines to Win 10 over the past few days. Both installations went fine initially, except that on one machine, after coming out of Outlook I then couldn't restart the app - it said...
Installation and Upgrade
Error message "uncountable boot volume" on start up then black screen
Hi, when restarting my laptop after a windows 10 update yesterday, got an " unmountable boot volume" message on start up with windows trying to repair but then goes to a black screen with nothing but a white cursor. only displaying black screen....
Installation and Upgrade
Account "require sign-in" timeout not working on tablet
This is about to make me go back to Win 8.1. Doesn't matter what I have the "require sign-in" set to under account settings (including never), if I press the power button and sleep my Surface 3 even for 30 seconds it requires me to log in again...
General Support
Getting error message "MSVCP100.dll is missing..."
Started happening after the WIN 10 upgrade. Attempting to start half of my programs leads to 3 popups of the same thing saying "The program can't start because MSVCP100.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:31.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums