Windows 10: Unable to search or click START after upgrading to Windows 10 Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 10
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
       07 Aug 2015 #1

    Unable to search or click START after upgrading to Windows 10 Home


    *Moved the thread*

    Hello,


    A couple of days back I upgraded to windows 10. I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 successfully and no problems. After that today I open my laptop and I have a black screen. I move my touchpad thinking I'm going to get to the login screen but still nothing happens. I hit the power button on my laptop to shut down and it does that. I turn on my computer I'm able to get to the login screen. I put my password then I see a black screen. I have IObit Advanced SystemCare so in the corner that's what I see but the rest is black. I wait for a while nothing happens then shut off the pc. Same thing happened and then I think at the third or fourth time I turn on my computer then go to the living room and come back and it's fixed. I play Minecraft so I was doing that. I also have a touchpad issue where when I hold the keys down I can't move my mouse but I already know the solution for that and so when I go to click the start button nothing happens. I was confused and thought maybe it was just slower than normal. I clicked the search button; nothing happened. I then search up on the web "unable to click start button on windows 10" and I find a post with a solution but wasn't really for me:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    1. Open Windows PowerShell as Administrator
      1. Right click Start button
      2. Choose Command prompt (Admin)
      3. Key in Powershell in the black window and hit Enter

    2. Paste the following command in the Administrator: Windows PowerShell window and press Enterkey:Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    3. Wait for PowerShell to execute and complete the command. Ignore the few errors (in red color) that may pop up.
    4. When it finishes, try hitting Start and hopefully itíll start working. If not, this solution wonít apply to you, unfortunately.


    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    This didn't actually work I have my cmd open still and nothing has happened. Anything else that can resolve this issue? Any help is appreciated!

      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 10
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       07 Aug 2015 #2

    Any help? :'(
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    07 Aug 2015 #3

    I believe I have the solution to your problem, which would be to create a new admin account through the cmd prompt.
    Ctrl+Shift+ESC then run prompt as an admin.

    http://operating-systems.wonderhowto...ndows-0125689/
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 10
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       07 Aug 2015 #4

    seagula said: View Post
    I believe I have the solution to your problem, which would be to create a new admin account through the cmd prompt.
    Ctrl+Shift+ESC then run prompt as an admin.

    http://operating-systems.wonderhowto...ndows-0125689/
    But then wouldn't I be losing everything I have on my current account??
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    07 Aug 2015 #5

    No it just makes a new user that has a cleaner startup process, you can always go back in explorer and copy your user files back over to the new account.

    Vatsan said: View Post
    But then wouldn't I be losing everything I have on my current account??
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 10
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       07 Aug 2015 #6

    seagula said: View Post
    No it just makes a new user that has a cleaner startup process, you can always go back in explorer and copy your user files back over to the new account.
    Ok, how can I make a new user? And will it be the new admin?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 28
    Windows 10 Pro/Home, Debian testing
       07 Aug 2015 #7

    I had this problem several days ago and I tried the "Get-AppXPackage" command you mentioned in your first post and it did fix the issue.

    From the source I found the command, the poster also recommended that:
    1. try to run the command several times if you see some errors (in red color);
    2. reboot after the command finishes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 10
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       07 Aug 2015 #8

    seagula said: View Post
    I believe I have the solution to your problem, which would be to create a new admin account through the cmd prompt.
    Ctrl+Shift+ESC then run prompt as an admin.

    http://operating-systems.wonderhowto...ndows-0125689/
    I've just done this but now how exactly do I switch to the other user?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 10
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       07 Aug 2015 #9

    cameos said: View Post
    I had this problem several days ago and I tried the "Get-AppXPackage" command you mentioned in your first post and it did fix the issue.

    From the source I found the command, the poster also recommended that:
    1. try to run the command several times if you see some errors (in red color);
    2. reboot after the command finishes.
    It never did finish, or I wasn't sure when it did.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    07 Aug 2015 #10

    Different user just press windows key + l to lock it then click on other user and try to login
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Solved How can i right click search? in Browsers and Email
When I select web text I would like to be able to right click and click on search. Is there anyway I can do this?
Hello, A couple of days back I upgraded to windows 10. I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 successfully and no problems. After that today I open my laptop and I have a black screen. I move my touchpad thinking I'm going to get to the login screen but...
Hiyas, some program groups or app shortcuts inside start menu folder won't show in full desktop start menu nor they're able to pin to home screen. I inspected respective folders a bit but found nothing suspicious. Most of them was created by regular...
Hi, I bought a Dell inspiron I15RV laptop 2 years ago. It had windows 8, i upgraded to windows 8.1. The store was working fine. I was able to download apps and games. But unfortunately, few months ago my store stopped working. I tried almost...
I just did the upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 - overall pretty seamless given what could have gone wrong- I was lucky this time. Some minor annoyances , but overall pretty good. On the task bar search, about an hour ago, I know it was searching...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57.
Find Us