Windows 10: Windows 10 screwed my laptop hard.. Solved

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 41
    Windows 8 Pro, Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       07 Aug 2015 #21

    Bazz said: View Post
    Should be on the main tab, look for Boot Devices
    I just did the Hard Drive Check and did both the Quick Check and Extensive Check, both results were Smart Check: Passed while Short DST: Failed.. both times
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    07 Aug 2015 #22

    Bralle9 said: View Post
    I just did the Hard Drive Check and did both the Quick Check and Extensive Check, both results were Smart Check: Passed while Short DST: Failed.. both times
    Is your Hard Drive Listed? like here First Drive.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c02704674.gif 
Views:	115 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	29191
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    07 Aug 2015 #23

    Since you did make an image I would try making a win 10 dvd and try to upgrade again . Or do a clean install but not format the drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 92
    windows 10 pro
       07 Aug 2015 #24

    Its looking like clean installing w10 from a bootable USB ( I assume your upgraded w10 is activated) . obviously you will need another machine to create the bootable USB from a w10 iso . I'm sorry you've lost your work and hopefully I'm wrong about having to reinstall . you can use a bootable USB creator tool , I like Rufus( free) myself . check in your bios for uefi settings and ensure legacy isn't selected , also make sure the boot order is correctly set to boot from external device first .

    Good luck
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    07 Aug 2015 #25

    Bazz said: View Post
    Hi

    If you have lots of files on there you need boot from a Linux CD and get them off before you reinstall.

    Regards
    Exactly what I'd do. Don't forget he may have to contend with any UEFI restrictions imposed by the BIOS. He may have to disable UEFI in the BIOS for it to recognize a USB device if he's using one to recover any files.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 41
    Windows 8 Pro, Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       07 Aug 2015 #26

    Bazz said: View Post
    Is your Hard Drive Listed? like here First Drive.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c02704674.gif 
Views:	115 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	29191
    My startup menu does not look like that, Id attach a picture but I dont know how since I am using my phone to do this
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 41
    Windows 8 Pro, Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       07 Aug 2015 #27

    Slugger said: View Post
    Since you did make an image I would try making a win 10 dvd and try to upgrade again . Or do a clean install but not format the drive.
    Sorry, my laptop does not have a DVD disk inserter, no discs can be inserted, if you mean that I should make a booted version .iso and then place it in the flashdrive then maybe my laptop will respond
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    07 Aug 2015 #28

    Bralle9 said: View Post
    My startup menu does not look like that, Id attach a picture but I dont know how since I am using my phone to do this
    If you have another pc use that get me a pic of your Bios. It should look something like that they are all similar.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    07 Aug 2015 #29

    Bralle9 said: View Post
    Sorry, my laptop does not have a DVD disk inserter, no discs can be inserted, if you mean that I should make a booted version .iso and then place it in the flashdrive then maybe my laptop will respond
    Well it's up to you but if your Drive is not listed in the bios it's a waste of time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 41
    Windows 8 Pro, Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       07 Aug 2015 #30

    Bazz said: View Post
    If you have another pc use that get me a pic of your Bios. It should look something like that they are all similar.
    This is how my startup menu looks like Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20150807_161605[1].jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	670.8 KB 
ID:	29196
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Related Threads
My RAM is G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) As you can see, it is advertised as 1600MHz. A lot of people have been having problems about it being set to 1333MHz on the BIOS, so I had to specify...
I have a laptop and a desktop with a 120 gig ssd and a 64 gig SSD respectively. Both computers have conventional hard drives as drive D. I have two 250 gig SSD's on the way. What is the best strategy for moving to the new SSD's and preforming the...
My laptop will boot both Windows 10 and Windows 7 from a Crucial SSD. Can I use the Windows 10 hard disk drivers with Windows 7? If so how would I set about installing them? I have a USB stick with Windows 10 build 10049. At the moment...
This is like an algebra question and I was never good at algebra. My Network in a nut shell Computer A - Windows 7 Professional Desktop Computer B - Windows 8.1 Laptop Computer C - Windows 10 Laptop build 9926 (looked for updates as I know...
Windows 10 TP Hiding Hard Drives? in Drivers and Hardware
Anyone having trouble with Build 10041 hiding Drives? 1552115522
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:48.
Find Us