Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

  1. Joined : Aug 2014
    State College, PA, USA
    Posts : 12
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
       08 Sep 2014 #311

    LittleJay said: View Post
    I'm not sure where you are getting your data about W8 Ent taking 8.4 GBs and W7 Ult taking 8.2 Gbs, but I haven't seen that small of a footprint, after an initial install, since Windows XP.
    In the link I provided above. That footprint probably doesn't include the paging/swap file which could be double your memory size and take up a majority of the 20-30 GB you're talking about. The paging file is user customizable, so it's not really part of the required Windows footprint. In fact, if you're running an SSD with plenty of RAM, you shouldn't be having a large paging file any ways.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,346
    W10 Pro, W10 Home
       08 Sep 2014 #312

    cipher said: View Post
    In the link I provided above. That footprint probably doesn't include the paging/swap file which could be double your memory size and take up a majority of the 20-30 GB you're talking about. The paging file is user customizable, so it's not really part of the required Windows footprint. In fact, if you're running an SSD with plenty of RAM, you shouldn't be having a large paging file any ways.
    My apologies for not seeing the link you provided earlier. I have 8 Gbs of RAM installed with the swap file on both installations set at 2 Gbs. The sizes I quoted in my earlier post are from Computer Management. Thinking back to when I clean installed W8 I do remember that it was initially quite a bit larger on the disk, but after a while later it actually shrank in size. I figured it had to do with W8 having better file compression and disk cleanup capability than W7, but that may or may not be the case. I don't have anything against W7 per se, it runs just fine, but it has been my experience, at least on my PC, that W8 seems to run noticeably better.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Nov 2013
    Posts : 211
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       08 Sep 2014 #313

    I would like to see Outlook Express back with go to in box at launch. Also Be able to put pictures in e-mails (not thumbnails). Number 2- be able to do what I want to my PC with out telling me that I don't have permission. Number 3- be able to write an delete what I want on C:.
    Last edited by Clint; 08 Sep 2014 at 15:43.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Apr 2014
    Space coast of Florida
    Posts : 4,317
    Windows 10 Pro X64 14393.576
       09 Sep 2014 #314

    Not sure if I said this before or not, but I would really like to be able to do a Repair Install from a booted DVD/flash drive. Being able to do that fixed a lot of problems for me in XP over the years without having to do a full install.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Jun 2014
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts : 37
    Windows 8.1 Update 1 Pro 64bit
       09 Sep 2014 #315

    Ztruker said: View Post
    Not sure if I said this before or not, but I would really like to be able to do a Repair Install from a booted DVD/flash drive. Being able to do that fixed a lot of problems for me in XP over the years without having to do a full install.
    Amen to that, sure would make a lot of things easier!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Sep 2014
    UK
    Posts : 88
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
       10 Sep 2014 #316

    I would like a OS version for lower end machines.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,197
    Windows 10 IoT
       10 Sep 2014 #317

    Windowsnoob61 said: View Post
    I would like a OS version for lower end machines.
    Have a look at this and see if it might apply, http://www.nineforums.com/windows-9-...t-devices.html
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Sep 2014
    notts
    Posts : 29
    windows 8.1 pro with media centre
       11 Sep 2014 #318

    Ztruker said: View Post
    Not sure if I said this before or not, but I would really like to be able to do a Repair Install from a booted DVD/flash drive. Being able to do that fixed a lot of problems for me in XP over the years without having to do a full install.
    remember when you got it wrong and ended up with 2 of everything....

    no.. just me then lol..

    i cant see why win8 refresh wasn't made to do this, also, have they made it so a device with no cdrom can refresh without asking you to put in the cd yet ??.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Apr 2014
    Space coast of Florida
    Posts : 4,317
    Windows 10 Pro X64 14393.576
       11 Sep 2014 #319

    I'd like to be able to run Modern Apps and use the store with UAC completely disabled, which is how I run and how I will continue to run.

    There is no technical reason for this restriction, just MS being arbitrary and trying to protect me from myself which I neither need or want.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,943
    All kinds
       12 Sep 2014 #320

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Have a look at this and see if it might apply, http://www.nineforums.com/windows-9-...t-devices.html
    All it takes is good optimization and any OS will run good on lower end machines while providing top performance on better or top of the line ones. You can't really make an OS for lower end machines without hurting performance of better ones.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
window 10 issue
i dont know much about programing so please give answers like your giving to a caveman lol problem last night the laptop restarted and i could only acess the apps menu and couldnt swap back to the desktop window so i recovered back to build...
General Support
Window 10 will be free or not for Insiders?
I have a question, Window 10 will be free or not for Insiders? The ppl who is in the Insider program will get a valid license for free or not?
General Support
White window frames around every window.
Since 10122 I've noticed that they changed the window frames from using accent colours to just using white all the time. Personally I don't like this and I am wondering if there is a way to bring accent colouring back.
Customization
window 7 activation
i recently removed my activation key permanently. i dont know how i did that. there is no option showing for product key in system properties. how do i re get that17624
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums