Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
  1.    07 Feb 2014 #191

    "Well you are entitled to your opinion as well as i am to mine"

    You most certainly are, but outspoken criticism sometimes interests readers enough to require an explanation. IMO, Windows 8 received bad press, and got hung from the start, by broad, unexplained, remarks, from "trusted" sources..

    "the metro screen sucks without touch"

    Why? The procedure, with a mouse, is so close to similarity.

    "it is very frustrating to get around the metro screen especially going back and forth on the slider with a mouse ".

    What slider? It is precisely the same, with or without a mouse - a sweep across the screen. I agree with you that it can be annoying when you accidentally click the corner and the idiot "Charms" bar pops up. Such irritants have, however, been prevalent in various ways, in several previous OSs. It didn't take me too long to be a little more cautious and, for the most part, avoid the occurrence.

    FWIW. Just wanted to add. Windows 8 was innovative, as was Windows Vista/7 before it, and, because of that may also fail, as did Vista. But, as I see it, without the new "Modern GUI" , I honestly do not consider that Windows 8 offered enough, over Windows 7, to warrant an entire, and expensive, new OS.

    Your point regarding projection is well taken, but, surely, this is a minority concept and not a consideration for condemning an entire OS. Touch screens for projection and demonstration have been around long before Windows 8 became a reality.

    It is an opinion, I know so well, but, with a customised Modern GUI, I find it easier and faster to select and use programs than I ever did with that very lengthy (also customised) legacy start menu, together with its multi sub folders.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    07 Feb 2014 #192
    Join Date : Feb 2014
    Posts : 372
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by davehc, post: 14191, member: 120
    "Well you are entitled to your opinion as well as i am to mine"

    You most certainly are, but outspoken criticism sometimes interests readers enough to require an explanation. IMO, Windows 8 received bad press, and got hung from the start, by broad, unexplained, remarks, from "trusted" sources..

    "the metro screen sucks without touch"

    Why? The procedure, with a mouse, is so close to similarity.

    "it is very frustrating to get around the metro screen especially going back and forth on the slider with a mouse ".

    What slider? It is precisely the same, with or without a mouse - a sweep across the screen. I agree with you that it can be annoying when you accidentally click the corner and the idiot "Charms" bar pops up. Such irritants have, however, been prevalent in various ways, in several previous OSs. It didn't take me too long to be a little more cautious and, for the most part, avoid the occurrence.

    FWIW. Just wanted to add. Windows 8 was innovative, as was Windows Vista/7 before it, and, because of that may also fail, as did Vista. But, as I see it, without the new "Modern GUI" , I honestly do not consider that Windows 8 offered enough, over Windows 7, to warrant an entire, and expensive, new OS.

    Your point regarding projection is well taken, but, surely, this is a minority concept and not a consideration for condemning an entire OS. Touch screens for projection and demonstration have been around long before Windows 8 became a reality.

    It is an opinion, I know so well, but, with a customised Modern GUI, I find it easier and faster to select and use programs than I ever did with that very lengthy (also customised) legacy start menu, together with its multi sub folders.
    Wow.... the denial is strong in this one....
    I'm sorry, but crisis what crisis attitude is somewhat disingenuous....
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    07 Feb 2014 #193
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Standish, Lancashire
    Posts : 6,068
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Robinb9, post: 14128, member: 21
    make the metro screen optional on PCs only.
    It is isn't it, I've not seen the metro screen since I installed months ago.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    07 Feb 2014 #194
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,382
    W10 Pro, W10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by z3r010, post: 14235, member: 1
    It is isn't it, I've not seen the metro screen since I installed months ago.
    Same here. Some people like the metro screen and some people, myself included, prefer the old start menu, but with 8.1 you can go either way.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    07 Feb 2014 #195
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Chicagoland
    Posts : 34,740
    Dual boot Windows 10 FCU Pro x 64 & current Insider 10 Pro

    It's bi-OS-extual.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    07 Feb 2014 #196

    Lets take a step back, most of us who are i n here are techies like myself. I do not have a problem with windows 8.1 because i can tweak it to make it more user friendly just like all of you can, I boot to the desktop only. But the average user has no clue what to do and freak out when they get a new laptop or desktop. I work with businesses who purchased new systems running 8 but hated it because they did not want to hire an IT person to fix them all so they sent it back and asked for windows 7 pro to be put on them. I work with Dell and my rep told me the same thing, their business sales for windows 8 are down and their sales for windows 7 are up.
    The average home user (not the younger generation) is lost with windows 8, i know because the new clients that i got when 8 came out, the first thing they asked for is to make it more user friendly by putting in a start menu because they had no idea how to get around the OS
    The seminars i give on windows 8 , 99% are beginners from 35+ yrs of age, i do not do only seniors, i do for businesses and the average jo, and the first thing i tell them about is you can make a start menu using 3rd party software and they all smile a sigh of relief, then i go into using the OS
    All of their biggest complaint is it is hard to use the mouse no matter which one they use on a non touch windows 8 computer, actually some in the audience are techy ppl and they say the same thing. Not everyone can go out and afford to buy a good mouse nor do they want to, they paid enough for the pc they do not want to spend more money on additional hardware. Most pcs come bundled with a mouse and keyboard and that is what they use.
    So in windows 9 why can't Microsoft put back the start menu without using 3rd party software, and make it a bit easier to move around with a mouse.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    07 Feb 2014 #197

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleJay, post: 14241, member: 114
    Same here. Some people like the metro screen and some people, myself included, prefer the old start menu, but with 8.1 you can go either way.
    You still need to tweak it for the start menu or get 3rd party software, so you really cannot go either way without doing the tweaks,the way the start menu looks now , it still does not look like windows 7
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    07 Feb 2014 #198

    Or in windows 9 talk to the manufacturers and figure out a way to make touch screen monitors affordable for everyone, this way one has the best of both ways, touch or non touch.
    Actually when i work on a touch laptop and use a mouse instead, the slider on the bottom moves better, then on a non touch laptop, and i am using the same wired mouse or wireless mouse. so there is something different between them, so just make that for non touch also.
    I did an experiment to see, i used the mouse ( wireless and wired) digital mouse on my non touch laptop and a similar one i bought for a client that was a touch screen. I did the exact thing on both. The touch screen laptop moved much better with no issues. The non touch did not
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    07 Feb 2014 #199
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Pembrokeshire, South Wales, UK
    Posts : 1,481
    Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit 15063 Multiprocessor Free

    To be honest I didn't miss the start menu, I wanted to see if I could use it the way it was presented.

    I don't have a touch screen and much prefer using a mouse with this Notebook rather than the touchpad.
    OK I've got 8.1 now so have a Start button, I'm finding it useful but mainly only use it to right click and shutdown. I boot to the desktop but do use the Start screen still for some of my programs, I like Windows 8.1 and use it more than my Windows 7 machine.

    I may be an old fogey in many ways but I do like to try out new technology when it comes out and don't usually put 3rd party stuff on it so it looks and feels like an old OS, it's new so I want to see if I can use it as is, so far I can.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    07 Feb 2014 #200
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,382
    W10 Pro, W10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by Robinb9, post: 14270, member: 21
    You still need to tweak it for the start menu or get 3rd party software, so you really cannot go either way without doing the tweaks,the way the start menu looks now , it still does not look like windows 7
    I use Classic Shell which is free, easy to install and has worked flawlessly for me. So as long as Classic Shell is available, I don't care if MS brings back the old start menu or not. Of course this is my opinion and as that old saying goes, "That and a nickel will buy me a cup of coffee".
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
window 10 issue
i dont know much about programing so please give answers like your giving to a caveman lol problem last night the laptop restarted and i could only acess the apps menu and couldnt swap back to the desktop window so i recovered back to build...
General Support
Window 10 will be free or not for Insiders?
I have a question, Window 10 will be free or not for Insiders? The ppl who is in the Insider program will get a valid license for free or not?
General Support
White window frames around every window.
Since 10122 I've noticed that they changed the window frames from using accent colours to just using white all the time. Personally I don't like this and I am wondering if there is a way to bring accent colouring back.
Customization
window 7 activation
i recently removed my activation key permanently. i dont know how i did that. there is no option showing for product key in system properties. how do i re get that17624
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums