Windows 10: What would you like to see in Window 9?

Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
  1.    24 Jan 2014 #151

    One thing I would like to see, in any future OS is, at an ending stage of the installation, a questionnaire similar to the customisation options that are in Windows 8, but dedicated to security options..
    It should, in the first instance, offer as a choice, Microsoft's defaults, or, for the experienced user, no security implants whatsoever. With the latter, it could then have a questionnaire, with alternative choices of UAC,, Windows Defender...etc etc.
    At a later stage, it could offer an unadorned IE, under the same criteria.

    Whenever I install an OS, I spend quite a time removing security options, or adjusting them to my own preferences. Right or wrong, I have my own security arrangements and would prefer to continue with that free choice.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    25 Jan 2014 #152

    alphanumeric, post: 11017, member: 152 said:
    I've got mine the way I want it, but like you guys say its tedious. It shouldn't be that hard to arrange the Tiles. IMHO the auto shuffle is a PITA and should have an option to be turned off.
    The auto shuffle meaning where it decides to place icons in squares of four instead of four in a line (Win8.1 'small' live tile sizing)? That crap 'is' annoying.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    27 Jan 2014 #153

    The ability to take screen shots of the bios & the entire startup procedure.
    That would be nice.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    27 Jan 2014 #154

    David Bailey, post: 12726, member: 31 said:
    The ability to take screen shots of the bios & the entire startup procedure.
    That would be nice.
    Can't be done. The OS isn't loaded until the BIOS has gone through the POST. If the OS isn't loaded it can't take a screen shot. You can't add that functionality to Windows, it would have to written into the BIOS code.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    27 Jan 2014 #155

    alphanumeric, post: 12727, member: 152 said:
    Can't be done. The OS isn't loaded until the BIOS has gone through the POST. If the OS isn't loaded it can't take a screen shot. You can't add that functionality to Windows, it would have to written into the BIOS code.
    Microsoft is all powerful.
    I trust they could do this without breaking a sweat.
    I trust they could write it into the bios code.
    If they wanted too.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    27 Jan 2014 #156

    David Bailey, post: 12728, member: 31 said:
    Microsoft is all powerful.
    I trust they could do this without breaking a sweat.
    I trust they could write it into the bios code.
    If they wanted too.
    Ah, the BIOS is unique to each make and model of PC and controlled by the manufacturer. An incorrect BIOS flash could turn your PC into a paperweight so I don't see that happening. It may be doable with UEFI but it would be up to the manufacturer to add it to the BIOS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    27 Jan 2014 #157

    alphanumeric, post: 12729, member: 152 said:
    Ah, the BIOS is unique to each make and model of PC and controlled by the manufacturer. An incorrect BIOS flash could turn your PC into a paperweight so I don't see that happening. It may be doable with UEFI but it would be up to the manufacturer to add it to the BIOS.
    Microsoft could offer it as a patch or Windows Update.
    Or they could provide a data base containing all possible combinations of settings in nice clear pictures.
    For those of us who need such pictures to help people resolve their problems.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    27 Jan 2014 #158

    But, in my heart, I know this feature will probably never come to pass.
    It was just something on my "wish list".
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    27 Jan 2014 #159

    David Bailey, post: 12730, member: 31 said:
    Microsoft could offer it as a patch or Windows Update.
    Or they could provide a data base containing all possible combinations of settings in nice clear pictures.
    For those of us who need such pictures to help people resolve their problems.
    The BIOS code is proprietary and copyrighted. On top of that its customized to that particular model of PC. Every different model of PC from a manufacturer likely has a different custom BIOS and there are several different manufacturers of the BIOS. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243909 There are also multiple versions of BIOS for a particular motherboard. Microsoft would have to expend a lot of time and money to patch even a small percentage of the PC's on the planet. Assuming they get permission from the OEM manufacturer and from the original BIOS producer like Award etc. I can't ever see them even thinking about it. If they got it wrong and bricked a half million or more PC's they would be in deep do do for sure.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 728
    Host W8.0 x64 Guest W10 x86
       29 Jan 2014 #160

    David Bailey, post: 12726, member: 31 said:
    The ability to take screen shots of the bios & the entire startup procedure.
    That would be nice.
    Some other program would have to run this like a macro and store the results. Maybe some mini-OS that loads from USB. Maybe they'll be yet another Linux distro designed for it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Related Threads
window 10 issue in General Support
i dont know much about programing so please give answers like your giving to a caveman lol problem last night the laptop restarted and i could only acess the apps menu and couldnt swap back to the desktop window so i recovered back to build...
I have a question, Window 10 will be free or not for Insiders? The ppl who is in the Insider program will get a valid license for free or not?
Since 10122 I've noticed that they changed the window frames from using accent colours to just using white all the time. Personally I don't like this and I am wondering if there is a way to bring accent colouring back.
window 7 activation in Windows Updates and Activation
i recently removed my activation key permanently. i dont know how i did that. there is no option showing for product key in system properties. how do i re get that17624
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:30.
Find Us