Need to remove 100% of all data from HD then reinstall (FBI, CIA) :) Solved

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Compumind's Avatar
    Posts : 566
    Windows 7 Pro, 10 Pro, Various Linux Builds, Internet Security
       4 Weeks Ago #11

    100% Well...

    Some good suggestions here but read this, too:

    40 Free Data Destruction Software Tools (Jan. 2019)

    Have fun!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    4 Weeks Ago #12

    The issue at hand is that Tonys317 needs to give one of his HDD’s to his ex and he can't buy a new one.

    When you do a clean install on that HDD, are you doing that on the computer you own or the computer the ex owns?
    --- That's very important to know because if there are 2 different computers involved, that means the Windows 10 digital license cannot be used on 2 different computers at the same time that I know of.
    --- I don't mind being corrected on that but it should be known up front.
    Last edited by MeAndMyComputer; 4 Weeks Ago at 15:28.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    4 Weeks Ago #13

    MeAndMyComputer said: View Post
    The issue at hand is that Tonys317 needs to give one of his HDD’s to his ex and he can't buy a new one.

    When you do a clean install on that HDD, are you doing that on the computer you own or the computer the ex owns?
    --- That's very important to know because if there are 2 different computers involved, that means the Windows 10 digital license cannot be used on 2 different computers at the same time that I know of.
    --- I don't mind being corrected on that but it should be known up front.
    The OS will assume the digital license for the computer it boots on and won't keep the license for the old computer. If there is no digital license for the computer it is booted from, then it will just deactivate.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    4 Weeks Ago #14

    Tonys317 said: View Post
    Can anyone please give me instructions on the safest way to do this? I realize nothing is 100%. But what would you do? TY! Can I easily use my windows account then switch it over to my ex? When I go to their home?
    I would just use the diskpart clean all command...

    You can do it before installing Windows on the hard drive. Boot from the Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD. At the first screen for installation press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Then:

    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # <- replace # with the number of the drive that you want to erase
    clean all <-this will erase the drive and write 0's to all sectors. It will take a while!
    exit
    exit
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    4 Weeks Ago #15

    Navy is correct here, run diskpart clean all. Use an admin command prompt and make sure you have the correct disk selected by checking in Disk Management.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    4 Weeks Ago #16

    Thank you everyone! That was really cool! I'd be lost without this site and you people. TY! Such simple advice, I just don't always have that knowledge.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    4 Weeks Ago #17

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    I would just use the diskpart clean all command...

    You can do it before installing Windows on the hard drive. Boot from the Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD. At the first screen for installation press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Then:

    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # <- replace # with the number of the drive that you want to erase
    clean all <-this will erase the drive and write 0's to all sectors. It will take a while!
    exit
    exit
    It is a 1 terabyte HD. i5-4460 CPU (8gb ram) Should I plan for it to take all day? 5-8 hours? Or think it is quicker? Or is there no way for you to guess. I am going to do exactly what you said.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    4 Weeks Ago #18

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    I would just use the diskpart clean all command...

    You can do it before installing Windows on the hard drive. Boot from the Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD. At the first screen for installation press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt. Then:

    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk # <- replace # with the number of the drive that you want to erase
    clean all <-this will erase the drive and write 0's to all sectors. It will take a while!
    exit
    exit
    To keep this "legal" if I cared. When I get to my exes house. I should reformat it again with her boot disk? That way the license is in her name? Or just ignore it as no one will care? I am not terribly afraid of an ex STEALING my stuff. But I want to be safe and never sorry. Or SMART.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    4 Weeks Ago #19

    Tonys317 said: View Post
    To keep this "legal" if I cared. When I get to my exes house. I should reformat it again with her boot disk? That way the license is in her name? Or just ignore it as no one will care? I am not terribly afraid of an ex STEALING my stuff. But I want to be safe and never sorry. Or SMART.
    Install Windows 10 with a generic product key:
    Generic Product Keys to Install Windows 10 Editions | Tutorials

    You need to install the same version of Windows 10 as the target computer (your ex's) has/had, IE: Home or Pro. When the hard drive is installed and booted in the new computer, it will detect that it is a different computer and compute that computer's Hardware ID. That computer's unique Hardware ID will be sent to Microsoft activation servers (if the computer is connected to the internet). If a match is found for a previously activated Windows 10 activation (digital license) for that computer, then it will retrieve that digital license and activate Windows. If no match is found, then Windows 10 will not activate.

    Windows 10 activates based upon the unique Hardware ID of the computer it is booted on - not the original computer used to install Windows 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 23,853
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       4 Weeks Ago #20

    For disposal of drives a clean all is generally sufficient.
    However for department of defense regulatory requirements it is insufficient.
    Deeper cleaning is required.
    The clean all is one pass.
    Regulatory requirements may require multiple passes.
    Also requirements are different for HD versus SSD.
    What Is a DoD Multiple Pass Hard Drive Wipe? | CDR Global

    These are the commonly used guidelines:
    https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...00-88-rev1.pdf


    Some computer vendors (for example HP) provide firmware in the BIOS to secure erase or sanitize drives depending upon whether HD or SSD. The end user can choose the number of passes, etc.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
I'm attempting to make a clean win10 install on a drive that works but has a serious problem with the hard drive running continuously. I have a MBR setup. I'm closely following the Win 10 Clean Install tutorial, but not sure what to do after...
Have noticed a Windows 10 Live Tile for an Application called FitBit Coach. Does anyone know where this App is installed to? I'm trying to locate whatever folder it's from so I can manipulate it beyond the Right-Click menu made available when...
I had been using Hyper-V on Windows Pro to test routers, and had a quad nic installed while doing the testing. Now I completed that, and have removed the NIC to use in a server, but my Hyper-V is hosed. I uninstalled Hyper-V and then...
G'day folks, I could not boot into Windows 10 after an automatic update overnight. NOTHING I tried would give me keyboard or mouse interaction after the "cave and ocean" screen. I could use both if I booted to a USB drive but I tried everything to...
I bought Office 2016 months ago, but due to windows update failure I had to reinstall win10 thereby losing Office 2016. Can someone point me to a contact? I bought Office 2010 online from MS. TIA
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:23.
Find Us