Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 139
    Tried 10 Returned to 8.1
       03 Aug 2015 #21

    Mystere said: View Post
    Windows 10 isn't finished. That much is true. That's by design, it's intended to evolve over time. They always knew from day one that there would be a lot of functionality that would come later. However, it wasn't "rushed". It took 2 years, which is pretty average when you consider that Vista -> 7 was 2 years, 7 -> 8 was 2 years. 8 -> 8.1 was 2 years.. and 8.1 -> 10 is 2 years.

    In reality, 8 was vastly less finished than 10 is. 10 is another step on the migration path from Win32 to WinRT as the primary OS.
    My Desktop is 18 months old, my Laptop is 6 months old. I think there is a possibility they will be worn out by the time MS adds the functionality that should have been there in the first place. I am completely underwhelmed with W-10 and that is a shame because I was really looking forward to it's release. I am still trying to keep an open mind but it is getting more difficult by the day. Some claim W-10 is a better OS than W-8.1 but I don't see it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       03 Aug 2015 #22

    Jthagee said: View Post
    Your correct sir, keep your MS stock there will be plenty more to buy as it skyrockets to the bottom. While they are learning how to color and say their ABC's so many customers will be pissed they can never recover. MS is trying to sell the WRIGHT BROS bi plane for a space shuttle and your hollering just give 'em some time. Meanwhile we will be on Mars drinking mint juleps and MS will be touting hey we have just eliminated a wing... yea just give some time to pin the tail on the donkey.
    People have been predicting that for the last decade, and it hasn't happened yet. MS stock keeps going up because MS profits keep going up. That has not stopped, nor will Windows 10, even if it's a total market failure stop it, because MS doesn't make much of it's money on consumer OS's anymore.

    I mean, come on.. How much innovation have you seen from MacOS X in the last 5 or 6 years? ChromeOS is even more basic and scaled back than 10 is. So, which OS exactly are you going to be using to take you to Mars? Linux? Don't make me laugh. If Linux developers wouldn't stop reinventing everything they might get somewhere.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 50
    Windows 10 Pro
       03 Aug 2015 #23

    As someone who has used computers since before *windows* was invented, I find threads like this amusing.

    You kids won't remember the stink when they went from XP to Vista/Win7. Now I read Win7 is the best thing sinvce the electron was invented.

    I remember when Win98 was the neatest thing since sliced bread and that new XP junk was the death of computing.

    I remember when Win3 was the greatest thing since salted potato chips and that unwieldy resource hog, Win 98 was going to drive us to Communism.

    I remember when MS-DOS ruled the world and that newfangled Windows thing was just so idjits too stupid to understand Computers could figure out how to do more than turn a computer on.

    Yep. Been there, done that. SEVERAL TIMES.

    Bottom line? It's just an operating system. No better or no worse than any other .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    03 Aug 2015 #24

    Mystere said: View Post
    People have been predicting that for the last decade, and it hasn't happened yet. MS stock keeps going up because MS profits keep going up. That has not stopped, nor will Windows 10, even if it's a total market failure stop it, because MS doesn't make much of it's money on consumer OS's anymore.

    I mean, come on.. How much innovation have you seen from MacOS X in the last 5 or 6 years? ChromeOS is even more basic and scaled back than 10 is. So, which OS exactly are you going to be using to take you to Mars? Linux? Don't make me laugh. If Linux developers wouldn't stop reinventing everything they might get somewhere.
    Ok, i concede- you got me there. I couldn't program my way out of a paper bag. I can see the potential of OS. I guess i am so disappointed in Windows [i have been there every step of the way since 98] i feel progress is going backwards. I feel they started 10 steps back with win 10 and now they want us to wait while they catch up where they should have begun. I guess i'm more dissapointed with the brains our colleges are turning out. It's like our youth has not progressed in the last ten years. Is mediocrity the now accepted norm?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 50
    Windows 10 Pro
       03 Aug 2015 #25

    Jthagee said: View Post
    Ok, i concede- you got me there. I couldn't program my way out of a paper bag. I can see the potential of OS. I guess i am so disappointed in Windows [i have been there every step of the way since 98] i feel progress is going backwards. I feel they started 10 steps back with win 10 and now they want us to wait while they catch up where they should have begun. I guess i'm more dissapointed with the brains our colleges are turning out. It's like our youth has not progressed in the last ten years. Is mediocrity the now accepted norm?
    Maybe you should turn off the talk radio and think for yourself. Our colleges are STILL the finest in the world and as such students from all over the world vie for positions.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,752
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       03 Aug 2015 #26

    Windows10Freak said: View Post
    So this is a Rant?
    Looks like a bunch of 'em.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    03 Aug 2015 #27

    DeathStalker said: View Post
    As someone who has used computers since before *windows* was invented, I find threads like this amusing.

    You kids won't remember the stink when they went from XP to Vista/Win7. Now I read Win7 is the best thing sinvce the electron was invented.

    I remember when Win98 was the neatest thing since sliced bread and that new XP junk was the death of computing.

    I remember when Win3 was the greatest thing since salted potato chips and that unwieldy resource hog, Win 98 was going to drive us to Communism.

    I remember when MS-DOS ruled the world and that newfangled Windows thing was just so idjits too stupid to understand Computers could figure out how to do more than turn a computer on.

    Yep. Been there, done that. SEVERAL TIMES.

    Bottom line? It's just an operating system. No better or no worse than any other .
    With me it's not so much as an OS.. It's the way it is packaged as something new- who are they trying to fool?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,752
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       03 Aug 2015 #28

    Ztruker said: View Post
    Excellent, well thought out and structured post. I don't agree with a lot of it but I do agree with some.
    Nothing wrong with seeing someones negative view of a product. If nothing else, it makes me think a bit when I'm doing things.

    I do totally agree with the Settings/Control Panel thoughts. I don't like Settings and find them much less useful than Control Panel was.

    I'm sure this will turn into a love/hate thread in a hurry.
    You're probably right, Trucker. However, I didn't sign on to read a book onscreen! I'll have to print the volume and read it later.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9.    03 Aug 2015 #29

    DeathStalker said: View Post
    Maybe you should turn off the talk radio and think for yourself. Our colleges are STILL the finest in the world and as such students from all over the world vie for positions.
    Your correct- the rest of the world doesn't set a very high bar- a donkey makes any horse look fast.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,752
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       03 Aug 2015 #30

    ignatzatsonic said: View Post
    Mystere:

    How many seconds do you get on a stopwatch if you poke the "restart" button and go through the shutdown and restart process until the last icon is fully loaded on the restarted desktop?

    I'm just trying to get an idea of a comparison to Win 7 on the same system, when using an SSD.
    I could never get Windows 7 to boot in under a minute, and most of the time it took 90 seconds to boot according to how many programs you have in the Start Menu. Windows 10 boots in around 20 seconds from the time I press the power button. And that's with my dual boot system: within 5 seconds I'm ready to select Windows 10 on Volume 4 or Windows 10 on Volume 6. Once I click the correct OS, another 15 seconds sees me clicking on Outlook to get my email.

    Oh, and I don't have an SSD drive in this machine; just a plain old hard drive.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums