Windows 10: Taskbar/Start button not working!
No. But if you look at the powershell thinghy posted above, it warns about having windows firewall service on for it to work. I don't think is that one, but one of it's dependencies.
Forget everything else... Do this.
Okay I have tried running commands in powershell , only works until the next reboot.
Mucked around in the registry trying to manually set permissions, same scenario.
Your user profile works in Safe Mode, but what's the point?
The main issue is in regards to permissions tied directly to the user profile all files and processes
associated thereto. Instead of trying to manually go through everything and potentially add
to an already frustrating situation run software that can actually address these issues.
Tweaking.com - Windows Repair
Tried Windows-repair-aio portable , free version and it worked!
Rebooted several times and yet cortana and start menu all functioning the way it should.
I really suggest buying this , just because they actually made something that works
Ya know, once again this sounds like aftermath of the Horrid KB3081444 update, which did a lot of the same things on my system, mostly the flickering and flashing. Check your updates, remove 1444 and any other update numbered from 1441 to 1455
That's exactly what worked for me
I did the following and created an account "admin123" it now works. My questions are:
How do I migrate my current info to the new account?
How do I change the name of the new account after I created it, or do I have to create another new one? What if I want to use the name of my current account?
How do I delete user accounts?
Whatever it is that makes this work when creating a new account - isn't there an easy way to edit the current account to fix this, aside from all of the other suggestions in this thread, none of which worked for me?
- Press [Ctrl]+[Shift]+[Escape] to start Task Manager.
- Click File -> Run new task.
- Type "cmd" into the Run dialog, tick Create this task with administrative privileges and click [OK].
- A command prompt window should open.
- Type/copy the following text and press [Enter]: net user Admin123 MyPassword /add
- Type/copy the following text and press [Enter]: net localgroup Administrators Admin123 /add
- Log off and login to the new Admin123 account. If it works correctly, you can migrate your data to the new user account. You are welcome to replace "Admin123" with your username of choice (just enclose it in quotes if it has a space, and be sure to use the same name in both commands). The login password will be "MyPassword". You can easily change it later.
- Log off
- Log on on new account
- done *
I'm really hoping someone can help me out. No start button, no volume control, the message box next to the volume control not working, MS Edge no go... I have tried
1. The powershell "fix" as admin
2. The batch file (says access denied)
3. The SFC /scannow command
4. Create a new user account - It won't let me (says it can't sign into MS Family right now)
5. Sacrificed a chicken (OK, it was a chicken nugget)
6. Uninstalled updates so the "newest" is KB3081452
7. Switched to tablet mode & back
When I try to click the start button, it turns from white to blue and nothing happens. I'm about to pull what's left of my hair out, any other ideas/fixes?
Make sure the firewall service is running. Mine was disabled and that was doing it.
Did that, still no go. I was able to create a new account as listed above, but still no go. I finally did a system restore back to Sept. 5 and that did the trick, at the expense of Steam & Adobe Creative Cloud needing to be redone. Now I'm worried about allowing MS to update Windows 10. I hope they get their ____ together.
Good Idea, and I have been rebooting about every 3-4 days - mostly just to give it a chance to go check out everything and go start again. all is fine..
I want jump lists on both taskbar and Start button, they are only showing on Start button. I have checked the registry key that controls this attribute and the value is "1" so both should show. The "Show recently opened items... " switch in...
I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 Home (64bit) from Windows 7 Home (64bit). I am having problems that I cannot find a fix to in the common faults section. As in the title, my start button is not working. The action center, settings and...
Hello everyone, I need your help,
I’m talking about the right edge of the taskbar, separated next to the time by a vertical line (in red in the image):
It seems to be a desktop button, because clicking on it, hides all the open...
I have 2 pcs with Windows 10. My Acer laptop is working fine at build 10130 but my custom desktop is causing problems. First the Start button and "Ask me anything" do not work. Clicking on the Start button does nothing, pressing the Start button on...
Start button not working is a known problem and is supposed to be fixed by KB3034229. That update does not show in Windows Update. I also tried a direct download from