Windows 10: Taskbar/Start button not working!

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1.    24 Aug 2015 #11

    flhthemi said: View Post
    Open powershell with admin privileges ....
    A bit tricky without a Start Button?

    My workaround was to copy the shortcut to PS on another PC and drop it onto the Desktop of the stricken PC. The original PS shortcut lives in C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows PowerShell\

    I also couldn't run Edge to get the command from the post by flhthemi, so I made a text document from the other PC containing:

    Code:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    I ran the PowerShell shortcut as Administrator and pasted the above. Having rebooted, I can confirm that it also worked for me.

    I've attached the files, not sure if it will work.
    Taskbar/Start button not working! Attached Files
    Last edited by nigelmercier; 24 Aug 2015 at 05:29.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 & Apple El Capitan
       27 Aug 2015 #12

    Todays 8/27/2015 Windows Update, = Access is denied, disables the posted powershell patch work around:

    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

    8/27 updates are:
    KB3081449
    KB3081448
    KB3081452 - Will not let you Uninstall
    With no Menu, you will find this at Control Panel>Programs>Programs and Features>Installed Updates.
    Search the list by the date you installed.

    Uninstalling KB3081449 re-enables the patch to fix the Start Menu.
    Guessed it without, touching KB308148
    After Uninstall, Patch, checking for updates does not ask for 1449, says Your device is up to date.
    You will also notice either 1448 or 1452 change the chime audio sound.

    HP has not released Windows 10 Drivers. 8.1 & 8, will not install.
    Calls to HP, are useless.
    Without Windows 10 Drivers, plan on continued performance weakness, and coming here often to this Forum.
    Here is a complete list of Tutorials:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1977-windows-10-tutorial-index.html
    Last edited by chelso; 27 Aug 2015 at 16:44.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    28 Aug 2015 #13

    Thank you. Worked perfectly. Saving it so when others call me, thier unofficial IT dept.
    chelso said: View Post
    Todays 8/27/2015 Windows Update, = Access is denied, disables the posted powershell patch work around:

    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

    8/27 updates are:
    KB3081449
    KB3081448
    KB3081452 - Will not let you Uninstall
    With no Menu, you will find this at Control Panel>Programs>Programs and Features>Installed Updates.
    Search the list by the date you installed.

    Uninstalling KB3081449 re-enables the patch to fix the Start Menu.
    Guessed it without, touching KB308148
    After Uninstall, Patch, checking for updates does not ask for 1449, says Your device is up to date.
    You will also notice either 1448 or 1452 change the chime audio sound.

    HP has not released Windows 10 Drivers. 8.1 & 8, will not install.
    Calls to HP, are useless.
    Without Windows 10 Drivers, plan on continued performance weakness, and coming here often to this Forum.
    Here is a complete list of Tutorials:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1977-windows-10-tutorial-index.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    29 Aug 2015 #14

    nigelmercier said: View Post
    A bit tricky without a Start Button?

    My workaround was to copy the shortcut to PS on another PC and drop it onto the Desktop of the stricken PC. The original PS shortcut lives in C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows PowerShell\

    I also couldn't run Edge to get the command from the post by flhthemi, so I made a text document from the other PC containing:

    Code:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    I ran the PowerShell shortcut as Administrator and pasted the above. Having rebooted, I can confirm that it also worked for me.

    I've attached the files, not sure if it will work.
    Question: It says no access. what to do?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    29 Aug 2015 #15

    chelso said: View Post
    Todays 8/27/2015 Windows Update, = Access is denied, disables the posted powershell patch work around:

    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

    8/27 updates are:
    KB3081449
    KB3081448
    KB3081452 - Will not let you Uninstall
    With no Menu, you will find this at Control Panel>Programs>Programs and Features>Installed Updates.
    Search the list by the date you installed.

    Uninstalling KB3081449 re-enables the patch to fix the Start Menu.
    Guessed it without, touching KB308148
    After Uninstall, Patch, checking for updates does not ask for 1449, says Your device is up to date.
    You will also notice either 1448 or 1452 change the chime audio sound.

    HP has not released Windows 10 Drivers. 8.1 & 8, will not install.
    Calls to HP, are useless.
    Without Windows 10 Drivers, plan on continued performance weakness, and coming here often to this Forum.
    Here is a complete list of Tutorials:
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1977-windows-10-tutorial-index.html
    It says no access what to do?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1
    Windows 10 Home
       03 Sep 2015 #16

    Running Powershell as admin


    Teysz said: View Post
    I've been trying to do some of the suggested solutions on this page, but I have some additional problems which prevent me from doing so. E.g. I cannot start Powershell as an admin, not even with the solution suggested in the reply before me, because when I replaced CMD with Powershell in the right-click start "menu", it simply won't start and neither can I right click on anything in a folder or the taskbar itself with the exception of right-clicking on the start icon or right-clicking tray-icons like Dropbox. Also the start menu won't appear, neither does the search option, even Edge won't start (I'm using Chrome anyways). Some times the task bar freezes, but tray-icons like Dropbox will still show that it's updating something when it is updating something and remain normal when it's doing nothing. I can right-click the background, but neither the screen settings and the costumization will open. I can however still use Winkey+R and open stuff from there. But the main problem is, I cannot open anything as an admin, because right-clicking does not work.
    To get around having to right click to run powershell as an admin...have you tried getting to powershell via the Task Manager? Open Task Manager via Ctl-Alt-Delete, then click on More details (if needed). From the File Menu, select Run new task. You can then click on the box that says "create this task with admin privileges", type powershell in the dialog box and enter. That eliminates the need to right click to run as an admin.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    03 Sep 2015 #17

    AveYo said: View Post
    I have experienced this after messing with Windows services and packages via dism.
    Undoing changes did bring the functionality back.

    I have attached a batch file to reset all services (and optionally device drivers) to defaults.
    Coupled with the solution posted above by flhthemi, should fix most cases.
    Hi. I tried this and everything was denied. Did not reboot to try it yet, but is this normal?

    I already did all the other suggested fixes - ran disc services, powershell and command promp in admin mode and ran the suggested fixes, but nothing works for me. I'll re-boot and try again, then read the rest of this thread.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    03 Sep 2015 #18

    Did not work. Also when I have a program open, right licking on icon in task bar does not do anything. If I right click on empty area of task bar I have options.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    08 Sep 2015 #19

    AveYo said: View Post
    I have experienced this after messing with Windows services and packages via dism.
    Undoing changes did bring the functionality back.

    I have attached a batch file to reset all services (and optionally device drivers) to defaults.
    Coupled with the solution posted above by flhthemi, should fix most cases.
    Thanks Aveyo!
    That fix worked for me.
    Would like to know what was causing it. Did you spend anytime figuring out what service it was?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    09 Sep 2015 #20

    AlexB95 said: View Post
    I did the Command Prompt thing and it said "Corrupted files found but couldn't be fixed"
    Try this - it does work ( for me, at least) !

    FIX - Windows 10 Taskbar Not Functioning - Microsoft Community
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Related Threads
I want jump lists on both taskbar and Start button, they are only showing on Start button. I have checked the registry key that controls this attribute and the value is "1" so both should show. The "Show recently opened items... " switch in...
Hi, I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 Home (64bit) from Windows 7 Home (64bit). I am having problems that I cannot find a fix to in the common faults section. As in the title, my start button is not working. The action center, settings and...
Hello everyone, I need your help, I’m talking about the right edge of the taskbar, separated next to the time by a vertical line (in red in the image): 27079 It seems to be a desktop button, because clicking on it, hides all the open...
Solved Start button not working, not getting updates in Windows Updates and Activation
I have 2 pcs with Windows 10. My Acer laptop is working fine at build 10130 but my custom desktop is causing problems. First the Start button and "Ask me anything" do not work. Clicking on the Start button does nothing, pressing the Start button on...
Start button not working is a known problem and is supposed to be fixed by KB3034229. That update does not show in Windows Update. I also tried a direct download from ...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums