Windows 10: Taskbar/Start button not working!

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
  1.    18 Feb 2016 #131

    This issue was causing random sluggishness in general which had cleared up as soon as I renamed the Databases directory.

    I found some additional info which I had edited in to my previous post that suggested deleting everything except the vedatamodel.edb file from the Database folder would resolve this issue. I have not tried this method though, as I had already renamed the folder which caused it to be re-created, so there wasn't much point.

    This might be worth a shot if you haven't tried anything relating to that location yet.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 11,233
    W10Prox64
       18 Feb 2016 #132

    Melikoth said: View Post
    This issue was causing random sluggishness in general which had cleared up as soon as I renamed the Databases directory.

    I found some additional info which I had edited in to my previous post that suggested deleting everything except the vedatamodel.edb file from the Database folder would resolve this issue. I have not tried this method though, as I had already renamed the folder which caused it to be re-created, so there wasn't much point.

    This might be worth a shot if you haven't tried anything relating to that location yet.
    Thanks. I will keep it in mind, once I get through this clean-boot process....
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    18 Feb 2016 #133

    simrick said: View Post
    Yes, but I have 2 systems with this problem, both with Fast Startup turned off.
    All I can say is it is working for me so far. Making a new user solved the problem for a couple of days, resetting the system worked for about a week. Nothing else I tried made any difference at all. Killing the svchost process has been my fastest method to get the system working properly again, but on its own it hasn't prevented the problem from reoccurring.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    18 Feb 2016 #134

    Mines getting worse, I just rebooted and now the whole taskbar is dead, I could right click on the start before, now I can't right or left click or do anything. I'm reluctant to try any scripts or anything, I can't even find a reliable solution after reading through pages and pages of similar threads , can someone provide a link to a post that is the best solution? I really can't spend another week on Win10 reinstalling everything. I'm self employed and that would probably be the end of my business after all the time I've wasted on Win10 so far.
    This is really bad, all my problems with win10 just seem to be getting worse.
    I can't believe they just expect us all to put up with it. If they are working on fixing this then I'd like to know BEFORE I start messing with things making everything worse.
    I still have an XP machine but after all this work I've put into win10 on two machines I'm reluctant to just accept defeat and go back to such old technology. I was happy that I'd finally moved up in the world, I refused to try Vista after all the problems, I didn't like 8 at all after seeing it on my partners laptop, I stuck with XP right to the end of it's life but became nervous when it stopped being supported so thought I'd take the plunge. Now I really wish I hadn't. Should I just go back to using XP? It will probably take me a day or two to get all my software reinstalled on win10 and it could be a waste of time if it doesn't even fix it. What can we do? This must be wasting thousands of productive hours all over the world! I can't afford this, getting desperate here.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    19 Feb 2016 #135

    Start menu or other items not working


    mickeddie said: View Post
    Did not work. Also when I have a program open, right licking on icon in task bar does not do anything. If I right click on empty area of task bar I have options.
    I have come across another fix that works for me.

    Open Task Manger, scroll all way down to bottom of Processes tab
    There is a folder there listed as Windows Explorer
    Right click on it and click on "Restart"
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    19 Feb 2016 #136

    Has anyone else tried unchecking the internet explorer 11 checkbox?
    Worked for me.
    Control Panel, Programs, Turn Windows Tasks on or off
    Ignore the warning that says it may cause things not to work, reboot when it prompts you, this will do some kind of update then upon reboot it's all fixed!

    Worth a try, worked for me and is much easier than other methods I read.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 11,233
    W10Prox64
       19 Feb 2016 #137

    ausworkshop said: View Post
    Has anyone else tried unchecking the internet explorer 11 checkbox?
    Worked for me.
    Control Panel, Programs, Turn Windows Tasks on or off
    Ignore the warning that says it may cause things not to work, reboot when it prompts you, this will do some kind of update then upon reboot it's all fixed!

    Worth a try, worked for me and is much easier than other methods I read.
    So, in the Windows Features, you turned off Internet Explorer? Have you checked to make sure you still can get Windows Updates? Because I know, in past OSs, IE was an integral part of WU; not sure how much of a role it plays in W10 yet.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    19 Feb 2016 #138

    Win10 uses Edge. Win update seems to still be working. When you do it it prompts a reboot. While it's shutting down it does updates no problem without errors so I assume it's all good. Worth a try. I don't see why it would need to be checked when it's no longer used anyway. Perhaps it's a setting left that way in case you want to roll back to win7. I'm not sure how it all relates to the new task bar but I know it worked for me. Anyone else found it worked for them?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 11,233
    W10Prox64
       19 Feb 2016 #139

    ausworkshop said: View Post
    ....Win update seems to still be working. When you do it it prompts a reboot. While it's shutting down it does updates no problem without errors so I assume it's all good....
    That's good to know. I may try it on one of the systems I have with this problem, when I can log back into it (sometime next week).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    20 Feb 2016 #140

    ausworkshop said: View Post
    Has anyone else tried unchecking the internet explorer 11 checkbox?
    Worked for me.
    Control Panel, Programs, Turn Windows Tasks on or off
    Ignore the warning that says it may cause things not to work, reboot when it prompts you, this will do some kind of update then upon reboot it's all fixed!

    Worth a try, worked for me and is much easier than other methods I read.
    Awesome!
    Worked for me!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Start button not working is a known problem and is supposed to be fixed by KB3034229. That update does not show in Windows Update. I also tried a direct download from ...
I want jump lists on both taskbar and Start button, they are only showing on Start button. I have checked the registry key that controls this attribute and the value is "1" so both should show. The "Show recently opened items... " switch in...
Hi, I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 Home (64bit) from Windows 7 Home (64bit). I am having problems that I cannot find a fix to in the common faults section. As in the title, my start button is not working. The action center, settings and...
Hello everyone, I need your help, I’m talking about the right edge of the taskbar, separated next to the time by a vertical line (in red in the image): 27079 It seems to be a desktop button, because clicking on it, hides all the open...
Solved Start button not working, not getting updates in Windows Updates and Activation
I have 2 pcs with Windows 10. My Acer laptop is working fine at build 10130 but my custom desktop is causing problems. First the Start button and "Ask me anything" do not work. Clicking on the Start button does nothing, pressing the Start button on...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:19.
Find Us