Win10 keeps compressing C drive files (new and old). Cannot stop it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,763
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #21

    esmorax said:
    In addition, the free space on my C drive is fluctuating constantly. At the time of writing this post, I only had 3 gb left, yet barely 10 minutes later it has turned into 15 gb. I cannot help but think Windows is doing all kinds of stuff but it ain't working out yet.

    There is one known case where Windows will compress your User folders. That is when windows update is preparing to receive a Features Update. If you are short on space your User folder may be compressed, then uncompressed after the update has installed successfully. This can happen automatically and is by design. You free space fluctuating suggests windows update may be downloading in the background, then when space is short more user folders get compressed.


    To help free up disk space, this update may compress files in your user profile directory so that Windows Update can install important updates...

    ...After you install the update, your files are restored to their original state, and the blue arrows disappear from the file icons in File Explorer. At any point during the update process, you should be able to access your files.
    KB4023057 Update to Windows 10 for update reliability - November 15 - Windows 10 Forums


    What do you see in Settings > Update & Security > Windows update? Any pending updates?
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 21
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #22

    Bree said:
    There is one known case where Windows will compress your User folders. That is when windows update is preparing to receive a Features Update. If you are short on space your User folder may be compressed, then uncompressed after the update has installed successfully. This can happen automatically and is by design. You free space fluctuating suggests windows update may be downloading in the background, then when space is short more user folders get compressed.


    KB4023057 Update to Windows 10 for update reliability - November 15 - Windows 10 Forums


    What do you see in Settings > Update & Security > Windows update? Any pending updates?
    I see, however, could that behaviour also explain why some images are 10gb and others aren't? (als the accessibility problems of these 10 gb images)

    Currently, there are no pending updates being shown. I have attached a screenshot of the most recent updates. Maybe one of these could also have affected the files in some way? Is there a way of aiding the update so that (hopefully) the compression issue is resolved? (I tried scanning for new updates but to no avail)

    Overview of updatesWin10 keeps compressing C drive files (new and old). Cannot stop it.-windows-update-status.png

    Update history
    Win10 keeps compressing C drive files (new and old). Cannot stop it.-last-windows-update-history.png
      My Computer

  3. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,763
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #23

    esmorax said:
    I see, however, could that behaviour also explain why some images are 10gb and others aren't? (als the accessibility problems of these 10 gb images)
    No, but it was one possibility that needed to be looked at. As you have no pending updates (in particular, no Features Updates pending) then we have eliminated this as a possible explanation.
      My Computers

  4. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,195
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #24

    Maybe a Treesize screenshot would pop up something obvious.

    TreeSize Free - Quickly Scan Directory Sizes and Find Space Hogs
      My Computers

  5. EdTittel's Avatar
    Posts : 4,114
    Windows 10
       #25

    What I was thinking (use a disk layout mapper) too, @f14tomcat, except I was thinking WinDirStat. TreeSize is more detailed about system files and the System Volume Information stuff than WinDirStat. As usual, your suggestion is thus probably also better than mine. Happy holidays to you, sir!
    --Ed--
      My Computers

  6. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,195
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #26

    EdTittel said:
    What I was thinking (use a disk layout mapper) too, @f14tomcat, except I was thinking WinDirStat. TreeSize is more detailed about system files and the System Volume Information stuff than WinDirStat. As usual, your suggestion is thus probably also better than mine. Happy holidays to you, sir!
    --Ed--
    Same to you, Ed!
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 21
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #27

    f14tomcat said:
    Maybe a Treesize screenshot would pop up something obvious.

    TreeSize Free - Quickly Scan Directory Sizes and Find Space Hogs
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll report back when I've completed it later today.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 21
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #28

    f14tomcat said:
    Same to you, Ed!
    My TreeSize output:

    Win10 keeps compressing C drive files (new and old). Cannot stop it.-treesize-overview.png

    I've located the folder with the 10 gb image files. The fact that the folder size is several times the total memory storage capacity of y laptop is just plain confusing:

    Win10 keeps compressing C drive files (new and old). Cannot stop it.-treesize-image-folder-size.png

    I'm starting to think that these image files are somehow corrupted...
      My Computer

  9. lx07's Avatar
    Posts : 5,479
    2004
       #29

    esmorax said:
    I'm starting to think that these image files are somehow corrupted...
    They are.

    Try Treesize again and right click on the title bar to show compression ratio and size on disk.

    What you must understand is jpg are already compressed and neither NTFS compression (or compactos which uses xpress4k) will compress them further. The compactos is irrelevant in any case as it only compresses Windows directories.

    Even if it was possible to compress an already compressed photo from 10GB to 4KB (when 4KB is the minimum size of one sector on disk) you would have to think it is too convenient.

    I would delete the lot and restore them from your backup. If you don't have a backup then I'm 100% sure you've lost them as neither 4KB or 10GB are true.
      My Computer

  10. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,195
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #30

    Agree on the corruption. 27 Terabytes would be a Super-Sized drive! NTFS is reporting best it can, but those JPGs are sick.

    If you decide to delete them as lx07 has rightly suggested, hold the shift key down while you are clicking delete in order to permanently delete them......to avoid any chance of it attempting to send them to the Recycle Bin and possibly causing more corruption.
      My Computers


 
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:12.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums