Why are my desktop folders on my start menu?


  1. Posts : 306
    Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.1586
       #1

    Why are my desktop folders on my start menu?


    I was looking around tonight at my windows 10 settings and I clicked on the start menu ( which I use StarDock to make Win 10 start menu look like win 7 start menu ) and there are desktop folder on my start menu. I checked settings to see what should be on my start menu and personal folders is not selected. Why are they showing up on my start menu?

    The folders on my start menu with red arrows are desktop folders
    Why are my desktop folders on my start menu?-start.jpg

    Here are my settings

    Why are my desktop folders on my start menu?-start2.jpg
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 34,875
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #2

    Presumably you must have included them or shortcuts to them in the folders comprising the start menu.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 306
    Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.1586
    Thread Starter
       #3

    dalchina said:
    Presumably you must have included them or shortcuts to them in the folders comprising the start menu.
    nope, I didn't do a thing, just by adding the folder shortcuts to my desktop they are now on my start menu. That is what surprises me
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 34,875
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #4

    One thought- if you have a shortcut to your Desktop about 3 levels deep in the appropriate folder representing the start menu, you will see the contents of that folder in the Win 10 start menu, but not the Desktop folder (or shortcut to it) itself.

    Best to examine the contents of the folders.
    C:\Users\.......\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 1,484
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #5

    Hi Everyone, I do not use Stardock, but I was wondering if it is the settings in Stardock causing it.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 17,831
    Windows 10
       #6

    Eaglepi said:
    nope, I didn't do a thing, just by adding the folder shortcuts to my desktop they are now on my start menu. That is what surprises me
    Open Start10 Settings uncheck the highlighted option...

    Why are my desktop folders on my start menu?-001372.png
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 306
    Windows 10 Pro version 21H1 build 19043.1586
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Edwin said:
    Open Start10 Settings uncheck the highlighted option...

    Why are my desktop folders on my start menu?-001372.png
    Thanks Edwin,

    I forgot all about the settings for Start10.........lol I installed it the same day I installed win 10 and just forgot that the start had settings.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 8,619
    Mac OS Catalina
       #8

    ethel said:
    Hi Everyone, I do not use Stardock, but I was wondering if it is the settings in Stardock causing it.
    Yes it is.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:12.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums