YouTube crashing my computer


  1. Posts : 12
    Windows 10
       #1

    YouTube crashing my computer


    I think the major culprit of my issues lately has been YouTube and why my computer freezes and hangs after I go on YouTube, it also produces beeping from the optical drive. And before you ask: no, nothing's wrong with my hard drive or devices. RAM is healthy as is my CPU and GPU but YouTube still crashes my computer and causes it to hang quieting everything after it freezes/hangs. Mouse and keyboard are stuck and I have to force-restart. I've tried to update drivers (and I did) but I still get the freeze (last night, though, I did play some YouTube videos but not a lot but a good portion until late at night when the freeze/hang/beep happened again). I wonder what it could be. Can't be because I deleted Flash, could it? YouTube uses HTML5 for their videos and before November 18, it was working fine.
      My Computer

  2. Steve C's Avatar
    Posts : 6,298
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #2

    BadMan125 said:
    I think the major culprit of my issues lately has been YouTube and why my computer freezes and hangs after I go on YouTube, it also produces beeping from the optical drive. And before you ask: no, nothing's wrong with my hard drive or devices. RAM is healthy as is my CPU and GPU but YouTube still crashes my computer and causes it to hang quieting everything after it freezes/hangs. Mouse and keyboard are stuck and I have to force-restart. I've tried to update drivers (and I did) but I still get the freeze (last night, though, I did play some YouTube videos but not a lot but a good portion until late at night when the freeze/hang/beep happened again). I wonder what it could be. Can't be because I deleted Flash, could it? YouTube uses HTML5 for their videos and before November 18, it was working fine.
    Try disabling hardware acceleration in your browser. The problem is your GPU or driver if disabling it works.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Thing is every other video site works and YouTube videos are played if you put it in another site. I already disabled hardware acceleration in both Chrome (that one was before this mishap recently) and Firefox (a few hours ago). I also disabled background apps. I looked at a video on my iPad that mentioned background apps could also be a hindrance. I think my GPU's alright... I'll check though. Thanks!
      My Computer

  4. Steve C's Avatar
    Posts : 6,298
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #4

    BadMan125 said:
    Thing is every other video site works and YouTube videos are played if you put it in another site. I already disabled hardware acceleration in both Chrome (that one was before this mishap recently) and Firefox (a few hours ago). I also disabled background apps. I looked at a video on my iPad that mentioned background apps could also be a hindrance. I think my GPU's alright... I'll check though. Thanks!
    If your GPU plays 3D games OK then there can't be a problem with it.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Steve C said:
    If your GPU plays 3D games OK then there can't be a problem with it.
    I just did a Diagnostics on it and they said the GPU was okay so yeah it might've been all for nothing but a few days ago, I was running into all sorts of problems. I guess it had started because I had played a YouTube video and went to sleep for what seemed like hours, when I woke up, my computer had locked and I had to restart EVERYTHING. This was last Monday, I think. It's been a mess since but it seems whatever was troubling my computer has finally fixed itself. I still had issues with YouTube which is why I made this video but it seems like the site was being funky because when I posted a video from there on another site, it played all the way through. Weird (it was also causing the beeps).
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    UPDATE: Okay, I just played a YouTube video on Chrome just now and it's playing uninterrupted. I'm still gonna test it but I hope that's the end of locking. It's playing throughout. Thanks again, Steve.
      My Computer

  7. Steve C's Avatar
    Posts : 6,298
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
       #7

    Check / replace the power cables between your PSU and the GPU - this once gave me problems. Also check the GPU is plugged in securely.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 12
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Steve C said:
    Check / replace the power cables between your PSU and the GPU - this once gave me problems. Also check the GPU is plugged in securely.
    Hmm, yeah that may be the issue. Like I said, as long as I play YT videos elsewhere and not mess with the CD driver (which beeps and forces the computer to lock), my computer otherwise is OK.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums