Retrieving old taskbar on new PC


  1. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 (64bit)
       #1

    Retrieving old taskbar on new PC


    Hello W10 Forum,

    If I were to buy a new PC with Windows 10, could I access my old taskbar on my previous PC? (assuming old PC has malfunctioned and won't boot up)

    Thank you.
      My Computer

  2. Samuria's Avatar
    Posts : 6,028
    windows 10
       #2

    If you sign in with a MS account and had sync running many thing will show on the new pc if you login with the same account. Is it the hard drive thats died on the old one?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 (64bit)
    Thread Starter
       #3

    I don't think so. There was a flashing desktop screen and no commands were functional. It's been retired anyway, and I'm thinking down the road in case of another malfunction.

    I just copied all my taskbar pins to the "favorite" menu. I'm thinking I might be able to "import" these in case of another PC crash.

    I backed up my desktop files with OneDrive, but it added /OneDrive path to all my files, and it can't seem to be undone.

    Thanks for the response.
      My Computer

  4. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,489
    Windows 10 Pro
       #4

    If the hard drive is still good, take it out of the old computer and add it to the new computer.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 (64bit)
    Thread Starter
       #5

    NavyLCDR said:
    If the hard drive is still good, take it out of the old computer and add it to the new computer.
    Thanks for that good suggestion. I'm up and running on my new PC, though; and I think I'll just let the old PC "rest in peace".
      My Computer

  6. TairikuOkami's Avatar
    Posts : 4,644
    Windows Home Dev 21H1 x64
       #6

    RandyVat14 said:
    I just copied all my taskbar pins to the "favorite" menu. I'm thinking I might be able to "import" these in case of another PC crash.
    For the record, this icons location and registry entry are enough to backup taskbar icons.
    Code:
    %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 9
    Windows 10 (64bit)
    Thread Starter
       #7

    TairikuOkami said:
    For the record, this icons location and registry entry are enough to backup taskbar icons.
    Code:
    %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband
    Excellent. Thank you.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums