Windows 10 Boot Menu Problem (Have to load OS manually every time)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 x64
       #1

    Windows 10 Boot Menu Problem (Have to load OS manually every time)


    Hello Friends,

    I am facing Windows 10 Boot Menu Problem in my Laptop. I have to manually enter F9 every time I power-on my system to load Windows 10 OS. Otherwise, it shows a different screen with PXE error. I am sharing the below screenshots which explains the problem clearly.

    1. When I switch-on my system it shows this screen
    https://ibb.co/df1Duf

    2. In the above window I have to press F9 which opens up Boot Options Menu
    https://ibb.co/gfezZf

    3. Then, I have to follow this sequence of steps by using ENTER Command
    https://ibb.co/dzEzZf
    https://ibb.co/i9Vj0L
    https://ibb.co/jrENn0
    https://ibb.co/m9MP0L

    This finally loads Operating System in my Laptop. These are the steps I have to do every time when I power-on my system

    If I don't press F9 at Step 2 to open Boot Options Menu, it will open the below screen with PXE Error
    https://ibb.co/knsKZf


    This really annoys me as I have to do above steps again and again to load Operating system in my Laptop. This will be a great help if someone guide me in resolving this issue!

    Laptop Specifications
    Model - HP Envy 15 Notebook PC
    Microprocessor - 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7-4700MQ
    Memory - 16 GB
    Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)
    OS - Windows 10 x64

    This Laptop Model came with 1 TB Hard drive and Windows 8 OS, but I manually added Samsung SSD 850 EVO mSATA 250 GB drive to install Windows OS in it. Actually it worked well for few years, but when I upgraded my system from Windows 8 to Windows 10 this problem arised.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 19,208
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #2

    Does HDD you had Windows on still have active BOOT partition on it ?. Looks like your BIOS can't make it's mind where to BOOT from. Can you post a picture of your Disk management ?
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 x64
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Thanks for the reply CountMike. Here is the Screenshot of Disk Management
    Windows 10 Boot Menu Problem (Have to load OS manually every time)-disk-management.jpg
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 13,557
    Windows10
       #4

    bharath394 said:
    Thanks for the reply CountMike. Here is the Screenshot of Disk Management
    Windows 10 Boot Menu Problem (Have to load OS manually every time)-disk-management.jpg
    See this tutorial - it usually sorts this sort of issue.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/85198-use-macrium-reflect-rescue-media-fix-windows-boot-issues.html
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #5

    You are manually booting /EFI/BOOT/boot64.efi which is the fallback bootloader. If you are going through to PXE it is likely that your NVRAM has a valid bootloader entry but it isn't working. If it was invalid (not existing) it should boot the fallback bootloader automatically as it is finding your EFI System partition (disk 1, partition 2) just fine.

    See if you can boot from EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi and/or EFI/grub2win/grub.efi (might be called grub64.efi or similar) by choosing the relevant directories at boot time as shown in your jrENn0 picture to see if these work.

    You then want to check the order of entries stored in your NVRAM (assuming that they are being stored correctly that is) and move a loader that you tested works to the top. Ideally don't use the fallback /EFI/BOOT/boot64.efi but rather the Windows or grub one as you prefer.

    Probably the easiest way is to use EasyUEFI which has a GUI to let you move them up and down. It is free for home use - just download the trial.

    There are various other methods to update NVRAM discussed in rodsbooks here : Keeping rEFInd Booting#bcdedit and also checking existence of BOOT.CSV files which can overwrite the bootloader choice discussed here : rEFInd Booting#fallback
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 x64
    Thread Starter
       #6

    cereberus & lx07, I tried both of your suggestions.
    First, I checked EFI/Microsoft/Boot/en-US/bootmgfw.efi.mui and it loaded OS normally. So then using EasyUEFI I changed "Windows Boot Manager" to top of Boot Menu as lx07 mentioned. Then I restarted the system to check its working, the same error is arised as I explained in this Thread.
    Then, I tried my luck with Macrium Reflect as cereberus mentioned. Here are the images of them
    Windows 10 Boot Menu Problem (Have to load OS manually every time)-2_1.jpgWindows 10 Boot Menu Problem (Have to load OS manually every time)-2_2.jpgWindows 10 Boot Menu Problem (Have to load OS manually every time)-2_3.jpg
    It asked for restart and I restarted with same error and manual loading of OS.

    But the strange thing now happened is that when I manually loaded my OS after above steps, Windows Boot Manager is not shown in EasyUEFI then I tried lx07's suggestion of Keeping rEFInd Booting#bcdedit
    Now Finally this is what shown in EasyUEFI
    Windows 10 Boot Menu Problem (Have to load OS manually every time)-easyuefi.jpg

    Boot Options Menu of my Laptop - For Reference
    Windows 10 Boot Menu Problem (Have to load OS manually every time)-boot-options.jpg
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #7

    bharath394 said:
    I tried lx07's suggestion of Keeping rEFInd Booting#bcdedit
    Now Finally this is what shown in EasyUEFI
    Sorry I wasn't clear - what the command is doing is adding the path you specify to the number one position in the NVRAM so you want to add Microsoft path.

    You need :
    bcdedit /set "{bootmgr}" path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgr.efi
    not :
    bcdedit /set "{bootmgr}" path \EFI\refind\refind_x64.efi.

    You can also check with bcdedit /enum firmware

    Code:
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> bcdedit /set "{bootmgr}" path \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgr.efi
    The operation completed successfully.
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> bcdedit /enum firmware
    
    Firmware Boot Manager
    ---------------------
    identifier              {fwbootmgr}
    displayorder            {d6955d50-e8e6-11e8-9ad7-806e6f6e6963}
                            {bootmgr}
                            {7d175573-459d-11e8-9d3e-83e1bfc713a9}
                            {7d175559-459d-11e8-9d3e-83e1bfc713a9}
                            {7d175559-459d-11e8-9d3e-83e1bfc713a9}
    timeout                 5
    
    Windows Boot Manager
    --------------------
    identifier              {bootmgr}
    device                  partition=S:
    path                    \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgr.efi
    description             Windows Boot Manager
    locale                  en-US
    inherit                 {globalsettings}
    flightsigning           Yes
    default                 {current}
    resumeobject            {1ca14360-c799-11e8-a0d2-b12621d39c90}
    displayorder            {current}
    toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
    timeout                 30
    
    Firmware Application (101fffff)
    -------------------------------
    identifier              {7d175559-459d-11e8-9d3e-83e1bfc713a9}
    description             Boot Camp
    
    Firmware Application (101fffff)
    -------------------------------
    identifier              {7d17555a-459d-11e8-9d3e-83e1bfc713a9}
    description
    
    Firmware Application (101fffff)
    -------------------------------
    identifier              {7d17555b-459d-11e8-9d3e-83e1bfc713a9}
    path                    \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi
    description
    
    Firmware Application (101fffff)
    -------------------------------
    identifier              {7d17555c-459d-11e8-9d3e-83e1bfc713a9}
    description             Mac OS X
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 6
    Windows 10 x64
    Thread Starter
       #8

    @lx07
    Even that haven't resolved the issue. Is there something else I can do? Does OS Re-installation resolves the issue? I think it might not.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 13,557
    Windows10
       #9

    bharath394 said:
    cereberus & lx07, I tried both of your suggestions.
    First, I checked EFI/Microsoft/Boot/en-US/bootmgfw.efi.mui and it loaded OS normally. So then using EasyUEFI I changed "Windows Boot Manager" to top of Boot Menu as lx07 mentioned. Then I restarted the system to check its working, the same error is arised as I explained in this Thread.
    Then, I tried my luck with Macrium Reflect as cereberus mentioned. Here are the images of them
    Windows 10 Boot Menu Problem (Have to load OS manually every time)-2_1.jpgWindows 10 Boot Menu Problem (Have to load OS manually every time)-2_2.jpgWindows 10 Boot Menu Problem (Have to load OS manually every time)-2_3.jpg
    It asked for restart and I restarted with same error and manual loading of OS.

    But the strange thing now happened is that when I manually loaded my OS after above steps, Windows Boot Manager is not shown in EasyUEFI then I tried lx07's suggestion of Keeping rEFInd Booting#bcdedit
    Now Finally this is what shown in EasyUEFI
    Windows 10 Boot Menu Problem (Have to load OS manually every time)-easyuefi.jpg

    Boot Options Menu of my Laptop - For Reference
    Windows 10 Boot Menu Problem (Have to load OS manually every time)-boot-options.jpg
    Something weird is going on here. Those Macrium screens are what you get it a legacy bios pc not a uefi pc.

    Some pcs are clever enough to boot from a uefi installation even if bios is set to boot from legacy bios.

    Are you sure the bios is set to boot from uefi first?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 19,208
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #10

    Is there a CSM setting in BIOS ?.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums