Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    03 Aug 2015 #11

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ
    Jeff
    PS, good points.
    Thank you, sir.
    I guess you've now become MinionJ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    03 Aug 2015 #12
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Thornton View Post
    Thank you, sir.
    I guess you've now become MinionJ?
    I like Minions!!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    03 Aug 2015 #13

    Can I just clarify something here? (And yes I know this has been posted elsewhere)

    So I'm an insider. I am a Vista user. But I have a second hand HP mini-desktop that has a Pentium IV 2+ GHz (and it hyperthreads). So could I install the very first TP installation that I downloaded way back in the fall, and upgrade it to the newest Insider version? By the way, I'd be sticking to the x86 build.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    03 Aug 2015 #14
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Thornton View Post
    Can I just clarify something here? (And yes I know this has been posted elsewhere)

    So I'm an insider. I am a Vista user. But I have a second hand HP mini-desktop that has a Pentium IV 2+ GHz (and it hyperthreads). So could I install the very first TP installation that I downloaded way back in the fall, and upgrade it to the newest Insider version? By the way, I'd be sticking to the x86 build.
    If you can get a copy of the last build 10240,.. you might be able to get that to work. Check out Microsoft News.. I got a good ISO from them.
    HTH
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    03 Aug 2015 #15
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,142
    Windows 10 Pro

    I believe the very old Insider builds are already expired. Still, if your CPU won't run 8, it won't 10.

    Regarding XP, anyone that wants to upgrade has, or they have a really good reason not to. It's ridiculously cheap to get a copy of Windows 7 starter for $10 off ebay (or less). Then you can upgrade to 10 for free. If you can't spend $10 on your OS, I doubt free will change anything.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    03 Aug 2015 #16

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    I believe the very old Insider builds are already expired. Still, if your CPU won't run 8, it won't 10.

    Regarding XP, anyone that wants to upgrade has, or they have a really good reason not to. It's ridiculously cheap to get a copy of Windows 7 starter for $10 off ebay (or less). Then you can upgrade to 10 for free. If you can't spend $10 on your OS, I doubt free will change anything.
    But the x86 version should run, no? I thought the CPU issues are only on x64?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    03 Aug 2015 #17

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    If you can get a copy of the last build 10240,.. you might be able to get that to work. Check out Microsoft News.. I got a good ISO from them.
    HTH
    Sounds good.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    03 Aug 2015 #18
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Germany
    Posts : 146
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit

    Windows 10 will run better than 7 or 8 on older machines, it has lower system requirements and will adapt better. It was made to be an universal OS for all different platforms like Xbox, tablet or phones.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    03 Aug 2015 #19

    Quote Originally Posted by mkdr View Post
    Windows 10 will run better than 7 or 8 on older machines, it has lower system requirements and will adapt better. It was made to be an universal OS for all different platforms like Xbox, tablet or phones.
    Yeah I thought all of that NX/SSE2 business was just on x64 builds. When I tested the initial Win10 TP builds, I used a VM on my known incompatible machine (for x64). I'll try to fetch the 10240 build like BunnyJ suggested.

    Anyhoo, sorry to derail the thread.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    03 Aug 2015 #20
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,142
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Thornton View Post
    But the x86 version should run, no? I thought the CPU issues are only on x64?
    Only one of them is. NX is still a requirement in both. CMXCHG16 is the one that's required for 64 bit.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Insider Preview users and Upgrade today. we getting it?
woke up excited for the upgrade, found the Windows ~BT folder on my win 81. PC, but not my tes pc running the Insider preview RTM, is it going to be staggered to us as well as normal people that reserved, or will we be able to activate then...
Windows Insider
Will tp users be able to upgrade straight to win10?
I have been using win 10 tp for quite a while and I'm pleased with it. Just curious am I going to have to reinstall another windows to get win 10 or be able to go straight from Windows 10 when it releases? Thanks for the help.
General Support
The free Windows 10 upgrade means users won't be buying New PCs
Sorry, PC vendors: The free Windows 10 upgrade means users won't be buying new PCs | PCWorld
Windows 10 News
Would this be a Windows 9 Killer
Hi there. Most people using Linux primarily wish for ONE WINDOWS application that could run on it -- Ms OFFICE. Photoshop is another but there are some alternatives to that one - but Ms OFFICE is THE app above all the others that people want....
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:33.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums